IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Gauss

Trakanon Raider
Just ranting for a sec. I moved from a company where I was actually developing some cool tech (photonics) to some bullshit software job at a FAANG. I studied spring/summer to pass Leetcode interviews, so this is exactly the outcome I was looking for. However, now that I switched, I'm just shocked they hire such experienced people for such low level and redundant jobs like I'm doing (QA software, some CI/CD). The job isn't easy, because the capricious management is constantly assigning new tasks of dubious value, but it's all doable by a fresh B.S. in Computer Science.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Just ranting for a sec. I moved from a company where I was actually developing some cool tech (photonics) to some bullshit software job at a FAANG. I studied spring/summer to pass Leetcode interviews, so this is exactly the outcome I was looking for. However, now that I switched, I'm just shocked they hire such experienced people for such low level and redundant jobs like I'm doing (QA software, some CI/CD). The job isn't easy, because the capricious management is constantly assigning new tasks of dubious value, but it's all doable by a fresh B.S. in Computer Science.

Oh believe me they over hire. Sucks for the lil guys out there. But I used to be one of those, aint no more. They can climb like I did.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Have any of you ever used Adaptive Insights? Workday purchased the company and its a pretty well used finance tool.

But seriously man. Some of these tools shock me. It runs on absolutely ancient JavaScript. I can't even determine the version of it. It doesn't even recognize functions I thought were baseline JS. So making custom bullshit on it is aids. Also, it doesn't tell you any errors or anything when you do stuff. It just doesn't work.

This platform costs $100k+ a year for a subscription for 5 people.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Have any of you ever used Adaptive Insights? Workday purchased the company and its a pretty well used finance tool.

But seriously man. Some of these tools shock me. It runs on absolutely ancient JavaScript. I can't even determine the version of it. It doesn't even recognize functions I thought were baseline JS. So making custom bullshit on it is aids. Also, it doesn't tell you any errors or anything when you do stuff. It just doesn't work.

This platform costs $100k+ a year for a subscription for 5 people.
Oh, that isn’t the standard for business/enterprise software? 😀

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
1667145039284.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This is how big corporate works a lot of the time. Bar to entry is high. Once inside expectations are low.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Since when did title mean anything in this industry?
Since a bunch of former MBA types tried to break into the field. See also middle managers acting like they know agile and just doing waterfall instead, while using agile buzzwords.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is how big corporate works a lot of the time. Bar to entry is high. Once inside expectations are low.
This. Once you have a resume that demonstrates you know your shit and produce, you can get in and coast just about anywhere if you want to. Thats also how shit like multi-gigging became possible, because work output expectations are so low that you can literally hold three jobs and still have half the day to fuck off if you are good. And the demand for talent is so high right now half the time people who check out for whatever reason never see any repercussions from it. But if you ARE dialed in and doing shit, you can pretty much write your own ticket since Covidmania happened.

I am a fat alchy slob and I constantly get told to tone down my workload. Why? Because it makes it obvious how much we are overpaying the other shitbrains in our department. So fine, I now go to meetings instead and work more as a leadership role, but I could basically be completely checked out and do only two hours a day of real work and STILL get praised if I was that ethically compromised. They leave me the fuck alone because they know I can get another gig instantly any time I want with the same or better compensation. I stay because I am comfortable and when the recession hits full on, I want to be one of those good value guys they cannot afford to get rid of. And my situation is far from unique.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I wanna multigig so bad right now. A client of my former employer wanted to hire me on a 6+ month contract to basically handle interfacing with my former employer's project and support teams for them. I was gonna take the job and then use it as an opportunity to steer them to my current employer.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This. Once you have a resume that demonstrates you know your shit and produce, you can get in and coast just about anywhere if you want to. Thats also how shit like multi-gigging became possible, because work output expectations are so low that you can literally hold three jobs and still have half the day to fuck off if you are good. And the demand for talent is so high right now half the time people who check out for whatever reason never see any repercussions from it. But if you ARE dialed in and doing shit, you can pretty much write your own ticket since Covidmania happened.

I am a fat alchy slob and I constantly get told to tone down my workload. Why? Because it makes it obvious how much we are overpaying the other shitbrains in our department. So fine, I now go to meetings instead and work more as a leadership role, but I could basically be completely checked out and do only two hours a day of real work and STILL get praised if I was that ethically compromised. They leave me the fuck alone because they know I can get another gig instantly any time I want with the same or better compensation. I stay because I am comfortable and when the recession hits full on, I want to be one of those good value guys they cannot afford to get rid of. And my situation is far from unique.
I am currently working two full time gigs and doing quite well at them. Here's one for you. There was a call and I completely ignored it because the only thing I really must balance here is that I have to actually be producing work. Turns out I was announced employee of the quarter (lol) and I didn't even attend the call because I was talking to someone from the other job at the time about something.

Another twist this week? The guy I was bitching about for being lazy and wanting to get rid of? Turns out the other guy on the team was even lazier and I just had no insight into it. My manager asked me what I thought about his performance and I was like, well he does help me but I had no idea that the work he was giving him just wasn't being done. Looks like we may be canning him.

And I do have half the day to fuck off most of the time despite being a FTE in two places. My main project at job 2? They gave me company priority task (on of their biggest for 2022 apparently) that was client facing as literally my first FTE project and I am 1.5 months ahead of schedule on it. Just sitting on my hands waiting for the business to unfuck itself so I can deploy it to them. They can't even get their test process shit right according to their own specifications.

I don't mean to toot my own horn or anything. But in these specific roles (data engineering and data science) I am quite proficient and do enjoy working on stuff in this space.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I am currently working two full time gigs and doing quite well at them. Here's one for you. There was a call and I completely ignored it because the only thing I really must balance here is that I have to actually be producing work. Turns out I was announced employee of the quarter (lol) and I didn't even attend the call because I was talking to someone from the other job at the time about something.

Another twist this week? The guy I was bitching about for being lazy and wanting to get rid of? Turns out the other guy on the team was even lazier and I just had no insight into it. My manager asked me what I thought about his performance and I was like, well he does help me but I had no idea that the work he was giving him just wasn't being done. Looks like we may be canning him.

And I do have half the day to fuck off most of the time despite being a FTE in two places. My main project at job 2? They gave me company priority task (on of their biggest for 2022 apparently) that was client facing as literally my first FTE project and I am 1.5 months ahead of schedule on it. Just sitting on my hands waiting for the business to unfuck itself so I can deploy it to them. They can't even get their test process shit right according to their own specifications.

I don't mean to toot my own horn or anything. But in these specific roles (data engineering and data science) I am quite proficient and do enjoy working on stuff in this space.
Fucking rofl. I was sitting at chik fila eating lunch and started getting blown up on my phone with congrats and why aren't you saying thank you.

Boss covered for me saying I was busy being the employee of the quarter I am. Lol

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So that lazy guy got a talking to and is now like... desperately trying to do stuff?

I took a look at what he's actually been dragging his feet on and I was like... damn yes not a single one of those tasks should have taken more than a sprint length even if you were new. This was a senior hire and he was expected to be producing results and solving problems.

EDIT: Further look the dude seems to have analysis paralysis where he spends inordinate amounts of time looking for the best solution which leads him to making no solution.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Elon spits truth. Every retarded director when I was at GM "lets use microservices to solve this" as some stupid silver bullet without understanding shit. Leading to the creation of hundreds if not thousands of pointless microservices.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>

Elon spits truth. Every retarded director when I was at GM "lets use microservices to solve this" as some stupid silver bullet without understanding shit. Leading to the creation of hundreds if not thousands of pointless microservices.
BFF bloat is real.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I wanna multigig so bad right now. A client of my former employer wanted to hire me on a 6+ month contract to basically handle interfacing with my former employer's project and support teams for them. I was gonna take the job and then use it as an opportunity to steer them to my current employer.

You should look at it this way: That company wants to hire you as a consultant for your expertise. Part of that expertise is that you now know your current employer is a better long term solution than the previous one. Even if they asked you if you were ethically compromised since you work at the company you are suggesting you could honestly tell them that they trust you enough to pay you for your advice and you left the previous company for this one because the current one is just better.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You should look at it this way: That company wants to hire you as a consultant for your expertise. Part of that expertise is that you now know your current employer is a better long term solution than the previous one. Even if they asked you if you were ethically compromised since you work at the company you are suggesting you could honestly tell them that they trust you enough to pay you for your advice and you left the previous company for this one because the current one is just better.
Na, I'm just afraid my current employer will think its a distraction from my current accounts, which are all super high visibility, so not worth the risk.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Days since an expired certificate brought down 1 or more customers in our cloud requiring me to get paged out on a holiday: 0.

• 1Worf

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Days since an expired certificate brought down 1 or more customers in our cloud requiring me to get paged out on a holiday: 0.

we recently made some API access tokens for MS Azure. I’m probably messing up the specific language but they all expire in a year and MS wouldn’t let us make them permanent. Is there a better way to handle this beyond a calendar reminder? Issue is we have two systems talking to one another so I’m not enthusiastic about having to swap a live key at some point. And the keys are specific to environment #sadpanda.

‘for now the plan is to make a new key and then test it, have the two overlap during the switch. But I feel like there must be a better way to manage this