IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I'm leaning toward IT and Cybersecurity as it stands, but frankly my knowledge of the subtleties between these fields is limited. I have a friend in networking that loves it and so I've just naturally leaned that way by his advice.<

ServiceNow and Salesforce--what would you recommend as studying tools or is this something acquired more formally? Is it as easy as google the terms and sign up for the certs I find on sites, and will a relatively new person to the field be able to handle the information or should I begin with lower tier certs?

That sounds like a great call, I'll look into CCNA as well. What site(s)/sources do you recommend to study?
I used 2 courses on servicenow (admin and development) and 1 on javascript from udemy to learn snow. I had 10 years of service desk and sysadmin experience, so hard for me to judge what it would be like for someone fresh. The platform has varying levels of difficulty depending on what you are doing.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Phanton Phanton

I have the Salesforce platform developer 1 and 2 certs.

I learned on their official site trailhead and I bought some practice exams on focusonforce.com. I also used the sfdx discord server and stackoverflow.

If you want to do the coding part get the certs I did if you'd like admin route take those ones. Dev roles pay more however.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Why did a senior engineer wake me up at 2 in the morning asking me how public trust certificates work and how to replace them across a customer's public-facing infrastructure because they're about to expire in 8 hours?
That's because a lot of people who should know about certificates, actually aren't completely comfortable working with them. It's surprising, because it's normally a perfectly fine engineer/coworker otherwise, but just can't grasp the concepts.

Then the other thing is decisiveness. Being able to actually make a decision and follow through is on the decline. People need consensus.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Fools. You must hit CTRL+C 5 times before proceeding at all times.

This has always been the way.
I ran through a few scenarios

Right Click Copy -> Right Click Paste -> fail
etc...
CTRL C + CTRL V -> Success

CTRL C + CTRL V -> Fail
CTRL C + CRTL V -> Fail
etc...
Right Click Copy -> Right Click Paste -> Success

It's fucking over built bloatware, that's the crux of it, to much shit stacked on top of shit

Probably need to establish a new paradigm based on a neural network, or just start cloning human brains and cutting out all the self interested parts, that'll be the future computers.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

etc...

CTRL C + CTRL V -> Fail
CTRL C + CRTL V -> Fail
etc...

It's fucking over built bloatware, that's the crux of it, to much shit stacked on top of shit
Well see since I've been doing all my work on Mac for the past several years all you gotta look for is the Edit tab flash in the top left and you know it works.

IDK man tech work on Mac is so pleasant most of the time. I'd be hard pressed to code on something else these days.

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Well see since I've been doing all my work on Mac for the past several years all you gotta look for is the Edit tab flash in the top left and you know it works.

IDK man tech work on Mac is so pleasant most of the time. I'd be hard pressed to code on something else these days.
I have to develop through my work machine so no choice there, I'd be fine with working on a Mac (assuming we're not talking a bout a Laptop with a non mech keyboard), wouldn't want to own a newest gen one. Soldered on drives and all, I have six Macbooks circulating between family that I've brought back from the brink more than a dozen times, turn off their discrete GPU's etc....bought a 2015 for my mom, last year I can fix. Hear the new Macbooks are great for as long as no maintenance is required, but non replaceable SSD, I hear they have swap/paging turned on = accelerated SSD decline? Forbid you don't spend the money on the ram outright and are stuck at 8 gigs permanently.

• 2Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

etc...

CTRL C + CTRL V -> Fail
CTRL C + CRTL V -> Fail
etc...

Probably need to establish a new paradigm based on a neural network, or just start cloning human brains and cutting out all the self interested parts, that'll be the future computers.

Get logitech mouse with extra buttons. putting bopy and paste into two of those buttons is mindblowing..

also use control -insert (copy) + shift insert(paste) is a lot better for your carpal tunnel.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
This is a shot in the dark but...

Anyone have any experience with CGI Federal? I've been offered a remote Angular front-end development job (not a contract job) that pays significantly more than what I'm currently earning. Interviews went fine obviously but I did notice like all the people I spoke with were Indian (which is fine! I currently work with a couple and they're great). Glassdoor reviews seem on par with my current company. Large organizations always get complaints about upward mobility and pay. But I'd be coming in as a senior so whatever.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The Canadian CGI? They used to have a bunch of contracts on the base I work on. No one complained about them - but just like any big contracting company, working on the customer side is a much different experience than working for corporate.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The Canadian CGI? They used to have a bunch of contracts on the base I work on. No one complained about them - but just like any big contracting company, working on the customer side is a much different experience than working for corporate.
Yeah, that's them. I guess a better question is, what is it like working for a company like that (a large consulting firm). I'm currently with a mega corporation, but we're a tiny, tiny division that was bought a couple years back. So we still feel like a small development shop. Also our timelines are very flexible so there's little stress over getting releases out on time (although we rarely miss our targets). We're EXTREMELY laid back.

It's a significant pay raise but my concern is I'll be jumping into some high stress position.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
consulting is usually high stress unless they are so legacy dinosaur like northrop sucking a federal contract tit at FDA.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's them. I guess a better question is, what is it like working for a company like that (a large consulting firm). I'm currently with a mega corporation, but we're a tiny, tiny division that was bought a couple years back. So we still feel like a small development shop. Also our timelines are very flexible so there's little stress over getting releases out on time (although we rarely miss our targets). We're EXTREMELY laid back.

It's a significant pay raise but my concern is I'll be jumping into some high stress position.
I've worked in big corporate, consulting, and smaller sorta-startup companies. IMO consulting has been pretty easy as you're usually in and out. If they waste time not giving you clear things to build out its just wasting their money and good for you. This leads clients of consultant firms to generally get their ducks in a row before they bring on consultants. I've had minimal interaction with customers and almost always a single point of contact at the company.

It's quite nice really. You never flounder around like can happen at salary jobs (mega corporate or not). I've been developing internal APIs and data science stuff though and not front end so your mileage may vary there.

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Will you be developing apps for CGI internal use or for customers? Either way I can't imagine it being highly stressful. Most of the time people get frustrated with companies like these for the opposite reason - annoyingly slow and bureaucratic.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Will you be developing apps for CGI internal use or for customers? Either way I can't imagine it being highly stressful. Most of the time people get frustrated with companies like these for the opposite reason - annoyingly slow and bureaucratic.
For customers (the federal government). They are converting a legacy Medicare/Medacaid application to newer web technologies.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
For customers (the federal government).
:emoji_joy:

Don't worry about the stressing fren. You can get boned in other ways though. Fed consultants often get stuck in a situation where you have to sit on your hands (getting paid) while the Fed unfucks their project management. That is not uncommon at all.

One guy I knew got brought on as an app developer in a SCIF for the DOD except once he started the project kind of died. So he had to go into the SCIF everyday and do nothing while they sorted it out. After 6 months of that he quit because he was bored.

• 2Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
:emoji_joy:

Don't worry about the stressing fren. You can get boned in other ways though. Fed consultants often get stuck in a situation where you have to sit on your hands (getting paid) while the Fed unfucks their project management. That is not uncommon at all.

One guy I knew got brought on as an app developer in a SCIF for the DOD except once he started the project kind of died. So he had to go into the SCIF everyday and do nothing while they sorted it out. After 6 months of that he quit because he was bored.
Actually, it's CMS.

Although I think they said it's a 10 year contract.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Is there any chance that CAPTCHAs or whatever "Click Bicycles in these boxes" is us actually doing machine learning work for the companies? Not just us clicking as a result of work they'v done, but us actually help develop data sets? Just curious if we're being tricked into working for free.