IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Serious rose colored glasses there. AOL discs, 'memba them? Every idiot had an AOL account back then.
You could avoid the idiots by not going on AOL.

Having a straight PPP dialup account in those days was so nice.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
When I first got AOL i thought gopher was the internet. I was pretty let down, actually.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I remember NetZero had an annoying banner you could "back" to disable, but then they fixed it. So I'd try to game but the ad would try to force itself on top of your game. I never went back

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You could black hole the ad for a while, then they made it stay on top of your window even if it timed out. Because this is a prison on planet bullshit.

I wish I'd had some kind of tech mentorship back then. I knew enough to steal media and find the dank web shit but I didn't get into coding or real IT shit until much later.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
AOL used to be heavily client based and I recall having a version that would give you access to all of the "premium" stuff. I think it just had modules that it would load / unload (or flags it would set) based on your account type, but I guess you could force them to stay loaded somehow. I didn't really know much about it but I remember thinking it was super cool. Then they had the AoHell and all those "hacker" tools that were fun. I mostly only used them to kick people offline cause I was super l33t.

I also made one of those "proggies" in VB that had a whole bunch of buttons that said they would do cool stuff but all they did was focus AOL and trigger Alt+F4. It was always hilarious duping someone into downloading it then watching them go offline. The things that amused me as a kid...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I remember sending people links in AOL and it would open up a little control panel on your end if they clicked it that could do things like open their CD rom tray or make loud noises out of their speakers. Great times.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
AOL used to be heavily client based and I recall having a version that would give you access to all of the "premium" stuff. I think it just had modules that it would load / unload (or flags it would set) based on your account type, but I guess you could force them to stay loaded somehow. I didn't really know much about it but I remember thinking it was super cool. Then they had the AoHell and all those "hacker" tools that were fun. I mostly only used them to kick people offline cause I was super l33t.

I also made one of those "proggies" in VB that had a whole bunch of buttons that said they would do cool stuff but all they did was focus AOL and trigger Alt+F4. It was always hilarious duping someone into downloading it then watching them go offline. The things that amused me as a kid...
I got my start in coding by writing proggies in VB

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yay we can all work for new jersey ::barf::

My first job offer out of University finishing a CS program was to work at Raymond James Financial in Tampa, Florida. Where they would have trained me to be a COBOL developer. Now, I had only heard of COBOL from my Dad who learned some of it at university back in the 70s. Also from a few older professors who mentioned it because groups like Raymond James had been approaching the university to start teaching COBOL again rickity tick. They were planning on donating a ton of money to get this going.

So I took some tutorials on it and shit and gagged. ENJOY YOUR CAREER.

1586783133893.png

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
My first job offer out of University finishing a CS program was to work at Raymond James Financial in Tampa, Florida. Where they would have trained me to be a COBOL developer. Now, I had only heard of COBOL from my Dad who learned some of it at university back in the 70s. Also from a few older professors who mentioned it because groups like Raymond James had been approaching the university to start teaching COBOL again rickity tick. They were planning on donating a ton of money to get this going.

So I took some tutorials on it and shit and gagged. ENJOY YOUR CAREER.

View attachment 262291
I would rather use this: