IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
He said something like people can't tell if I'm bothered of angry by comments And stuff. I mean, in general no. I think code reviews are as much for the originator as they are for everyone else to learn too. If I got offended by someone asking questions or suggesting alternate solutions I'm in the wrong profession.

I'm just a very reserved person. I'm very calculated about how I do things and I often don't speak unless my voice needs to be heard (I know, opposite of forum Noodleface).

But my wife says the same About me, so there's truth.

I was just.glad to hear my boss say I'm one of the few that has expressed interest in leading and he thinks is actually capable of doing it.

Even though I'm older than most, I'm still only 7 years in the field.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Behold! The glorious GrogLibs! Kharzette/GrogLibs

Doing that manually took FOREVER. Holy crap I never should have done it that way.

What I ended up doing is pulling the initial commit from mercurial (back from 2008) and advancing one commit at a time, copying all the files to a git repo and committing with --date whateva.

I had to watch every commit to make sure it didn't mangle moves, and watched for dead-end stuff I didn't want in the tree. I had some big sidetracks.

Once done I found this How to mass-edit commits with git filter-repo

That helped me get the commit dates fixed. In the python callback I just did commit.committer_date = commit.author_date

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Sourcetree's rebase interactive is neat. You can edit old commit messages and squash commits together. Hell that is almost as good as perforce was 20 years ago.

It did completely shit itself a couple of times but I had a backup.

I'm doing my tools directory from the same enormous messy old tree I pulled the libs out of manually, but this time I used git-filter-repo to extract the stuff and bring it out of the Tools subdir. The main problem with this part of the tree is often there will be a huge 10 line commit message, all for stuff in the libs that changed, but all that is left in tools is like one insignificant line in a project file changed.

With the rebase thing you can squash several of these together and then edit out all the notes for crap that doesn't exist in the tree anymore.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Trying to switch your company from no one ever working from home to everyone working from home at the drop of a hat is fun times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Trying to switch your company from no one ever working from home to everyone working from home at the drop of a hat is fun times.
Yeah my side gig is managing a VDI setup for a small business and trying to explain to Rebecca the HR chick how to use a VPN has been frustrating.

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Multiply that times 3000 companies and this is what our engineering teams are dealing with right now.

2 weeks ago it was "how do we put thousands of softphone users on our VPN tomorrow."

Now, two weeks later, every ticket is "intermittent audio issues for some VPN users..."

Oh yeah it's definitely the PBX's fault that you're having VOIP audio issues across that VPN you slapped together with lollipop sticks and toothpaste, and home users with terrible internet.

Even basic shit like "dynamic NAT and voip do not mix" blows people's minds.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Oh yeah it's definitely the PBX's fault that you're having VOIP audio issues across that VPN you slapped together with lollipop sticks and toothpaste, and home users with terrible internet.
What weve done should be a fairly plug and play solution albeit far from ideal; use logmein. We use it at work for IT purposes so when all this happened we just extended it to everyone for the time being with trial accounts. Nope, not that simple. Just getting people registered to use it was mind boggling difficult. Miss spelled emails, people constantly not accepting the invitation with 24 hours so we have to keep sending them out.
Yeah my side gig is managing a VDI setup for a small business and trying to explain to Rebecca the HR chick how to use a VPN has been frustrating.
Not even how, but the concept youre using two computers at once is simply lost on people. I spent an hour on the phone with someone trying to get her into goto meeting so I can see wtf her problem(spoiler alert she didnt read the guide we created about all this) is because she was trying to join it from her computer at work, where its blocked. I finally had to tell her to shut off her laptop and turn it back on because she couldnt grasp minimizing her remote session and opening up the goto link on her home computer.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
What weve done should be a fairly plug and play solution albeit far from ideal; use logmein. We use it at work for IT purposes so when all this happened we just extended it to everyone for the time being with trial accounts. Nope, not that simple. Just getting people registered to use it was mind boggling difficult. Miss spelled emails, people constantly not accepting the invitation with 24 hours so we have to keep sending them out.

Not even how, but the concept youre using two computers at once is simply lost on people. I spent an hour on the phone with someone trying to get her into goto meeting so I can see wtf her problem(spoiler alert she didnt read the guide we created about all this) is because she was trying to join it from her computer at work, where its blocked. I finally had to tell her to shut off her laptop and turn it back on because she couldnt grasp minimizing her remote session and opening up the goto link on her home computer.

Yeah at my previous company we switched VPN solutions like 3 times within 3 years because of management turnover. Even with a controlled project it's a pain in the ass getting something like that rolled out just because you are at the end user's mercy/home setups. It was alleviated a bit with screen sharing, so you could actually see what they were looking at. Trying to have them explain to you what's on their screen made me want to blow my brains out.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Mist Mist you can probably appreciate this..

So we turned on EC500 for our remote workforce today, and within one hour we had three 911 calls go out of our office from people dialing into the PBX, then hitting 9 for an outside line, 1 for long distance, then fat fingering another 1.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
This is why you don't make 9 your dial out number.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist Mist you can probably appreciate this..

So we turned on EC500 for our remote workforce today, and within one hour we had three 911 calls go out of our office from people dialing into the PBX, then hitting 9 for an outside line, 1 for long distance, then fat fingering another 1.
Fat-fingers and dumbshits aside, what did you use to enable EC500 in bulk? Or did you just manual entry all of them?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Fat-fingers and dumbshits aside, what did you use to enable EC500 in bulk? Or did you just manual entry all of them?

It actually appears to be a DTMF issue where the system sees a single 1 press as a double press, which means we're going to spend the next month back and forth with the carrier and wireshark traces.

Phone guy scraped everybody's cell numbers from AD, then wrote a script that dumped them into the PBX and enabled EC500 button on all phones.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
lol 9. I remember all the way back in middle school kids try and trick other kids into dialing 9911.

Also Chromebooks can go to hell.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Our company has approx 160k employees. The VPN has been both surprisingly stable at times and at others... Not

They actually told us to avoid it unless we needed to connect to apps/shares that required it.

They let us take all our office equipment home to borrow. I think we're in it for the Long haul.

Just hoping I don't get laid off

• 1Solidarity

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If we didn't have VPN I'd definitely be laid off. Luckily it works well and the gov is cool enough to allow us to work remotely - which is pretty unprecedented for this type of work.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
If we didn't have VPN I'd definitely be laid off. Luckily it works well and the gov is cool enough to allow us to work remotely - which is pretty unprecedented for this type of work.
Yeah we are doing the same thing hardcore and people are realizing that we aren’t being so inefficient.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It actually appears to be a DTMF issue where the system sees a single 1 press as a double press
That's not going to be fun at all.

Since people aren't actually using their hardphones, you really don't need EC500, because you don't need simultaneous ring.

What about installing the softphone app on their cells?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
That's not going to be fun at all.

Since people aren't actually using their hardphones, you really don't need EC500, because you don't need simultaneous ring.

What about installing the softphone app on their cells?

Turned out the issue was RTP being set to RFC 2833 instead of inband on the phone switch.. So that not only fixed the users dialing 911, it also eliminated a long standing hard to replicate complaint of DTMF issues when dialing into Exchange UM and entering voicemail PIN's.

Asked my basement phone troll about the Avaya-X lite client for IOS, and he claims that it doesn't do anything EC500 doesn't do, and would lock up the helpdesk with support requests as the phone config is extensive. Is he bullshitting me?