IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
By the way, if you ever need to scrape HTML to find elements, click buttons, etc. a great library is Html Agility Pack.

Html AP is my jam. I've built quite a few apps to scrape and archive data from some seriously shit (designed) websites using this lib.

You can use this lib quite effectively with powershell as well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I'd personally just use python and maybe the beautiful soup library and the basic http requests library to do this.

No need to make a console app.

Sorry to interject... But what about the SMTPlib? You can use that to get the email then use beautiful soup to extract/manipulate data?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Just started job hunting in Boston area. Every software engineer job req has like 200+++ applicants. The fun begins.

Noodleface Noodleface Vinen Vinen you guys hiring?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
When I was in San Antonio we advertised for Project Managers in our field. The number of people that were project managers in IT or something related to it that applied was a LOT. All from Austin. Apparently they all scanned and saw project management even though it was not related to what they do at all. A flood of applicants, I quit looking at them after a while.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I'll check if we have open reqs. VMware is still hiring unlike DELL.

Are you in the MA area now?
Yeah saw VMWare open reqs.

Not yet. Planning on moving at end of Aug depending on how job market outlook is looking there. Can pick up and move pretty quickly if sooner. Ideally looking for anything Java, Spring, Node, Angular, JavaScript, back-end, microservice architecture, aws, docker, etc. Can dabble in front-end stuff too (html/css/js/bootstrap/angular etc) but backend has been primary focus for past 1.5 years.

Strong background in C but hesitant to go back to it or make another pivot to embedded/low level programming.

Currently have been pursuing masters degree full time since fall. Hoping to go back to working full time and just finishing degree doing one class a semester (its remote). If job market is looking bleh I may just do another full time semester in fall but would really like to get back in the full-time workforce. I just need to be in Boston.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Why not look at remote jobs? No reason to lock yourself to one area.
That's true. I'm open to remote as well. I'll take a look. Literally just started the hunt today so it'll probably take a grueling few months of work but it's a painful and kinda fun process.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
That's true. I'm open to remote as well. I'll take a look. Literally just started the hunt today so it'll probably take a grueling few months of work but it's a painful and kinda fun process.
My company traditionally only hired individuals able to work physically at our location. But because of COVID and the noticeable increase in productivity lately, they have opened up to hiring remote devs.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
My company traditionally only hired individuals able to work physically at our location. But because of COVID and the noticeable increase in productivity lately, they have opened up to hiring remote devs.
Interesting. Ill take a heavy look at remote then.

I just need to be in Boston for other reasons. Remote is fine though. My buddy at facebook has been pushed to working remote and won't return to office until beginning of 2021 at earliest. Makes sense companies would be filling remote spots.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Completed certifications in LookML development, Salesforce Administration, and Salesforce Development along with my other cheevos for my organization. I am going into my demand for a raise in a strong position. Along with a professional certification in our own product which nobody else on my team has for some reason.

Putting out feelers for a new job and already have one on the line which would be where I want to be salary wise. I do really like this company though. I can objectively prove I've put more time in advancement/increasing technical ability than any other team member and architected solutions saving millions on top of it. All in under 6 months with the Rona going on.

Daddy is getting some money.

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sorry I realize my nope was a bit crass. As far as I know, my org is not hiring anyone right now (firmware). I can't speak for all of Dell though. I know that they have some plans to start hiring again but it was vague direction.

• 2Like

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I do mostly firmware, remote, and I've been looking for my next gig as the current project will be winding down probably in August. It definitely seems like things are picking up and there are definitely more companies getting comfortable with remote workers.

What sites are you guys using leads on direct positions or contracts? Indeed and Monster are infested with shit-tier headhunters that can barely mumble their script. I use Google's screening service on all unknown numbers and 95% of them don't even try to say anything. I've blocked probably over a hundred email addresses.

LinkedIn is becoming Facebook Remastered with shitty listicles, virtue signalling, and hosting Cybercoders ads.

• 2Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I do mostly firmware, remote, and I've been looking for my next gig as the current project will be winding down probably in August. It definitely seems like things are picking up and there are definitely more companies getting comfortable with remote workers.

What sites are you guys using leads on direct positions or contracts? Indeed and Monster are infested with shit-tier headhunters that can barely mumble their script. I use Google's screening service on all unknown numbers and 95% of them don't even try to say anything. I've blocked probably over a hundred email addresses.

LinkedIn is becoming Facebook Remastered with shitty listicles, virtue signalling, and hosting Cybercoders ads.
I don't directly apply, but have done most of my recruiting through networking via industry (and vertical) contacts.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Foler Foler go work for Draper and make bombs. They are in Boston
Eh I'd prefer not to do DoD again. Ends up I don't have to be in boston this Fall so now it opens up lots of places. The question is - what tech huh is even worth looking in now? Fuck Seattle, nyc, san fran etc. Gonna look in state, remote, texas and red states.

Siliconemelons

Eh I'd prefer not to do DoD again. Ends up I don't have to be in boston this Fall so now it opens up lots of places. The question is - what tech huh is even worth looking in now? Fuck Seattle, nyc, san fran etc. Gonna look in state, remote, texas and red states.

If you don't care / need to make they $$$ you command / should / would - EDU is always needed non-retards in IT.