IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Fartbox

Trakanon Raider
My personal opinion, formed during my university education in CS and cemented having to deal with people and their "fallout":

Learn assembly language, best for your current target platform - most likely x86 or ARM. Not as your first language, but as a second language. Then go into the debugger and look what it created from your code. This obviously doesn't work well on interpreter/bytecode languages like JavaScript/Python/Java. If you program C/C++ go to https://godbolt.org/

Once you learned how a processor operates, how the registers and its access to memory works suddenly a lot of high level concepts like call-by-reference and pointers, even pointers to pointers will click into place, making you an infinitely better programmer.

Then you read things like this: https://akkadia.org/drepper/cpumemory.pdf

This 1000x. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I imagine fundamentals are greatly lacking from a boot camp course.

i would think one of the following

How to Design Programs, Second Edition (uses racket to teach)

Followed by

Algorithms | Coursera (can take individual courses for free)

Followed by a personal project is a more reasonable route than learning assembly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My opinion is if you don't want to be stuck in QA forever, you should probably start looking. Earlier in our careers it's much easier to switch. I've switched a bunch of times and it's a little of greener pastures and a bit of just being bored. A big part of the reason I left Raytheon was I wasn't doing much development the past couple of years and I was afraid if I stayed too long I'd be stuck. Probably done switching jobs now, but if you don't want to be in QA please get out
I don't mind QA if I can get a fair bit of programming in. Any decent QA job should have some because you need to have a robust automated regression testing system.

So, I'm having trouble interpreting my boredom. 5+ years in the same job? QA itself is just boring no matter how much you have to do? Not enough development work due to being understaffed for the last two years?

Vinen

God is dead
I don't mind QA if I can get a fair bit of programming in. Any decent QA job should have some because you need to have a robust automated regression testing system.

So, I'm having trouble interpreting my boredom. 5+ years in the same job? QA itself is just boring no matter how much you have to do? Not enough development work due to being understaffed for the last two years?

QA is a dead career. We don't even hire for it at my company anymore. QA has been replaced with highly skilled specific targeted areas such as Performance, Scale, Security, etc.

• 1Picard

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea QA is dead. And Scrum is the future! All those small software companies will definitely be replacing one QA job with 3 highly skilled, very specific jobs.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have QA here. I don't know their dev stuff though. Mostly they just automate scripts to manipulate firmware

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
We have QA here. I don't know their dev stuff though. Mostly they just automate scripts to manipulate firmware
That's a bit of grey area. "Automating scripts" doesn't sound too complicated. I mean, our test system is SCons, shell, and 95% Python scripts, but it's close 30k lines at this point.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
They developed a massive framework around it and have servers in data centers worldwide that they run nightly. It's so massive at this point that they're being reined in a bit

Vinen

God is dead
Yea QA is dead. And Scrum is the future! All those small software companies will definitely be replacing one QA job with 3 highly skilled, very specific jobs.

Then a developer should be doing that work. Simple tasks that the majority of QA do shouldn't require a secondary function to perform. If you arn't hiring for a specific role just hire another dev.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I can see it both ways, but I will tell you that Windows patching with SDETs was miles ahead of Windows patching post SDETs.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My opinion is if you don't want to be stuck in QA forever, you should probably start looking. Earlier in our careers it's much easier to switch. I've switched a bunch of times and it's a little of greener pastures and a bit of just being bored. A big part of the reason I left Raytheon was I wasn't doing much development the past couple of years and I was afraid if I stayed too long I'd be stuck. Probably done switching jobs now, but if you don't want to be in QA please get out

Yeah I didn't mind the performance engineering role in and of itself. GM just made it boring as fuck. Even before they announced layoffs and all work came to a screeching halt. I would have done nothing but come to the office for 8 hours a day doing absolutely nothing. My old coworkers are just now getting newly assigned projects. So it was 8 months of doing absolutely nothing.

This data science job I have now is a ton of fun though. Although I wouldn't considering it a developer job all I do is code in python to use pandas. Most everything else is in our data stack of Fivetran -> Snowflake -> Looker. I do get to develop our new extraction tool though and it seems they're going to force me to do in in Java. Which I haven't really done in years. So that's going to be fairly painful.

If you're bored at a job seriously bail. I should have bailed GM several years earlier.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Then a developer should be doing that work. Simple tasks that the majority of QA do shouldn't require a secondary function to perform. If you arn't hiring for a specific role just hire another dev.

If I was a developer who had to not only develop features but also write a bunch of selenium scripting or whatever on top of my own unit tests I'd probably tell you to go fuck yourself. Or just quit.

Are you really talking about SDET over the traditional QA employee?

Vinen

God is dead
If I was a developer who had to not only develop features but also write a bunch of selenium scripting or whatever on top of my own unit tests I'd probably tell you to go fuck yourself. Or just quit.

Are you really talking about SDET over the traditional QA employee?

Yes. I should have been clearer. Manual QA is dead as a career. Thank god-

I also wouldn't hire a SDET who isn't capable of being a member of the main development team also. I'm not a fan of the Core Dev team looking down on secondary functions.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, maybe I should stop using QA as a descriptor. No one's running manual QA except when release nears. Those should be automated, but easier said than done.

But there's still some "manual" aspects to the job, like triaging automated results. I'd love to rid of the whole "janitor" aspect of the job.

I don't think anyone on the dev team looks down on QA except for the product architect, but he looks down on everyone. He openly mocks his own boss's code.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm looking at taking a udemy course, or just an online course to really solidify my skills and build some portfolio projects that make sense.
It's hard to keep chugging along after nearly a year and a half out of bootcamp without so much as an interview.
I didn't go back to see if you'd posted background before, so sorry if this isn't on target, but this seems very odd to me. Have you not built any portfolio projects in the last year and a half?
Also, I'm not sure how bad your bootcamp was, but one Udemy course isn't going to fix everything. You just need to be building things. Pick something that you'd like to make and then don't stop googling until you've built a basic version of it. Repeat.

Aside from actually being able to dev, if you've gone a year and a half with no interviews, you've got to be doing something wrong. You should probably post some details of what exactly you're doing and maybe PM someone your actual resume/linkedin/whatever so you can get some direct feedback on what's going wrong. If your pitch is so mis-tuned that you can't get anyone to talk to you, your skill never gets a chance to matter.

Edit:
Ok, got curious and checked.
Since I last posted I have taught myself a tiny bit of vue.js, node.js, mariadb, mongodb, Drupal 8, jumped from windows to linux, learned css grid front to back, taught myself how to use GIMP properly.
Ok so you have the pieces for fullstack web dev, which is what I assume your bootcamp was for. If you don't already have any, build something, anything, that shows you can fullstack. It's fine if it's simple, but make it complete and usable (not hideous and reasonable usability are bonuses) so you can actually send it to someone and have them use it. Use Github, and make sure your code is well commented. Have an actual portfolio page, simple is fine. We've been hiring people from those bootcamps and have been happy to have them. All of them do what I just said, and they all look almost idential, but it seems to work for them (a few have gotten taken offers at other places instead, so it's not just us being desperate). If you're not getting interviews with those skills listed, then something else is definitely wrong.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I have a tough time agreeing someone doing code camps should learn assembly
Oh, here is another hard pill to swallow: Like math and music instruments, programming is a skill that can be told, but not taught.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh, here is another hard pill to swallow: Like math and music instruments, programming is a skill that can be told, but not taught.
Sure. But why assembly?

I write assembly for work, I have a computer engineering degree and I agree with it's importance. But I don't understand why we would suggest someone trying to break into the field via coding camps should spend significant time on it.

Vinen

God is dead
Sure. But why assembly?

I write assembly for work, I have a computer engineering degree and I agree with it's importance. But I don't understand why we would suggest someone trying to break into the field via coding camps should spend significant time on it.

100% Agree. Coding camps should stick to common skillsets like Java, C# and associated technologies. They shouldn't go into more difficult-to-do-right technologies like Assembly and Machine Code.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think learning assembly is great, I just think like maybe that's something you do on the side once to see how stuff works. Unless assembly is your goal, then by all means

• 1Like