IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
QA should test to the requirements and never look at your code. If you are explaining to them what to test for, then they are worthless. They should independently examine the requirements, test to make sure it meets those, and inform you if it doesn't. There should be no back and forth.

Vinen

God is dead
QA should test to the requirements and never look at your code. If you are explaining to them what to test for, then they are worthless. They should independently examine the requirements, test to make sure it meets those, and inform you if it doesn't. There should be no back and forth.
Agree.

QA should test requirements
QC should test code

That said, QA == QC == QE nowadays.

So, I am on the side where QA team members should be at the same level of knowledge as the developers. I am a Systems Architect who works within a QA Organization. How can you test code if you don't even have the basic understanding of how it works.

Retard functional testing can be done by the developers themselves. Functional testers as a job is vanishing quickly.

//We laid off all our functional testers at the start of the year. Skilled developers were hired to work within the test organization in their place.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Most of our testing is automated. We might have an advantage because using our product can be automated(static analysis). Part of my job is to monitor those results, investigate failures, and write bugs for devs. This is the boring part. I do like working on the code for the test system though.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Protip: ensure your logging system doesn't shit the bed after a few days.

Software Glitch Pauses LightSail Test Mission | The Planetary Society

TLDR: Their logging system shit the bed and now they can't reboot without either sending an astronaut into orbit or hoping that a charged particle zipping around in deep space causes a system failure and reboots it.
As more beacons are transmitted, the file grows in size. When it reaches 32 megabytes-roughly the size of ten compressed music files-it can crash the flight system. The manufacturer of the avionics board corrected this glitch in later software revisions. But alas, LightSail's software version doesn't include the update.

Late Friday, the team received a heads-up warning them of the vulnerability. A fix was quickly devised to prevent the spacecraft from crashing, and it was scheduled to be uploaded during the next ground station pass. But before that happened, LightSail fell silent. The last data packet received from the spacecraft was May 22 at 21:31 UTC (5:31 p.m. EDT).
It's like a Clancy novel with the timing.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It doesn't matter how much I fuck up in my code I can always say at least I did not crashed a space ship.

Vinen

God is dead
It doesn't matter how much I fuck up in my code I can always say at least I did not crashed a space ship.
Just goes to show how little value QA organizations have.

(I am not talking about typical QC/QE... I am talking about the process pushers)

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Just goes to show how little value QA organizations have.

(I am not talking about typical QC/QE... I am talking about the process pushers)
I'm sure this is a feeling most developers can sympathize with...

I code a bug, it's my bug. QA misses a bug... it's still my bug. No blame lands on QA. Why? It's always on the software itself and the developers. Now granted they can't catch every bug, but everywhere I worked, QA were useless sacks of shit breathing my oxygen.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Almost every QA person I knew or know are people who were previously failed developers. All the people I interned with who were terrible and never had a knack for development work all have become QA analysts.

Vinen

God is dead
Almost every QA person I knew or know are people who were previously failed developers. All the people I interned with who were terrible and never had a knack for development work all have become QA analysts.
This makes me lol because it sad and starting to end.
We just axed the three people who fit this bill earlier this year.

I made the choice to join a Quality Organization to help combat this problem. My whole thought is if you can't understand the product white box... how can you test it black box.

Tenks

Funnily enough I've never heard of my company ever firing someone for incompetence but the QA person on my former team got fired a few months ago after being on performance probation for 6 months.

Vinen

God is dead
Funnily enough I've never heard of my company ever firing someone for incompetence but the QA person on my former team got fired a few months ago after being on performance probation for 6 months.
Ahh, this wasn't performance based. It was more your skillsets no longer align so we are going to lay you off.

Most people leave the instant they get put on a PIP here. Option is like one months severance or a PIP (more or less a formal process to fire people safely)

Tenks

I also heard when she met with HR about her performance she got ultra defensive and "It isn't my fault" about all the issues surrounding the QA process. When I left the team I told the manager straight up the reason the software is so buggy going into production is QA (her) either flat out doesn't test things or has no idea how to understand the results of the tests. The entire thing was a M/R daisy chain which took maybe 3 hours to run an entire suite but she'd say she's kicking something off then not report about anything until like the next day. She'd just sit at her desk watching bollywood (w/o headphones on) crap on her iphone.

God I hated her.

Vinen

God is dead
I also heard when she met with HR about her performance she got ultra defensive and "It isn't my fault" about all the issues surrounding the QA process. When I left the team I told the manager straight up the reason the software is so buggy going into production is QA (her) either flat out doesn't test things or has no idea how to understand the results of the tests. The entire thing was a M/R daisy chain which took maybe 3 hours to run an entire suite but she'd say she's kicking something off then not report about anything until like the next day. She'd just sit at her desk watching bollywood (w/o headphones on) crap on her iphone.

God I hated her.
PS: Product quality is a dev problem.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Major bugs passing through to production environments after having been signed off on by QA is not a developer problem. It's very clearly a QA problem. Otherwise what's the point of even having QA staff?

Vinen

God is dead
Major bugs passing through to production environments after having been signed off on by QA is not a developer problem. It's very clearly a QA problem. Otherwise what's the point of even having QA staff?
The fact the code got into production is a QA problem.

The fact there is a bug is a dev problem.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
It is super simple, all QA has to do is document the failures of the tests. Sometimes we push stuff into Prod that we know has technical debt( a.k.a. bugs), QA just asks the iteration manager to sign off on that. Everyone is happy that way, even though we successfully pushed a known bug to production. Software doesn't have to be perfect, it just have to be good enough =).

Except when u are making embedded medical software, then yes, it has to be fucking bulletproof.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm not sure why people get the attitude of chosing whether to blame the tester or the creator for a problem that exists in the creation. It's both people's fault.