IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Siliconemelons

Prior job was all Skype for phones, chat and tele conference - actually liked it a lot. New place I am wanting to move away from Cisco VOIP arm & leg and goto Teams... we only have 2 numbers- everyone is extensions, so it should not be overly difficult - but I do not really know the in's and outs of how to get "a phone number" to get into "teams" and have a call manager for the 2 lines "Hi press 1 for reception, or enter your extension" simple...

Guess I just start by, calling my M$ rep...

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Prior job was all Skype for phones, chat and tele conference - actually liked it a lot. New place I am wanting to move away from Cisco VOIP arm & leg and goto Teams... we only have 2 numbers- everyone is extensions, so it should not be overly difficult - but I do not really know the in's and outs of how to get "a phone number" to get into "teams" and have a call manager for the 2 lines "Hi press 1 for reception, or enter your extension" simple...

Guess I just start by, calling my M$ rep...
I made my first call with Teams (mobile app) over wifi the other day to one of our IT guys off site who was answered on the desktop app and was connected to our network via VPN. Nice and clean, no issues. We aren't set up for it to be the primary/sole telecom solution though.

Siliconemelons

Yeah, when at prior job S4B was primary phones and had outside access, so you could log on to it even outside network on your laptop no VPN, or cellphone app etc. It was great...

What I don't know is SIPs and Trunks and call managers and all that "phone" stuff.

I have 2 tenants of O365 - each with 1 "main" number - everyone is extensions and their extensions are already in AD. I just need the "real" numbers to answer a call manager say "enter 1 for reception, or enter user ex" bla bla..

Phones are one of those things I never really did

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, when at prior job S4B was primary phones and had outside access, so you could log on to it even outside network on your laptop no VPN, or cellphone app etc. It was great...

What I don't know is SIPs and Trunks and call managers and all that "phone" stuff.

I have 2 tenants of O365 - each with 1 "main" number - everyone is extensions and their extensions are already in AD. I just need the "real" numbers to answer a call manager say "enter 1 for reception, or enter user ex" bla bla..

Do you have Skype or Teams?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Either way, this is how you build an autoattendant off your incoming trunks to your cloud tenant.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Either way, this is how you build an autoattendant off your incoming trunks to your cloud tenant.

Don't skip this part near the beginning, this is how you create your dummy AD accounts to be virtual phone users that you can then program to be an autoattendant.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Had to fix a memory leak, but found like a hundred more in the process. Really bad coding practice.

They put a static buffer inside a state machine, but the code can exit outside the state machine leaving dangling memory buffers everywhere. Moved the static shit into the class and handle memory on the wrapper instead of state machine. Jesus Christ. And this code is really old , no idea why it was reported just now.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Had to fix a memory leak, but found like a hundred more in the process. Really bad coding practice.

They put a static buffer inside a state machine, but the code can exit outside the state machine leaving dangling memory buffers everywhere. Moved the static shit into the class and handle memory on the wrapper instead of state machine. Jesus Christ. And this code is really old , no idea why it was reported just now.
nice. good find

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
I would like some feed back from people that are in these fields, or know a lot about them. Basically my employer is saying these will be the most sought after jobs for the future of the company.

I would like some advice on these, like pros and cons if you currently do the job. What has the most potential to get a job easier at any company out there. They would be willing to possibly pay for certifications and training for these fields. I know its like "well what do you want to do" but I am not really sure... I like job security, and money, lol. My background is mainly technical, hardware and software support. With a focus in Healthcare IT. I would appreciate any feedback and advice.

Cloud and system engineering- Seems interesting to me.

Data analytics and science- Not sure on this one.

Data engineering and analysis- Not sure about this.

Security- Interesting to me.

Software engineering- Not sure about this one

Design- I think they mean application design mainly.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
what are proficient at?
If you pick up programming, you can get into lot of health related hl7 stuff/biztalk.

Anything that you choose from that list you will not be good in 1 month, it will take some time of full immersion to be good at it.

Khane Khane is your biztalk guy, chaos chaos is security and backend server, Vinen Vinen is just a talker, he just talks for a living. wormie wormie is data modeling and AI modeling.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I wouldn't recommend BizTalk as an HL7 engine. Sure it does it but it's becoming an orphaned technology at Microsoft. They are even migrating a lot of BizTalk's core functionality to other technologies like Logic Apps.

Khane

I would like some feed back from people that are in these fields, or know a lot about them. Basically my employer is saying these will be the most sought after jobs for the future of the company.

I would like some advice on these, like pros and cons if you currently do the job. What has the most potential to get a job easier at any company out there. They would be willing to possibly pay for certifications and training for these fields. I know its like "well what do you want to do" but I am not really sure... I like job security, and money, lol. My background is mainly technical, hardware and software support. With a focus in Healthcare IT. I would appreciate any feedback and advice.

This is literally the entire software development lifecycle and stack... it's like saying "the future is computers!"

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor

Security is a very broad field, lots of specializations. Right now, companies are just throwing money and jobs at security people. That isn't going to last though. When we come out the other side, there will be a reckoning for all the Chads who wanted to "do cyber" and don't really care enough to know about security or IT in general.

90% of the time in security, you're the bad guy. You're the one telling the devs no, or telling management about risks they don't want to hear about, or telling admins about how maybe having your pocket DA account password written on a white board in the unsecured server room (true story) isn't ideal security practices. That's where experience in IT comes in, helps to know when to press the issue because these guys are being fuckheads or when to lay off because shit happens when money's on the line.

Security is fun though. I've done vulnerability mgmt and systems admin on security tools and pentesting/red team stuff, it's a lot of fun and always interesting.Whatever you pick, learn to code.

• 1Like

Khane

Security are the "bad guys" when they clearly don't know what the fuck they are doing or talking about. Which in my experience is like 90%+ of all cyber security personnel.

It's a fast moving field and is kind of still in the fledgling stage for most companies so it's understandable.

• 1Like

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
what are proficient at?
If you pick up programming, you can get into lot of health related hl7 stuff/biztalk.

Anything that you choose from that list you will not be good in 1 month, it will take some time of full immersion to be good at it.

Khane Khane is your biztalk guy, chaos chaos is security and backend server, Vinen Vinen is just a talker, he just talks for a living. wormie wormie is data modeling and AI modeling.

Im not really proficient in any of those things really. And this would be to get a leg up on getting an internal position. If I can gain a cert in something it would show the hiring manager that I am interested and willing to learn. Theres usually a scope in those categories in healthcare IT and I would be trained on specifics if I were to be hired.

This is literally the entire software development lifecycle and stack... it's like saying "the future is computers!"

Lol, true. I guess to elaborate on these they have some suggestions to what training and cert they would consider to be helpful if I were seeking a job in those fields within the company.

For cloud system and engineering they recommend - CompTIA Cloud+ Certification
Data Analytics and science - Learning about Hadoop, Hive, R for data science, Spark, SQL
Data engineering and analysis- Google Professional Data Engineer courses
Security - CompTIA Security+ Certification, cysa+, ccp, cissp, csslp, pentest+, casp, isaca, cism, and cisa...
Software engineering - CompTIA Cloud+ Certification, Google Professional Cloud Architect Certification, Certified Cloud Security Professional, and ISTQB-BCS Foundation Level Certification

Last edited:

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
Security is a very broad field, lots of specializations. Right now, companies are just throwing money and jobs at security people. That isn't going to last though. When we come out the other side, there will be a reckoning for all the Chads who wanted to "do cyber" and don't really care enough to know about security or IT in general.

90% of the time in security, you're the bad guy. You're the one telling the devs no, or telling management about risks they don't want to hear about, or telling admins about how maybe having your pocket DA account password written on a white board in the unsecured server room (true story) isn't ideal security practices. That's where experience in IT comes in, helps to know when to press the issue because these guys are being fuckheads or when to lay off because shit happens when money's on the line.

Security is fun though. I've done vulnerability mgmt and systems admin on security tools and pentesting/red team stuff, it's a lot of fun and always interesting.Whatever you pick, learn to code.

I've looked into some basic coding stuff before. I would love to learn it, but it seems daunting to me, and im not even sure where to start or whats going to be able to teach me coding efficiently without me getting overloaded with info.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I've looked into some basic coding stuff before. I would love to learn it, but it seems daunting to me, and im not even sure where to start or whats going to be able to teach me coding efficiently without me getting overloaded with info.
Learn to Code - for Free | Codecademy works for basics. When I was in school, they made us learn java, php, html/css, and sql. For my purposes, I wish I'd spent that time learning python and C, because I had to play catchup later. No Starch Press has a load of badass coding books that you can pick up cheap when they do the humble bundle every couple of months.

I'd listen to these guys on that though, many of them are devs of some kind and might have a better idea.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
Learn to Code - for Free | Codecademy works for basics. When I was in school, they made us learn java, php, html/css, and sql. For my purposes, I wish I'd spent that time learning python and C, because I had to play catchup later. No Starch Press has a load of badass coding books that you can pick up cheap when they do the humble bundle every couple of months.

I'd listen to these guys on that though, many of them are devs of some kind and might have a better idea.

Do you think the data science one would be good to start? Its Python, SQL, data visualization and machine learning.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Do you think the data science one would be good to start? Its Python, SQL, data visualization and machine learning.

Data science is a real broad term too. Are you already good at data or understanding how companies use big data? Or have used a data warehouse? If you've done none of it. Start with SQL and understanding relational databases. Then go from there.

• 1Like