IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Exactly this. If I ever ended up working freelance/consulting where I needed my own shit I'd buy one though.

The thing I really fucking hate is that maximizing a window completely changes how it interacts with stuff. I hate that.
Mbp is so overpriced especially with some questionable decline in QA over the years. That said, I originally was a Thinkpad guy for 10 years. Needing another laptop for photo editing the mbp has now transitioned to full time dev laptop as well. Actually busted out my t460 for the first time in 5 months the other day and now I think I'll just sell it.

The new 16inch is fucking dreamy for doing dev work away from desk. So much real estate brah.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I will say this. My iCloud has been broken for 3 fucking weeks. Won't sync. Been working with apple over the phone with it. While this is ridiculous that something so basic isn't working, their customer support is dope, English speaking American, will follow up with calls, escalate problem to engineering team, etc.

But c'mon now, fucking broken syncing? Bullshit.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Only thing that would separate me from MacBook is a shit keyboard. Sadly the latest keyboards are aids with travel time where you can’t tell if you pressed a key or not. Once my 2015 map dies, no more MacBooks unless they fix this gay shit.

oh and the power strip and whatever is lame as fuck. Plz stahp.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My work provided me with a magic keyboard and mouse and I really have grown to love the compact magic keyboard.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Only thing that would separate me from MacBook is a shit keyboard. Sadly the latest keyboards are aids with travel time where you can’t tell if you pressed a key or not. Once my 2015 map dies, no more MacBooks unless they fix this gay shit.

oh and the power strip and whatever is lame as fuck. Plz stahp.
Dude they fixed that with the 16 inch. One of the main reasons I upgraded from my 2017 15". Go type on the new 16 inch, it's tits, huge difference.

Power strip? You mean the touch bar? Whut?

Options on the 16 are spicy too. I don't even use a desktop. Run docker with 16 gigs allocated to it often. Gets prettyyyy toasty

Last edited:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Dude they fixed that with the 16 inch. One of the main reasons I upgraded from my 2017 15". Go type on the new 16 inch, it's tits, huge difference.

Power strip? You mean the touch bar? Whut?

Options on the 16 are spicy too. I don't even use a desktop. Run docker with 16 gigs allocated to it often. Gets prettyyyy toasty
Yeah the Touch Bar or whatever the fuck. Shit is trash.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Touch bar I only use to leave zoom meetings and lock the computer.

But it looks cool.

• 1Worf

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Touch bar I only use to leave zoom meetings and lock the computer.

But it looks cool.
Is the magic mouse worth it? I'm using a Logitech generic Bluetooth mouse with scroll wheel (which I like). Doesn't look like magic mouse has scroll wheel and uses touch instead? Does that function as well?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Is the magic mouse worth it? I'm using a Logitech generic Bluetooth mouse with scroll wheel (which I like). Doesn't look like magic mouse has scroll wheel and uses touch instead? Does that function as well?

Well I didn't pay for it but I really like it. At the same time I highly doubt I would personally pay $90 for it. IDK If I ever have to give it back I'll let you know.

Yeah its a touch base scroll wheel and you can mission control with double finger double tap and zoom in with single finger double tap. Swipe across full windows with side swipe and shit. It's awesome for that.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Now that is pretty useless. Check out the new 16 inch tho as far as keyboard goes.
My mbp 2015 will be pried from my dead cold hands. When that dies I will consider a new MacBook before anything else but I have little faith in Apple.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
My mbp 2015 will be pried from my dead cold hands. When that dies I will consider a new MacBook before anything else but I have little faith in Apple.
Yeah I mean my first mbp, the one I traded in, logic board needed replacing after 2 months.

Shelling out 3.6k for a fucking laptop would be slightly less painful if the QA and innovation was still there.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Angular or front end design bros. Let's say you have a simple to-do list app. You delete an item from a list and want the app to reflect that.. After a http delete call would you make another API call to get the updated list or store a copy of the notes in an array locally in a service class and just splice it? What would be the most often used route to go about this?

Seems like it's more of a trade-off on performance versus data integrity.

• 1Cringe

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Angular or front end design bros. Let's say you have a simple to-do list app. You delete an item from a list and want the app to reflect that.. After a http delete call would you make another API call to get the updated list or store a copy of the notes in an array locally in a service class and just splice it? What would be the most often used route to go about this?

Seems like it's more of a trade-off on performance versus data integrity.
C'mon anyone? This isn't really any angular exclusive questions. Any front end people? Obviously less API calls would be better if you're being charged or if you have a high load. I hate the idea of replicating data on the front end but also double dipping my API calls. C'mon someone has to have an opinion.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
C'mon anyone? This isn't really any angular exclusive questions. Any front end people? Obviously less API calls would be better if you're being charged or if you have a high load. I hate the idea of replicating data on the front end but also double dipping my API calls. C'mon someone has to have an opinion.

My opinion is that front end design is for fags.

Dunno why you would need the third call unless they refresh the page. Even then you could prevent it with their cookie or some other trigger.

1. Call the list it returns a list().
2. User deletes something presses delete.
3. Since you already have the shit populated on the page simply remove that shit and update it on the page without calling the list again from your api call.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
My opinion is that front end design is for fags.

Dunno why you would need the third call unless they refresh the page. Even then you could prevent it with their cookie or some other trigger.

1. Call the list it returns a list().
2. User deletes something presses delete.
3. Since you already have the shit populated on the page simply remove that shit and update it on the page without calling the list again from your api call.
There is no third call whut.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Just gonna replicate the data on the page side for now.