IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
what frameworks would you recommend for HTML/CSS?
React (+ecosystem) is I think the biggest one. Angular is also popular. If you want something easier to learn maybe check out Vue. Most people say it's easier to learn than Angular.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
fucking telerik... so many exploits, so much work...
giphy.gif

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
This man gets it! Job security!
There are enough problems without it I'll be employed until I choose not to be.

Also, Chaos is red, I'm blue. There's a stark difference on our viewpoints on it :p

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Anyone here have any experience working at a Northrop or Raytheon type place? Considering taking a kind of parallel move here to get my security clearance sponsored but I've heard semi-mixed reviews. Is having a clearance really that big of a boon? I am considering moving to Texas which holds a large foothold in that industry.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Anyone here have any experience working at a Northrop or Raytheon type place? Considering taking a kind of parallel move here to get my security clearance sponsored but I've heard semi-mixed reviews. Is having a clearance really that big of a boon? I am considering moving to Texas which holds a large foothold in that industry.
Big DoD is where engineers go to die. Fuck that shit.

I mean honestly depends on what you want out of your career and the program you end up on. Personally I'd never go back.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I absolutely love working for a smaller company. I went from the biggest of big corporate at General Motors to a company of <300 people. I was employee 231 when I was hired. Now we're nearly at 600 and this is in barely a year.

I will focus solely on sub 500 employee companies from now on when I eventually get a new job. It's just way too awesome to actually have a direct impact on the entire organization and see your ideas come to fruition and be used by the entire company. Can't beat it. I got a raise and a promotion in just over a year solely because I could directly tell leadership my value and prove it.

No fighting for access, no hunting for people, just given problems to solve and solving them. My one gripe is the other side of this coin. When problems come up across the organization people brainstorm to find solutions and often just take the very first one that sounds remotely plausible. Leading to huge issues that I end up solving because of their complete lack of scalability. I've been trying to teach everyone to assume that your first idea is stupid and inefficient because it probably is. Especially mine!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Any other sysadmins or IT managers also seeing a huge uptick in hacking attempts over the last few months? I’m not talking rando script kiddy shit or port scanners, but actual targeted efforts. Just in the last month we’ve had two targeted phishing attacks, one that was blocked by our web filter, but would take you to a phony OWA sign in page that copied our branding, the 2nd being similar however it was hosted on a specific url of a compromised personal training website. Then someone literally tried about 500 logins to our Remote Desktop gateway using a list of employee usernames going back over a decade— most not even employed anymore. Constant attack attempts at our various Wordpress hosted websites too looking for vulnerable or out of date plug-ins.
Shit is keeping me up late at night— these latest ransomware attacks look fucking deadly.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Any other sysadmins or IT managers also seeing a huge uptick in hacking attempts over the last few months?
Hacking attempts are always high, but the targets change frequently. Especially for high value targets. Are you a high value target in the current social and political climate?

Just in may this year a lot of european HPC sites were targeted and had to shut down, some of which had announced that they are researching Covid-19. From the information after the fallout those HPC sites were used to mine cryptocurrencies. However, if the hackers were at the level of intelligence agencies this is exactly what I would do to make it look like some random hacker group got in and tried make a quick buck. After the exfiltration of all interesting data, of course.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Hacking attempts are always high, but the targets change frequently. Especially for high value targets. Are you a high value target in the current social and political climate?

Just in may this year a lot of european HPC sites were targeted and had to shut down, some of which had announced that they are researching Covid-19. From the information after the fallout those HPC sites were used to mine cryptocurrencies. However, if the hackers were at the level of intelligence agencies this is exactly what I would do to make it look like some random hacker group got in and tried make a quick buck. After the exfiltration of all interesting data, of course.

We’re a financial services firm, so yeah, we’ve always been under attack but this targeted shit is next level. If someone is trying employee names that haven’t been with us for over a decade, someone has done research and is making an obvious directed effort to get in.
Doesn’t help that no matter how much fucking anti-phishing training I give, users with Masters in economics or finance who presumably were capable of passing calculus simply can’t comprehend “hover over the link first”.

Don’t know if you’ve watched any of these ransomware in action platforms, but they’re fucking nuts. It’s no longer “oh well, they encrypted my file server, restore the snap from 30 minutes ago”, these guys make sure they’ve got your SAN and robotic library owned first before pressing the big red button. Just made my lead engineer whine like a baby because I told him to turn fucking 2fa on for access from trusted ip’s as well— radius, ssh, consoles— everything.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
We’re a financial services firm, so yeah, we’ve always been under attack but this targeted shit is next level.
If I were to plan an attack I'd try to cover my tracks as much as possible and do a phishing campaign to see if you didn't lock your front door, paired with a spearfishing campaign like "as you'd have heared we are under attack and have to confirm security." Then whack in a zero-day and infest the system and lay low for a few weeks to months. Go from there.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Any other sysadmins or IT managers also seeing a huge uptick in hacking attempts over the last few months? I’m not talking rando script kiddy shit or port scanners, but actual targeted efforts. Just in the last month we’ve had two targeted phishing attacks, one that was blocked by our web filter, but would take you to a phony OWA sign in page that copied our branding, the 2nd being similar however it was hosted on a specific url of a compromised personal training website. Then someone literally tried about 500 logins to our Remote Desktop gateway using a list of employee usernames going back over a decade— most not even employed anymore. Constant attack attempts at our various Wordpress hosted websites too looking for vulnerable or out of date plug-ins.
Shit is keeping me up late at night— these latest ransomware attacks look fucking deadly.
Garmin just got hacked about 2 weeks ago. Pretty interesting. Was a ransomware attack.