IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
The language itself or the concepts? I know it took me a while before object oriented concepts became instinctive.
I'm at the level where I don't know the difference. Currently I'm copying stuff without understanding what I'm doing.

Jasker

brown Officer please /brown
Is Swift a good first kinda second language?

I want to do mobile app development and I know obj c and Swift is for iOS. Know a tiny amount of python but don’t really want to program for web. Am I saying this right? Any insight?

Rude

Potato del Grande
Met with management for my 1:1 today. Was asking for my career goals and such. Told him I'm definitely interested in Tech Lead, would consider management in the future. They told me that basically no one wants to do that stuff - the guys capable of tech leading don't want to do it, and the guys that want to do it aren't close to qualified. Part of my interview here was they wanted someone in those roles, so over the next few years I'll be moving into it slowly -s mall projects and stuff.

What blows my mind is we have a guy on my team that has worked here for 25 years. Same title as me, because he refuses to mentor anyone or move into a lead position. He's actually salary capped and they are unable to promote him.

I can't imagine being that short-sighted and stubborn.
Have you ever asked him why he refuses to move up or is your opinion naive and arrogant? I take it you've never played in the lead / management arena?

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Have you ever asked him why he refuses to move up or is your opinion naive and arrogant? I take it you've never played in the lead / management arena?
He just doesn't want to manage people or lead. Some people are like that, I get it. My opinion is also pretty naive.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Being in charge of others can be a pain in the ass that you don't want even if you're capable enough to do it. I prefer to just be another cog in the machine even though that means I have little authority over what I do. It does help that I lack any kind of ambition.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Okay super pals...

2 or more ISPs load balanced into "one" for speed and failover purposes.

Solution needs to be as close to plug and play as it can be - aka system admin dumb, not network admin easy.

looking at this ...

Never heard of Peplink. The absolute simplest that fits your use case would probably be a Linksys LRT224 or a Ubiquiti Edge router.

• 1Solidarity

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Being in charge of others can be a pain in the ass that you don't want even if you're capable enough to do it. I prefer to just be another cog in the machine even though that means I have little authority over what I do. It does help that I lack any kind of ambition.
Yeah, I made the leap from "do-er" to "manage-er" and regret it about 51% of the time. I've also inherited some team members that are "ok", and made a bad call in hiring another one.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Three of our customers got hit by major ransomware attacks so far this week.

At some point it stops being a coincidence...

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
TIME TO START MAKING IT RICH GAMING THE SYSTEM BOYS. New benefit program at work. Finally going to get me some diversity bucks. If I refer a diversity hire I get $5k.

• 1Worf

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Wanted to get some input on my companies current practices of how to properly permission folders on a network share. Maybe I'm just being daft, but I think how we currently do things is archaic and a bit of a mess.

The gist is that each division has a folder on a dfs share. Basically, heres a folder, dump what you want in there, create other foldes/subfolders/etc. Occasionally we'll ask the heads of each division to work with thier team to get rid of any unnecessary files. Each divisions folders is locked down via SGs (read/write, read, etc, though oddly the naming convention for the SGs isnt standardized or properly documented) and they can only see folders they're permissioned for. Over 30 divisions, each division has probably at least a 1000 folders within their shares, plus the files (several hundreds of thousands).

On occasion, divisions will work together, which means an employee(s) may need access to files/folders in another divisions share, but only the requested files/folders. This most likely means we create a new SG(or SGs) to restrict access to the requested files/folders. This can be somewhat time intensive.

This isn't a process I created or am obligated to fix but I am interested to see what some of you guys do instead of doing whats described above (because its shit). We do use sharepoint/teams for some things, but its not even close to fully integrated. I think standardization, user education, and properly documenting things could go a long way, but I have to think theres a better solution/practice to the cross sharing of folders/files that we aren't currently using.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Hanlon's razor bruh
Wellm our security is awful and we have VPNs into our customer environments using unsecure passwords easily searched up in our Sharepoint that hundreds of third party contractors in other counties also have access to, so that covers the stupidity part...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The younger guy on our team is making massive commits constantly, so much so that it's disruptive reviewing his code. But he's ambitious so whatever. What's annoying Is I think in his head he thinks that he with the most story points completed wins, not realizing that story points are relative to the engineer. What bothers me the most is I'll comment on his code reviews and immediately he shoots down my criticism.

I don't nitpick shit, but I do look for things that stick out or are useless. For instance he defined two vars and did

C:
id = other_id = 1;

Just to initialize them. He then never used other_id, so I commented that it isn't used. He then references that it was used on that line I listed above and it's ok. I mean technically sure, but why have an extra byte hanging around? Plus it looks stupid and unprofessional. You could argue that's nitpicking but it stood out to me.

Another was we changed the labelling on hardware but his code was printing old labels. I pointed it out and he argued users are used to the old labeling so we should use that. Boss backed me up on that.

Just senseless. I don't mind someone defending their code but for obvious things, come on?

I try to mentor junior engineers as much as I can, but you can tell this guy is hearing nothing you're saying sometimes.

• 1Solidarity

Vinen

God is dead
The younger guy on our team is making massive commits constantly, so much so that it's disruptive reviewing his code. But he's ambitious so whatever. What's annoying Is I think in his head he thinks that he with the most story points completed wins, not realizing that story points are relative to the engineer. What bothers me the most is I'll comment on his code reviews and immediately he shoots down my criticism.

I don't nitpick shit, but I do look for things that stick out or are useless. For instance he defined two vars and did

C:
id = other_id = 1;

Just to initialize them. He then never used other_id, so I commented that it isn't used. He then references that it was used on that line I listed above and it's ok. I mean technically sure, but why have an extra byte hanging around? Plus it looks stupid and unprofessional. You could argue that's nitpicking but it stood out to me.

Another was we changed the labelling on hardware but his code was printing old labels. I pointed it out and he argued users are used to the old labeling so we should use that. Boss backed me up on that.

Just senseless. I don't mind someone defending their code but for obvious things, come on?

I try to mentor junior engineers as much as I can, but you can tell this guy is hearing nothing you're saying sometimes.

Ouch. Hopefully you can work with his Manager to get him nick'd on his review for not accepting feedback from more Senior Engineers. It will help teach listening.

I'd have had a long conversation with the Engineer on the side by now.

Large Code reviews & no taking Feedback are two bad characteristics.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So I'm dumb and have no idea on software shit... how do large enterprises go about naming shit in GitHub Enterprise? It's flat so every branch has to be unique...

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
He created a variable, initialized and never used it.

And he is complaining about you pointing that out.

Tell him he is flat out wrong about that one. That is not nitpicking. Tell him he writes code so other people can read it, and having extra unused variables reduces that.

If he still doesn't get it as him if this is fine.

C:
id = other_id = other_id1 = other_id2 = other_id3 = v other_id4 =other_id6 =other_id5 =other_id =other_id = v other_id = other_id = other_id = other_id = other_id = other_id = other_id = other_id =other_id1 = other_id21 = other_id5 =other_id8 =other_id =other_id7 =other_id = 1;

and see his reaction.

Also you don't have to explain to him. Reject the code review if he keeps doing this.