IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Can any of you powershell users recommend a good book or tut to get my skills back up to speed within a week? Haven't used PS in nearly a decade.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
:emoji_joy:

Don't worry about the stressing fren. You can get boned in other ways though. Fed consultants often get stuck in a situation where you have to sit on your hands (getting paid) while the Fed unfucks their project management. That is not uncommon at all.
Shit, now I know how people made so much money doing FedRAMP Avaya cloud shit.

Yussef

Molten Core Raider
Can any of you powershell users recommend a good book or tut to get my skills back up to speed within a week? Haven't used PS in nearly a decade.
You can't go wrong with the "Learn PowerShell In A Month of Lunches" series. The latest book has just been released, albeit with new authors attached, so I can't attest to its quality, but you should get an eBook copy of the Third Edition bundled with it, which is top notch.

You may also want to check out Don Jones' other books, as I believe they cover more advanced PowerShell topics.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
:emoji_joy:

Don't worry about the stressing fren. You can get boned in other ways though. Fed consultants often get stuck in a situation where you have to sit on your hands (getting paid) while the Fed unfucks their project management. That is not uncommon at all.

One guy I knew got brought on as an app developer in a SCIF for the DOD except once he started the project kind of died. So he had to go into the SCIF everyday and do nothing while they sorted it out. After 6 months of that he quit because he was bored.
Same shit at a company I was poached from a contracting firm working at homeland. Went to sit in a scif to help spin up a new program. Shit went sideways. 10 months of sitting by myself 8 hours a day. Read all of ice and fire all of Malazan. Fucking boring. Fed contracting is a god damn joke. If it pays more. Fucking take it.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's still enough daylight out that I can start digging my own grave to lay in and die instead of dealing with work tomorrow.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
My new guy seems like he's got the depression
Welcome to life buddy.

IDK, if you're not remote get him to a happy hour or something.

We just hired a guy into a BI Analyst role to assist me. I liked him a lot during the interview and I can tell he's a bit hungry for it. Very irregular candidate. Never went to university, spent years working at Time Warner on the help desk of all things, and more recently as an analyst at some small company doing whatever. But really wants to be in the tech sector fully. Which this position will allow him to do.

I have a good feeling about this one.

• 2Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Welcome to life buddy.

IDK, if you're not remote get him to a happy hour or something.

We just hired a guy into a BI Analyst role to assist me. I liked him a lot during the interview and I can tell he's a bit hungry for it. Very irregular candidate. Never went to university, spent years working at Time Warner on the help desk of all things, and more recently as an analyst at some small company doing whatever. But really wants to be in the tech sector fully. Which this position will allow him to do.

I have a good feeling about this one.
Get people of all types in IT. Our mail server admin started out in the company as a secretary, as did the two help desk women. Main server admin barely passed college w CS degree but could do anything and with his eyes closed. Actually with his eyes closed. He was the king of scripts and would sleep overnight as they ran.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Get people of all types in IT. Our mail server admin started out in the company as a secretary, as did the two help desk women. Main server admin barely passed college w CS degree but could do anything and with his eyes closed. Actually with his eyes closed. He was the king of scripts and would sleep overnight as they ran.
I've been on the other side of hiring for a few years now. It's hard to get these kinds of candidates into interviews. You can try but its a hard no a lot of the time. No undergrad at all? Most corporate would never consider it.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I've been on the other side of hiring for a few years now. It's hard to get these kinds of candidates into interviews. You can try but its a hard no a lot of the time. No undergrad at all? Most corporate would never consider it.
This was a while ago. Boss was big on keeping people.

Fucker

Log Wizard
There's still enough daylight out that I can start digging my own grave to lay in and die instead of dealing with work tomorrow.
Friend of mine works for a company that was purchased by a larger one. Retirement age went from 55 to 65 and benefits reduced.

In the last two years, 47 million Americans said fuck this and quit for good.

Get out while you can!

Singular7

Molten Core Raider
I can't imagine working for a corp after coding at home for the last 10 years.

I'd rather just do something else and make less $

Google and the other bigs email me daily at LinkedIn and I can't help but laugh at just how unwilling I am to work for those nutbags.

Might even rather just be homeless.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
IT question, I didn't want to make a new thread:

I own a website, lets say falxy.com

I purchased the domain through godaddy. I previously had a wordpress site on it hosted by godaddy. I now have a better website a company built, so we updated the domain records at godaddy so the domain points (the CNAME, @, www or whatever it is) to them for www.falxy.com . I've also setup a shop.falxy.com that resolves to a shopify store.

I want to setup another subdomain, like myapp.falxy.com, and that would resolve into a web app that I'm going to have built.

My question is, where would I purchase the "space" to run my webapp? Do I just purchase additional webhosting at Godaddy, and then it can be setup so that myapp.falxy.com woudl point to this new hosting space?

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
IT question, I didn't want to make a new thread:

I own a website, lets say falxy.com

I purchased the domain through godaddy. I previously had a wordpress site on it hosted by godaddy. I now have a better website a company built, so we updated the domain records at godaddy so the domain points (the CNAME, @, www or whatever it is) to them for www.falxy.com . I've also setup a shop.falxy.com that resolves to a shopify store.

I want to setup another subdomain, like myapp.falxy.com, and that would resolve into a web app that I'm going to have built.

My question is, where would I purchase the "space" to run my webapp? Do I just purchase additional webhosting at Godaddy, and then it can be setup so that myapp.falxy.com woudl point to this new hosting space?
Depending on how things are set up, it could run on your existing hosting. Otherwise, you should be able to get hosting anywhere, but the specifics of what you need your host will depend on what you're doing with it. I would probably get some recommendations from whoever is building it for you along with a list of requirements. (With the caveat that if they want to also sell you hosting too, find someone else.) Also, for whatever it's worth, I would never use GoDaddy for anything important.

• 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
1650940602629.png

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Excuse me! Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior, RFC8555 and ACME?

Won't work, the certs have be installed in specific places in specific applications that only work correctly if you follow specific procedures to install them via management web interface, services restarted in specific order to bind the certificates to specific services, or certificates have to be bound to specific profiles that apply to specific network interfaces, etc.

Telecom is the devil, and for that matter firewalls are not much better from a management standpoint.