IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Take a look at this one:

Using Vue with ASP.NET Core By Example

I bought this course a year or so ago and it's pretty good. It's everything you need to know from front-end to back-end to build a website w/authentication. Since you already have some knowledge I'm thinking adapting to Vue.js shouldn't be a huge deal. It's by far the easiest client-side framework to learn.

I really recommend going with Microsoft .NET since it includes everything you need, is rock solid, and the tooling is top notch.

Also, I really like Shawn Wildermuth. Our company used to pay for a Pluralsight license and he was probably my favorite instructor on that platform.

He's done really well for a guy with Down Syndrome!

vwe2w2pRTWhriAuqvHnA

Sorry I'm being an asshole when you are trying to help me, but I can't help it!

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I must be the odd one in bunch, because every time I go somewhere and they're just like... "Here's how to construct a website..." I just wanna go to fucking sleep. Boring ass HTML, boring ass CSS. I realize that JS isn't as boring as all that, but jesus christ.

"OhhhHHHHhhhhh, and look. We can change the background color!"

Yah, how about you change it to pink and put on a little fru-fru. Good grief, that's about how useful your information is to me.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Boring ass HTML, boring ass CSS. I realize that JS isn't as boring as all that, but jesus christ.
Once you have a solid foundation of how things work you are no longer watching those >2h tutorials. Your web searches are going to be filled with "how do i add a carousel with bootstrap 4", which may or may not help you with your task at hand. (If you somehow end up at Stackoverflow better abandon all hope. There be dragons: easiliy copied but wrong code.)

For a complete beginner though: bite your nails, but look for a tutorial that does a small but complete project start to finish. Also, most video players like Youtube let you speed up video playback. Shuffle through the basics to get to the meat and bones of things you are interested in.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Well, I mean, I already know the basics of HTML. I know that every (just about) opening tag has to have a closing tag. CSS looks simple enough, it's just so f'ing boring. That's a good idea though, completing a project. I'm already signed up to do a udemy class on JS, which uses both HTML and CSS.

Guess I'll try that.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well, I mean, I already know the basics of HTML. I know that every (just about) opening tag has to have a closing tag. CSS looks simple enough, it's just so f'ing boring. That's a good idea though, completing a project. I'm already signed up to do a udemy class on JS, which uses both HTML and CSS.

Guess I'll try that.

The true lesson on the path to professional programming is understanding that CSS and front end development is for fags and you should make fags do it. CSS is the most tedious stupid shit ever. I always hated it and today the thought of working on it makes me physically ill.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Once you have a solid foundation of how things work you are no longer watching those >2h tutorials. Your web searches are going to be filled with "how do i add a carousel with bootstrap 4", which may or may not help you with your task at hand. (If you somehow end up at Stackoverflow better abandon all hope. There be dragons: easiliy copied but wrong code.)

For a complete beginner though: bite your nails, but look for a tutorial that does a small but complete project start to finish. Also, most video players like Youtube let you speed up video playback. Shuffle through the basics to get to the meat and bones of things you are interested in.

Stackoverflow is great if you're just looking for examples of how shit can be used. Which is what most non-retards use it for. However, I have ran into more than a few people who just, quite obviously, copy pasted something they didn't understand then complained that it didn't work.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The real true lesson on the path to professional programming is understanding that markup languages like HTML, XML or CSS are NOT programming. Not Turing complete. Case closed.

It's remarkably close to decorating a christmas tree. Which, incidentally, is also not programming.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well boys. Daddy succeeded in getting a $30k raise within the same position for my contributions in the past 6 months. Objectively saving the company millions of dollars a year in service costs and being able to prove it goes a long god damn way.

That and exposing about $100k in monthly revenue that simply fell through the cracks. That they still haven't found a way to seize but it is on the table and they're trying to figure it out now.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The real true lesson on the path to professional programming is understanding that markup languages like HTML, XML or CSS are NOT programming. Not Turing complete. Case closed.

It's remarkably close to decorating a christmas tree. Which, incidentally, is also not programming.
You really think Turing completeness is what makes the mark up languages boring to read and write? Seems like a stretch. I guarantee you there is less than a handful people here that have ever considered Turing completeness when programming and yet they enjoy doing what they do. Then you have people In the world that use Coq or Agda daily and enjoy doing so and those languages aren’t Turing complete. Also FORTRAN used to be non Turing complete (because it didn’t allocate memory needed and it had to be done manually) yet it was widely used. Then you have things like regex which people use constantly and everyone knows that’s not Turing complete.

I think the dullness of html and CSS is not because its non Turing complete but because it’s dull and boring to a person trained in and predisposed to seeing logic structure in their work. Similar to a programmer using html, we can think of a mathematician using Latex (Turing complete btw) to present ideas in his mind, be they logical or empirical. In doing so, the mathematician isn’t coming up with new ideas and isn’t actively engaged in thinking about what he finds interesting. He is just prettying up what already exists in his mind and this sort of activity’s is just tedious boring shit which contributes nothing to the thought process. Like TJT TJT said, this type of work should be left to the artsy types for the same reason art departments are in different buildings on school campus than the math and science buildings.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Is anyone writing plain-Jane HTML and CSS nowadays? Unless your website is really basic I would think you're using some kind of client-side framework. And those aren't dull one little bit.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
You really think Turing completeness is what makes the mark up languages boring to read and write?
No, I was begin facetious. We shitpost around here, right?

Also, that Turing complete remark seemed to have triggered you, as you disregarded that I compared markup to decorating a christmas tree. Which it is, if you think about it for a bit. And that is the real reason it is boring: You structure content and add tags to it so maybe you can find/classify that content again and do something with it. You work with the content itself, not the program to handle content. You explained it quite well in your post, so I am amazed you go to great lengths about Turing completeness. However, you need to know how markup languages work, and you need to learn how to handle that stuff with things like DOM. You can learn the basic idea of markup languages and the usage of DOM in under an hour.

Oh, and don't bring up FORTRAN please: Whoever told you FORTRAN wasn't Turing complete probably never really saw the language. At least the version released in 1957 is Turing complete, and everything from 1953 onwards was still in development. The first iteration had no loops, but achieved iteration with two different GOTO statements. It also wasn't developed as a programming language, but as an "Automatic Coding System" to write assembly for you from the FORTRAN statements. Tailored to the IBM 704 target architecture it had commands for the 704's 727 tapes (READ/WRITE TAPE, REWIND), printer, drum memory (READ/WRITE DRUM) and a punch card recorder. The whole concept of a "higher programming language" just didn't exist back then. Its goal was to allow non-Assembly programmers to develop solutions to solve computations (which were usually done by humans called "Computers").

And that is why over the years FORTRAN evolved into what is just BASIC for engineers and scientists. They don't really know programming but want to write out their formulas so they can run them on a computer. To this day we still have FORTRAN around because a lot of engineering and scientific applications are writtin in it (at least the solver part). The success also came from the needs of NASA for the space race. For example NASA funded the development of the first commercial FEM solver called NASTRAN, which was written in FORTRAN and is used to this day.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
No, I was begin facetious. We shitpost around here, right?

Also, that Turing complete remark seemed to have triggered you, as you disregarded that I compared markup to decorating a christmas tree. Which it is, if you think about it for a bit. And that is the real reason it is boring: You structure content and add tags to it so maybe you can find/classify that content again and do something with it. You work with the content itself, not the program to handle content. You explained it quite well in your post, so I am amazed you go to great lengths about Turing completeness. However, you need to know how markup languages work, and you need to learn how to handle that stuff with things like DOM. You can learn the basic idea of markup languages and the usage of DOM in under an hour.

Oh, and don't bring up FORTRAN please: Whoever told you FORTRAN wasn't Turing complete probably never really saw the language. At least the version released in 1957 is Turing complete, and everything from 1953 onwards was still in development. The first iteration had no loops, but achieved iteration with two different GOTO statements. It also wasn't developed as a programming language, but as an "Automatic Coding System" to write assembly for you from the FORTRAN statements. Tailored to the IBM 704 target architecture it had commands for the 704's 727 tapes (READ/WRITE TAPE, REWIND), printer, drum memory (READ/WRITE DRUM) and a punch card recorder. The whole concept of a "higher programming language" just didn't exist back then. Its goal was to allow non-Assembly programmers to develop solutions to solve computations (which were usually done by humans called "Computers").

And that is why over the years FORTRAN evolved into what is just BASIC for engineers and scientists. They don't really know programming but want to write out their formulas so they can run them on a computer. To this day we still have FORTRAN around because a lot of engineering and scientific applications are writtin in it (at least the solver part). The success also came from the needs of NASA for the space race. For example NASA funded the development of the first commercial FEM solver called NASTRAN, which was written in FORTRAN and is used to this day.
Your remark about christmas tree wasnt disregarded, its alluded to, by comparing an intellectual process to a creative one, throughout my post. Also triggered? Do you need a dictionary for that word?

What you wrote about FORTRAN seems to ignore what i wrote about it. FORTRAN 77 had no dynamic memory allocation and memory space had to be defined prior to executing programs. This means the state space of any program was finite, very much a non turing complete property. FORTRAN 77 also didnt allow for recursion, another obvious non turing complete property as recursion is a necessity for at least one turing machine. Both of these issues were worked around with compiler optimizations but the language itself was no turing complete until FORTRAN 90.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Only on the internet can two people argue about a programming language that literally no one on earth gives a fuck about!

Kidding, I love you both.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
ShakyJake ShakyJake Everyone doing front end that I've encountered in the past 10 years is using frameworks. Unless you're just super old-school I am not really sure why you would ever use raw CSS anymore. But as Deathwing knows those frameworks sure are aids if you're a young QA engineer automating tests on frameworks that produce gibberish tags every single time the page is refreshed.

So, which Bob from Office Space are you?

The gangsta one.

• 1Solidarity

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
FORTRAN 77 had no dynamic memory allocation and memory space had to be defined
Not needed to be Turing complete. The IBM 704 had a very limited set of memory (4096 6bit words), but also access to multiple tape drives plus a magnetic drum. That magnetic drum memory can be accessed arbitrarily and would work akin to the tape of a tape-based Turing machine, only on an X/Y axis (sector/head) instead of a linear X-axis tape. FORTRAN I in its earliest form had specific commands for its use.

What you are probably thinking about are "Register machines", which are a Turing machine equivalent but not the original a-Machine design as described by Turing.

Also, recursion is not needed to be Turing complete. Turing completeness itself is a statement of ability instead of specific language features. How you implement the handling of state and processing inside the language is of no concern: Modern languages that did mostly away with loops can do this by recursion or function calls, in ancient times it was done by repeating the same block with GOTO. Ironically FORTRAN was the program language that invented the GOTO.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Look, sorry I stirred up all this shit between the neckbeards. And I mean that in most caring way possible.

Also, what frameworks would you recommend for HTML/CSS? I mean, as I've said before, I kind'a know it... Kind'a don't. Just wanna get a page up (besides a WordPress page) to be able show that yes, I'm able to do this shit.