IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
If he hasn't done any programming before I would suggest NOT to do C++. That shit is awful and will likely discourage someone new to programming from pursuing coding as a profession or hobby.
Depends on the version. C++ has cleaned up a lot of pain points with C++11 and later, although it could be argued that sometimes the solution is worse than the perceived problems it fixes.

Also:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I started in C and I think it's a great first language

Depends what your goals are though. With C++ am I correct in thinking he's looking at game dev?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I started in C and I think it's a great first language

Depends what your goals are though. With C++ am I correct in thinking he's looking at game dev?

Of course that is what initially caught his interest but been trying to get him to think bigger than that. A family friend of ours that he knows just got out of college and is now working at Space X as a programmer so I try emphasis to him that there are lots of coding jobs (assuming journalists don't take them all) than gaming.

So far for this week he is just plowing thru the Khan academy course doing 3-4hrs a day. Seems like a lot of Java so far. I've started going thru some of the stuff you guys are linking.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Yeah, I think game development isn't all it's cracked up to be. In fact, sounds like a really punishing career -- tight deadlines and potentially super long hours. You better freakin' love coding if you want to go down that road.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Of course that is what initially caught his interest but been trying to get him to think bigger than that. A family friend of ours that he knows just got out of college and is now working at Space X as a programmer so I try emphasis to him that there are lots of coding jobs (assuming journalists don't take them all) than gaming.

So far for this week he is just plowing thru the Khan academy course doing 3-4hrs a day. Seems like a lot of Java so far. I've started going thru some of the stuff you guys are linking.
Honestly once you learn one language at a fundamental level, picking up a new language is mostly learning the intricacies and syntax. The fundamentals of software engineering are what matters

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly once you learn one language at a fundamental level, picking up a new language is mostly learning the intricacies and syntax.
Also known as: "Good C programmers can write in any language, great C programmers can write C in any language."

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I think game development isn't all it's cracked up to be. In fact, sounds like a really punishing career -- tight deadlines and potentially super long hours. You better freakin' love coding if you want to go down that road.
Its not that you have to love coding, it's that management, especially middle management and project management in game studios is a total shitshow ruled by nepotism with a side of incompetence and narcissm. Mostly of the "he already shipped a game once, so he knows what he is doing!" and "he's a famous designer with his name on the front of the box" shit.

From a computer science perspective game development is interesting, because not only do you have a lot of different problems to solve (who are different for each game, depending on the game even realtime) but it constantly evolves at the edge of CS knowledge, like AI.

The downside is that as a programmer you have to accomodate designers who think they are the idea men and who push programmers around even when the programmers can prove that what the designers want is impossible, either with current hardware or mathematically. The coder is always the one who gets blamed that he didn't make it work.

Also, the development for games is basically agile on hyperdrive: no defined goal, because the design for most of the games is fluid while in development. Things didn't work out, weren't fun or there are great last-minute ideas that get added. Due to a deadline looming technical debt never gets resolved, and you never have post-mortems to learn what worked and what didn't.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I used to write Python like it was C and it was a mistake. Just didn't jive well
To this day I have problems switching between C-style languages and Python. For the first hour or so I when switching to Python I end statements with a semicolon - it is so fucking ingrained into my brain that I can't even help it, because while programming I am actively thinking about other things. Same goes for Lua.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Met with management for my 1:1 today. Was asking for my career goals and such. Told him I'm definitely interested in Tech Lead, would consider management in the future. They told me that basically no one wants to do that stuff - the guys capable of tech leading don't want to do it, and the guys that want to do it aren't close to qualified. Part of my interview here was they wanted someone in those roles, so over the next few years I'll be moving into it slowly -s mall projects and stuff.

What blows my mind is we have a guy on my team that has worked here for 25 years. Same title as me, because he refuses to mentor anyone or move into a lead position. He's actually salary capped and they are unable to promote him.

I can't imagine being that short-sighted and stubborn.

• 1Dislike

Kiki

Log Wizard
I'm kinda in that position. Maxed, but I don't want necessarily want to move up. More stress, more responsibility, more people breathing down my neck. Whereas now, I can do whatever I want and my boss is cool with it. Do I really want more crap for another $20k a year? Or do I want to play video games at work?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So uh... My work hired a, "nonbinary" person. Never actually met one of these people in real life before today. Dude is an account executive or something and wears a blazer, business outfit constantly as he deals with actual people. I said hello and asked his name (nothing about this person is effeminate, just an average looking ginger dude). His name is Jacqueline and I must have not deadpanned that hard enough because he explained to me that he is nonbinary and chooses to go by feminine names despite not being feminine at all for... reasons. He also doesn't care which pronouns anyone uses.

I feel like I am being trolled.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So uh... My work hired a, "nonbinary" person. Never actually met one of these people in real life before today. Dude is an :emoji_rotating_light::emoji_rotating_light::emoji_rotating_light: account executive:emoji_rotating_light::emoji_rotating_light::emoji_rotating_light: or something and wears a blazer, business outfit constantly as he deals with actual people. I said hello and asked his name (nothing about this person is effeminate, just an average looking ginger dude). His name is Jacqueline and I must have not deadpanned that hard enough because he explained to me that he is nonbinary and chooses to go by feminine names despite not being feminine at all for... reasons. He also doesn't care which pronouns anyone uses.

I feel like I am being trolled.
Careful man, it could be someone from here
Wait, we have salesmen here?

BURN THEM.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
What blows my mind is we have a guy on my team that has worked here for 25 years. Same title as me, because he refuses to mentor anyone or move into a lead position. He's actually salary capped and they are unable to promote him.

I can't imagine being that short-sighted and stubborn.
We have a Russian fellow as one of our devs, been with the company for probably 15 years. Same title as the day he started. I think he just wants to code and be left alone.

SeanDoe1z1

More stable in life now and want to take some risks. Network engineer resigned recently and corporate has been really happy with my job performance and is most likely willing to allow some type of grooming.

Fairly large network across a couple states (telecom). Hits the big name cisco/juniper/ericsson platforms. I expressed interest and will interview. Just wanted to see what other people thought.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Dilbert is such a good reminder that every company you're at sucks exactly as much, and in exactly the same ways, as every other company you could be at instead:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When does "learning the language" shift from memorizing to second nature?
For me it's just repetition. You write a million for loops and you just know what to do

Then being a pro in one language I'm proficient in all languages (in similar styles, like I'd be awful at html)

• 1Like