IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't know what that means. I know troubleshooting can be pretty interesting and I'll let you know what our experts find out, but this is really just to give a general outline what I do and which MOC we should tell our boss we need is mainly what I'm after.

in unrelated news, the other guy managed to get back into his SQL server (I overheard on the phone him talking to their actual SQL expert and I could actually hear him shake his head as he told the guy that he should just reinstall the whole thing and pay attention this time) and it was smooth sailing.
Install dbeaver or something. Connect to that database with the sysadmin credentials from your local machine.

If this is successful then you will eliminate the possibility of it being an auth error with you software. Assuming it's using the same credential.

I've never attended MOC or anything. I just learn by troubleshooting and youtube tutoroals. The Microsoft official trainings should be good enough no?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
self taught only gets you so far in Germany, what really matters is that you can show certificates that prove you know what you claim you know. Which is why repatriated Russia Germans with challenging engineering degrees drive taxis here, because we just decide here that their Russian degrees, even though they put a man in space, aren't good enough.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That's sounds quite lame but an extremely anal retentive German thing to do.

• 1Truth!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Germans are essentially great hoop-jumpers then. Sounds like a great way to be regressive and innovate little-to-nothing.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Starting a new job for a direct competitor. 25k raise, more PTO, full-time remote, way more focused role, never have to see the inside of that piss-smelling NOC ever again except to go rescue my keyboard collection that they've been holding hostage for a year. No more 90+ hour weeks of insane bullshit.

And yet, I'm still sad.

• 9Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 9 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Starting a new job for a direct competitor. 25k raise, more PTO, full-time remote, way more focused role, never have to see the inside of that piss-smelling NOC ever again except to go rescue my keyboard collection that they've been holding hostage for a year. No more 90+ hour weeks of insane bullshit.

And yet, I'm still sad.
Change is hard, especially leaving someplace where you've grown comfortable. But good on you for moving on, especially with the increase in total comp. I'm nearing the same area, and just waiting out to see if there is room for growth before pursuing something outside of my current company.

• 1Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

And yet, I'm still sad.
How many keyboards do you have? Grats on new job.

Also WHY AWS NO DIRECT LAMBDA DOTNET 5 SUPPORT !!!! WHY!!

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I know we have a lot of JS fans here :D

found this pretty interesting/entertaining

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
New place's internal systems and platforms are even more of a clusterfuck than old place's internal systems and platforms.

Did some math and it's really only a 19k raise?

Kinda wanna mash the unquit button. Old job hasn't actually terminated me yet because they don't think I'll really quit lol.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
New place's internal systems and platforms are even more of a clusterfuck than old place's internal systems and platforms.

Did some math and it's really only a 19k raise?

Kinda wanna mash the unquit button. Old job hasn't actually terminated me yet because they don't think I'll really quit lol.
Fully remote and less forced OT are worth the trade off of unfucking things for a while. I know you are getting cold feet because your personality is so risk averse you put up with miserable shit all the time, but leave the old place and don't look back. And if they want you to do anything in the future, your pay rate just doubled.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
regarding my question earlier, apparently we're getting MOC 10985 now
That sounds real real boring.

Learn to read this:
1614201133992.png

Do these exercises:

Do these and you'll be ahead of that class and can dick around the whole time.

How to handle performance varies a lot with cloud DBs being so popular and widely used.. Such as Snowflake where the answer to any performance problems is literally to juice up the processing power for a few seconds until it goes away. Which is causing people to get real fucking lazy about writing good queries. They just stop at functioning.

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Fully remote and less forced OT are worth the trade off of unfucking things for a while. I know you are getting cold feet because your personality is so risk averse you put up with miserable shit all the time, but leave the old place and don't look back. And if they want you to do anything in the future, your pay rate just doubled.
It won't be my job to unfuck things. It's another customer-facing telecom engineering role, just at a much higher level.

The new job is good they just have an unbelievably shitty ticket system that causes all sorts of wasted time in everyone's day. When they finally implement a new one they will be able to fire half the people over the next year.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
That sounds real real boring.

Learn to read this:
View attachment 337527

Do these exercises:

Do these and you'll be ahead of that class and can dick around the whole time.

How to handle performance varies a lot with cloud DBs being so popular and widely used.. Such as Snowflake where the answer to any performance problems is literally to juice up the processing power for a few seconds until it goes away. Which is causing people to get real fucking lazy about writing good queries. They just stop at functioning.
We're a snowflake customer for our security data warehouse and I don't think we've even bothered to optimize queries anymore.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"IT administration department head" asks where our software saves the database location.
I mail him it's
Hkey_local_machine\......

he calls me, he can't find it. I teamview onto his machine, he's in his fucking windows explorer, looking for a directory called "HKey_local_machine" on C:\

• 1Like
  • 1Worf