IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Looks like I scared away the Indian (in India) I was training to work for me.

Their reason he gave me "job is too complicated."

He was still in the kiddy pool too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Looks like I scared away the Indian (in India) I was training to work for me.

Their reason he gave me "job is too complicated."

He was still in the kiddy pool too.
What was he doing?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What was he doing?
This is something I was mentioning in another thread. I don't like to toot my own horn but a lot of developers fall into this pigeonholed rut. The hire in this context was hired to do data engineering. Designing ELT/ETL pipes, creating efficiency, sometimes building data models to be used in the front end (Looker), but not build actual reporting for people. He told me specifically he didn't like having to learn so much and having to deal with so many different technical aspects and solutions at at a time.

This is very much a developer role where you are required to find solutions for stuff and start thinking about architecture. This guy wants to just do a clock in clock out administrator type job despite having a background in ETL work it seems like. Or at least a very standardized and familiar task flow rather than being given some ambiguity and having to design, develop and implement solutions himself.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1639449717692.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That director they hired like 90 days ago at my company just told us she's bailing. We were planning on hiring 3 in January and all kinds of shit too. I wonder if I can somehow force my way into a Director position with zero management experience?

Lots of money out there and lots of remote only jobs so people are splitting a lot and retention is a lot harder than it used to be. This is going to be the new job market for pretty much all tech positions or soft skill positions from here on out. Ones that explicitly don't really require face to face time. Which applies to a lot of shit now.

• 3Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That director they hired like 90 days ago at my company just told us she's bailing. We were planning on hiring 3 in January and all kinds of shit too. I wonder if I can somehow force my way into a Director position with zero management experience?

Lots of money out there and lots of remote only jobs so people are splitting a lot and retention is a lot harder than it used to be. This is going to be the new job market for pretty much all tech positions or soft skill positions from here on out. Ones that explicitly don't really require face to face time. Which applies to a lot of shit now.
I'm really thinking about just quitting until this log4j shit is fixed looooooooooooooool, otherwise I'm going to be up from 2-4am every day patching servers for the next couple months.

• 1Mother of God

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ask. What's the worst can happen?
I did lol.

I don't think it'll fly though. I'll still be the one hiring out the team for whoever this person is as we have now 3 headcount to hire in January immediately. We had a pretty significant roadmap that must be adhered to for our company's long term plans of going public. Things that 100% must be done.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I did lol.

I don't think it'll fly though. I'll still be the one hiring out the team for whoever this person is as we have now 3 headcount to hire in January immediately. We had a pretty significant roadmap that must be adhered to for our company's long term plans of going public. Things that 100% must be done.
We are firing half our DI department. Idiots promised the moon and 3 years later we have a shitty data lake delivering nothing. Teams have huge difficulty even getting data to it. Etc. Want some second rate help?!

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We are firing half our DI department. Idiots promised the moon and 3 years later we have a shitty data lake delivering nothing. Teams have huge difficulty even getting data to it. Etc. Want some second rate help?!
Bro I literally just had my trainee quit on me for the job being too hard. Finding quality help is a challenge. Not even sure how I am going to fill the 3 roles I need to in Q1 2022.

I think we have a very strong data foundation and clear goals. The problem we had was getting everyone on the same page across orgs and stopping individual actors with lots of leeway to do whatever from Wild Westing shit all the time. That's where this team is meant to shine. Force controls on various things to maintain consistency and data integrity across the business.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I wonder how many vulnerabilities are left and how spaced out they will be to fuck with everyone's holiday.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I wonder how many vulnerabilities are left and how spaced out they will be to fuck with everyone's holiday.
Most companies have probably not even found half the servers that are vulnerable to log4j on their networks, let alone patched them. Hopefully most have patched the ones with public-facing network interfaces.

Hopefully the ones with public facing network interfaces have some kind of IPS in front of them with a rule that can scan for the exploit strings, since they're very obvious strings.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Bro I literally just had my trainee quit on me for the job being too hard. Finding quality help is a challenge. Not even sure how I am going to fill the 3 roles I need to in Q1 2022.

I think we have a very strong data foundation and clear goals. The problem we had was getting everyone on the same page across orgs and stopping individual actors with lots of leeway to do whatever from Wild Westing shit all the time. That's where this team is meant to shine. Force controls on various things to maintain consistency and data integrity across the business.
Not sure how i missed the last part about wild west in your post. My company has the shittiest form of Agile I have ever seen. Snowflake devs/architects everywhere. half the reason data lake ingestion is so shitty is because the team which isn't great, has to constantly come up with one off solutions cause you know patterns are awful and confine them "man". I spend a good deal of my time playing wackamole.

in the last 3 weeks I have caught a team opening a file share to the "everyone" group so when the code deploy pipeline fucks up, the NOC team can manually pull API and encryption keys which are as you guessed stored unencrypted wide open to every user, machine and process on the network. No secrets server for them. that slows them down!

• 1Double Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I remember that Mario Teaches Typing and, to a much greater degree, Everquest, were the way that I learned to type quickly and "correctly".

Since I'm trying to learn Python when I can, I started looking for something kind of like a game to learn Python and I found this - Code the blocks - Learn Python for free

Not bad so far and it's helping. Anyone have recommendations on something along these lines but a little betteR?

This one seems decent, too - Coding Games and Programming Challenges to Code Better

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If I was hiring a programmer I'd put them into a cage with a desk and computer suspended over lava and they have to write some code that uses a lot of the following: [ ] ( ) { } ! $ # % and every time they look at their keyboard the cage lowers one foot.

edit: Oh someone expected value from this post? Put these and other symbols in your passwords.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
If I was hiring a programmer I'd put them into a cage with a desk and computer suspended over lava and they have to write some code that uses a lot of the following: [ ] ( ) { } ! $ # % and every time they look at their keyboard the cage lowers one foot.

edit: Oh someone expected value from this post? Put these and other symbols in your passwords.
var falseConfidenceArcade = if(${sampleSeverity}>0,${msg_probsDie},${msg_probsLive})
return falseConfidenceArcade

pythonDummy = range[6,9]
print('I don't remember how to iterate lulz\n...but I can newline like a mofo')

You have now witnessed the full power of my coding talent, but I -never- look at the keyboard. So, by your rules, I believe that would put me in the exact same position as the best programmer on the planet.