IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Teams will replace Skype at some point. I think it's fine, but I guess I haven't used Slack to compare it too. I don't really get all hot about chat clients anyway. If I can read the text and maybe send an occasional file I'm fine with it.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
We're migrating from Skype to Teams soon so my team is using it now. It's meh... except for Bummer Bert stickers, I use those regularly in IMs.

C6gJ8CjXMAABPOf.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Whomever at Microsoft decided that Outlook emails needed a 'Like' button deserves a circular saw to their brainpan.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If I `like` Mist's post, will he think that I'm agreeing with him or it's a sarcastic poke?

• 1Worf

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Gentoo is the second worst. Arch is just a bit ahead.

Also Teams isn't as good as slack, but is "thrown in" for most of the enterprise licenses so it'll spread (and get better). I use both (and a jabber client, and text, and email...), and teams as an enterprise scale is pretty good.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I actually didn't have too much problem with Arch untilI got to a weird video config issue that I couldn't get to work quite right, messed with drivers and shit for days. You know what fixed it? Scrapping that shit and installing ubuntu. magic.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Gentoo is the second worst. Arch is just a bit ahead.

Also Teams isn't as good as slack, but is "thrown in" for most of the enterprise licenses so it'll spread (and get better). I use both (and a jabber client, and text, and email...), and teams as an enterprise scale is pretty good.
Slack can't do traditional dial-in bridges even on the enterprise version, can it?

Teams is a pretty good product, not on its own merits, but because it is a true VOIP conferencing system that interfaces with the PSTN, and it's actually really well integrated with the rest of the Microsoft products. The calendar integration is very good, and it's basically its own sharepoint front end, because a Team is also a Sharepoint site, effectively.

Where it sucks is the actual IM/chatting part, aka the thing most people want to do with it most of the time. It manages contacts and conversations pretty poorly.

Vinen

God is dead
Slack can't do traditional dial-in bridges even on the enterprise version, can it?

Teams is a pretty good product, not on its own merits, but because it is a true VOIP conferencing system that interfaces with the PSTN, and it's actually really well integrated with the rest of the Microsoft products. The calendar integration is very good, and it's basically its own sharepoint front end, because a Team is also a Sharepoint site, effectively.

Where it sucks is the actual IM/chatting part, aka the thing most people want to do with it most of the time. It manages contacts and conversations pretty poorly.

You need to integrate with Zoom or another tool for dial-in bridges.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Teams/Skype still better than WebEx and that bullshit.

Slack is my preferred as its basically Work Discord.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't want to hear any complaining from anyone until you suffer the way I have being forced to move to G-Suite for everything, including hangouts.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Microsoft's suite of products. Corporate Gmail is just... terrible.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We used Google shit at akamai and I hated it. We were a server company and we had to use Google drive to store documents, made no sense.

This is the same company that gave me a MacBook pro to develop on an ide only available on windows and needed to test on Linux. Had 3 monitors, one for each os and vm.

Current company isn't immune to dumb shit. EMC employees had a VPN service, and they still use it today. Dell had their own. I was hired as a Dell employee but can't access file shares so had to get both vpns and disconnect/connect as needed working from home. Then they came out with a third that supported both, but it doesn't work.

• 1Worf

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
You need to integrate with Zoom or another tool for dial-in bridges.
What? No, MS just requires pre-pay for bridges. We have a dial in now while we ween ourselves off of Webex.