IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
Marketing speak is so lame we have renamed our SOC three times in the past year from a SOC to CCOE(Cyber Security Center of Excellence) now to CFC(Cyber Fusion Center). I don't care what the Optiv's and Accenture's of the world call it is still a SOC nothing has changed.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Marketing speak is so lame we have renamed our SOC three times in the past year from a SOC to CCOE(Cyber Security Center of Excellence) now to CFC(Cyber Fusion Center). I don't care what the Optiv's and Accenture's of the world call it is still a SOC nothing has changed.
There are only two things a SOC should be called:

1) The Ticket Factory
2) Welcome to the Danger Zone

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't suppose there are any Angular Developers which are looking for work? PM me if so with a resume.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I'm assuming this is the best place to ask this, and sorry I don't remember the correct terminology.

I'm trying to calculate the range of positive and negative values in excel. Can anyone clue me in to the right formula?
Ex:
1636040132280.png

=0.226

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Anyone in the IT field going to TribalNet in Grapevine Texas next week? The Tribe I work for just decided to send me, so figured I'd see if any forum bro's or broette's might be there to grab a drink with or something. Probably a long shot but, meh. I need to start googling shit to do there... in Dallas,,, on weeknights.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone actually understand how TLS certificates work or does everyone just bullshit and say they know how TLS certificates work?

Because every time I encounter someone who says they're a cert expert, they're just bumbling through it, give up halfway, and make me figure it out.

See also: the different types of DNS records other than A records.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Does anyone actually understand how TLS certificates work [...] See also: the different types of DNS records other than A records.
Yes. Do you have specific questions or do you need something like an ELI5? Do you know how public key cryptography works?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yes. Do you have specific questions or do you need something like an ELI5? Do you know how public key cryptography works?
That's not at all what I'm talking about. I don't mean "how do certs work?" I mean "actually dealing with certs in the real world."

Specifically, the mechanics and logistics of actually managing a large number of certificates in multiple complex environments with products from multiple different vendors. Managing 3rd party certs vs internal certs. Knowing the difference between single domain certs and wildcard certs and what the use-cases are. Building root and intermediate CAs, getting certs signed and installed on a bunch of servers in the cloud, etc. Oh and NOT LETTING EVERYTHING EXPIRE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING NIGHT AND CAUSING A TOTAL SHITSTORM.

Tons of people out there are like "I know how certs work!" and then when it comes to actually having to do any kind of project work or maintenance work on getting the right certs signed, installed, renewed, replaced with ones from a different authority, etc, totally drop the fucking ball.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Working my tail off to keep up with classes, enjoying it. A thing I've been afraid to ask: criminal record. Prof and guest speakers keep saying things like a dui at 18yo is enough to disqualify from jobs, that they're so tight if your date ranges aren't exactly right don't even put them on the resume.
I believe it, but surely that's just some jobs at highest level? aren't there a vast swathe of reasonable payout positions that don't care about that shit?

I've been hiring in tech for 3 years now for engineering positions. DUIs are meaningless to tech jobs unless you run into some real assholes who are sticklers about it. Anything short of a felony is pretty much completely ignored. Tech companies have enough problems filling seats as is.

Never been asked if I had a record for a tech job.. Maybe they just do background checks? Dunno

• 1Solidarity

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Never been asked if I had a record for a tech job.. Maybe they just do background checks? Dunno
They typically do a background check themselves unless it's from a recruiter. In that case the recruiter is expected to vet the candidate. Only time I've seen someone rejected for a criminal record was when they didn't say it up front and we found out about it. They got dropped from the interview process at that point.

• 2Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
They typically do a background check themselves unless it's from a recruiter. In that case the recruiter is expected to vet the candidate. Only time I've seen someone rejected for a criminal record was when they didn't say it up front and we found out about it. They got dropped from the interview process at that point.
Here again foler is a lying dinger sucker. Every fucking job on planet earth in tech asks if you have a record you pista driving antique lamp collecting shitbag.

• 1Worf
  • 1EyeRoll

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
That's not at all what I'm talking about. I don't mean "how do certs work?" I mean "actually dealing with certs in the real world."

Specifically, the mechanics and logistics of actually managing a large number of certificates in multiple complex environments with products from multiple different vendors. Managing 3rd party certs vs internal certs. Knowing the difference between single domain certs and wildcard certs and what the use-cases are. Building root and intermediate CAs, getting certs signed and installed on a bunch of servers in the cloud, etc. Oh and NOT LETTING EVERYTHING EXPIRE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUCKING NIGHT AND CAUSING A TOTAL SHITSTORM.

Tons of people out there are like "I know how certs work!" and then when it comes to actually having to do any kind of project work or maintenance work on getting the right certs signed, installed, renewed, replaced with ones from a different authority, etc, totally drop the fucking ball.
I ran PKI operations for a large financial institution for 18 months. Even the experts are retards. Look at the recent let's encrypt outage leading to auth 0 outages.

• 2Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Here again foler is a lying dinger sucker. Every fucking job on planet earth in tech asks if you have a record you pista driving antique lamp collecting shitbag.
I never have been explicitly asked if I have a record.

Only 1 job that I know did a background check. Total job number is less than 5.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
So you are looking for best practices? Do you want a list on things to do?

As grumblethorn said: it's a nightmare, for a multitude of reasons. There is no "easy" or "right" solution, and there is a lot of work involved.

Because frankly companies hire for optics nowadays, and the "IT security" field today is filled with people wanting to make good money, and businesses on the other hand wanting a "stamp of approval" to cover their ass. May god have mercy on you if your PKI is handled by an external contractor in India.

This led to what Bruce Schneier termed "security theater", so a big part of corporate IT security is now producing a lot of paper and doing the "compliance dance" to cover your ass. I know, because I have helped produce that paper. Fuck trees, I guess.

PKI itself is deeply flawed, especially when handled sloppy, and certificate revocations and their distributions are a constant pain point. But it's the best we have right now, and no one came up with a better solution yet. Probably because there is no real pressure to invent a solution, a.k.a. "it's good enough".

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So you are looking for best practices? Do you want a list on things to do?

As grumblethorn said: it's a nightmare, for a multitude of reasons. There is no "easy" or "right" solution, and there is a lot of work involved.

Because frankly companies hire for optics nowadays, and the "IT security" field today is filled with people wanting to make good money, and businesses on the other hand wanting a "stamp of approval" to cover their ass. May god have mercy on you if your PKI is handled by an external contractor in India.

This led to what Bruce Schneier termed "security theater", so a big part of corporate IT security is now producing a lot of paper and doing the "compliance dance" to cover your ass. I know, because I have helped produce that paper. Fuck trees, I guess.

PKI itself is deeply flawed, especially when handled sloppy, and certificate revocations and their distributions are a constant pain point. But it's the best we have right now, and no one came up with a better solution yet. Probably because there is no real pressure to invent a solution, a.k.a. "it's good enough".
Voice and IVR traffic that contains credit card numbers must be PCI compliant. That means encrypted SIP trunks out to the provider and any other 3rd party apps in the talk path, more certs between the IVR applications and the core voice stack, identity certs between all the servers within the core voice stack, and also TLS certs for the call recorders and all the other adjunct call center application servers like wallboards, screen pop apps, CRM plugins, etc. It's a lot of certs.

Plus for cloud voice, you need more certs so remote workers can register their SIP phones/softphones using a public IP address.

Plus all your regular cert stuff on the infrastructure below, for VPNs, SDWAN, etc.

My team manages all the call center infrastructure for 40 F500 clients who have all been migrated or are in the process of being migrated to the cloud.

It's a lot of god damn certs to manage, and every different product in the environment has its own set of concerns and different installation/renewal process.

Last edited: