IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I watched a couple of hack the box videos ... about manipulating binaries, this guy showed how you could overflow a buffer, cause a segmentation fault, and then have it load up a new function after. Interesting!
repeat ad nauseum, get OSCP, get paid son!

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
1611719714514.png

Six years experience = Entry Level, yeah you're right that sounds ridiculous, let's put it in months, then it will be reasonable.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well they'll be hard pressed to find any actual experienced COBOL developers. That was my first job offer out of university. COBOL dev at Raymond James Financial in Tampa. I had under 90 days experience with COBOL at the time they offered.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Those with experience are either dead or have dementia. Just saying.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Those with experience are either dead or have dementia. Just saying.
Or are making absolutely massive amounts of money doing COBOL for banks, financial companies, or other massive enterprises.

• 1Like

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Best way to box up u2 and u4 servers for shipping across country when you dont have any of the original packaging?
Unless you have shitloads of them, it's going to be purchasing large boxes from FedEx/UPS and just packing the shit out of them manually, especially if you don't plan on re-using the packaging.

If you have shitloads? It may be time to custom-make some foam packing, stack them on pallets, wrap tightly with the packing version of saran-wrap, and then tie down to the pallet on the cardinal directions. Or hire a data center relocation company to do the above for you if you don't plan on doing that same move again in the near future. I'd put forth my former company (known for doing that kind of work a lot outside building servers/networking solutions) but their quality declined tremendously in the last couple of years, and they outsource trash workers now for the jobs.

If it's like 5-10 or something, and you don't have sensitive data on them (hiring a secure moving service is going to be $$$) FedEx/UPS away (or DHL if it's gotta be custom-style to the location) and just deal with the weight costs; won't be cheap but if you pack them decently you should be ok. For sensitive data and not using arrays that will shit the bed if you remove certain drives (EMC stuff comes to mind, like anything VNX related or Isilon, you are likely looking at secure moving service with your DC relocation) It's best to just mark drives and have someone you trust manually pack them up and move them to avoid having to deal with CoC headaches and questions. "Shit was packed by Frank; Frank put them in his van and drove to Wyoming. Frank unpacked them and re-inserted"

But for anything large scale, if you don't have a dedicated DC workforce to do it, you'll definitely want to look at a professional data center relocation company that does secure device transfers. Terminology may be off but should be easy to find companies that do that with reasonably good reputations.

Personally, if I'm shipping anything out of one of my remote datacenters on a small scale, I pay for smarthands to get the proper sized packaging and packing materials, get the weight of the device(s) beforehand to get shipping labels made from whatever company I'm using (depends on international vs. not) and then just have them pack and ship. We cryptographically wipe anything leaving the DC, so we don't need any security shit.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If you have shitloads? It may be time to custom-make some foam packing, stack them on pallets, wrap tightly with the packing version of saran-wrap, and then tie down to the pallet on the cardinal directions.
Nah, just have 4-5 servers need to get shipped back east since office here is closing. Obviously didnt have any of the original packaging they came in.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just learned that a friend of mine who's been a banker for 20 years and doing corporate bankruptcy processing for 12 years makes €3500 a month before taxes.

I'm fucking stunned.

• 1Worf
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you mean because its little money?
Yes, a banker with that level of expertise and her additional degrees required for her job should be pulling twice that much. I know it's not IT but I've seen the same apply on it. If you want a well paying job, you need to get a well paying job. You can't just have highly demanded skills and lots of work experience, you can still get paid like a mcdonalds burger flipper.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So, I went down the humanities path at college and after spending 6 years getting an MA degree in history I kind of lucked out on a job in an unrelated field, but it payed decent. But, all things come towards their end. Now it looks as if my days in that job are numbered and I have a feeling there aren't many job opportunities for forty-something history masters.

I have contemplated learning programming (I'm especially fond of Big Data, and learning to do back end stuff with databases) and have thought about spending a year trying to learn something in that field. But my question is, is this a futile venture for someone in his early 40s? Not that I couldn't learn it, but will anyone hire me?

I'm not expecting super high pay, or anything like that, just a steady job that pays better than flipping burgers and who's hours aren't too shit. Do firms hire people like me or are they just after young ones fresh out of college still with snot in their nose? Anyone have any experience doing something like this, or know people who have?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Yes, a banker with that level of expertise and her additional degrees required for her job should be pulling twice that much.
First, let me state that contrary to what most people expect, banks are horrible at managing money, especially their own. If you're not like an investment banker, you get paid as little as possible. They only pay you if they are desperate, with the primary example being COBOL programmers.

Second, "banker" as a job title doesn't mean anything in Germany. There are multiple educational paths in Germany, with a lot of them not coming from college/university, but by training: Bankkaufmann -> Bankbetriebswirt or Bankfachwirt. They all get paid from 2.000€ to 3.000€.

Those usually take the path training -> further education, and in Germany it's viewed on the level of a plumber. If you didn't go to a proper university for a at least a Bachelor degree you're not viewed as coming from an academic background, so you're not worth that much money. Germany has this work culture of "you need a piece of paper to prove your worth."

If you don't have that paper you're pretty fucked. How fucked? If you're in any regulated craft business (e.g. car repair) you need a certificate ("Meisterbrief"), or else you're not allowed to run a business in that field ("Meisterzwang"). Oh, any you need to be a member of the chamber of commerce and industry ("Industrie- und Handelskammer"). A paying member, of course.

Also, the most critical thing here is probably that in German law all bankruptcy cases go to court and involve lawyers and notaries. And those jobs take all the money.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
But my question is, is this a futile venture for someone in his early 40s? Not that I couldn't learn it, but will anyone hire me?
Age won't be as much of an issue outside of tech companies. If you want to work at Google, you might be screwed, but if you're doing database work for a refrigerator company, no one's going to care that you're in your 40s.

• 2Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Like half the people at my company switched to programming in their mid to late thirties.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks. I wouldn't want to work at some woke big tech firm. Give me a comfy job at the refrigerator company. I think I'll at least try out Codeacademy or similar to see how good or shit I am.

• 2Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
So, I went down the humanities path at college and after spending 6 years getting an MA degree in history I kind of lucked out on a job in an unrelated field, but it payed decent. But, all things come towards their end. Now it looks as if my days in that job are numbered and I have a feeling there aren't many job opportunities for forty-something history masters.

I have contemplated learning programming (I'm especially fond of Big Data, and learning to do back end stuff with databases) and have thought about spending a year trying to learn something in that field. But my question is, is this a futile venture for someone in his early 40s? Not that I couldn't learn it, but will anyone hire me?

I'm not expecting super high pay, or anything like that, just a steady job that pays better than flipping burgers and who's hours aren't too shit. Do firms hire people like me or are they just after young ones fresh out of college still with snot in their nose? Anyone have any experience doing something like this, or know people who have?
As others said, beyond a startup or even some of the big-tech companies, you'll be fine. My current co actually did/does internships with local community college/4y colleges for non-traditional students. I loved those interns, and was able to place ~60% of the ones who came through into my org.

Some other places (thinking Cloudflare) offer "returnships" which is sort of similar.

Get at it and get paid.

edit: My current company - Mass Media, ~25k employees, $5B in revenue, absolutely hungry for data scientist type people (along with ML/Ai stupidity). If you're going to learn any infrastructure, learn infrastructure-as-code as well.

• 1Like

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First, let me state that contrary to what most people expect, banks are horrible at managing money, especially their own. If you're not like an investment banker, you get paid as little as possible. They only pay you if they are desperate, with the primary example being COBOL programmers.

Second, "banker" as a job title doesn't mean anything in Germany. There are multiple educational paths in Germany, with a lot of them not coming from college/university, but by training: Bankkaufmann -> Bankbetriebswirt or Bankfachwirt. They all get paid from 2.000€ to 3.000€.

Those usually take the path training -> further education, and in Germany it's viewed on the level of a plumber. If you didn't go to a proper university for a at least a Bachelor degree you're not viewed as coming from an academic background, so you're not worth that much money. Germany has this work culture of "you need a piece of paper to prove your worth."

If you don't have that paper you're pretty fucked. How fucked? If you're in any regulated craft business (e.g. car repair) you need a certificate ("Meisterbrief"), or else you're not allowed to run a business in that field ("Meisterzwang"). Oh, any you need to be a member of the chamber of commerce and industry ("Industrie- und Handelskammer"). A paying member, of course.

Also, the most critical thing here is probably that in German law all bankruptcy cases go to court and involve lawyers and notaries. And those jobs take all the money.
Your google-fu is incredible but there's just one small mistake, IHK membership is given automatically and you need to start paying. It's not an actual barrier of entry to create a company. People complain that they have to be members rather than the other way around.

I know 4 other people working in the banking sector without being investment bankers and they get paid siiick money, but come to think of it, all of them have university degrees. I don't have one of those, I work IT and I don't have her problem. As a matter of fact her trade (Bankkaufman) paid more during training than the trade I learned (Informatikkaufmann), yet now I'm ahead of her with half the years working the job. And on paper she's still ahead, she has the Bankbetriebswirt you mentioned. Which according to what I googled should get paid at least 4k/month before taxes