IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not exactly sure what you're trying to say here, but the entire first year of COVID I logged countless billable hours helping clients reconfigure their VPNs for softphones. People would do stuff like try to use dynamic NAT and that's just a big fucking nope.
This is pretty much exactly what happened at DHS with their shit.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Got feedback on a pull request of mine today where the reviewing developers lost their minds because I decided to refactor some code they had written originally. But I'm sorry, my feeling is that this is agile software development, and some rework inevitably occurs. But it wasn't like I rewrote a ton of code. I merely separated stuff out into logical components and services rather than blobbing everything into a single god class.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Refactoring other developer's (sloppy)code is one of the best parts of being a developer.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
These are junior developers, but I'm the new guy. However, I've been working with this particular frontend framework (Angular) for over five years so I feel I have a pretty good handle on how things should be done. They've been blindly copy/pasting code they find throughout other parts of the application and it's a mess. Granted, I realize that one should follow the same patterns that exist, but honestly there ARE NO patterns. Everything is programmed in a very old school imperative way that really doesn't work well. For example, they will commonly perform multiple, independent API requests, then set member variables within the callbacks of those API calls. This is incredibly dangerous as you have no idea the order of return of those callbacks. So, you have other stuff, elsewhere reacting to the state of those variables. Things may SEEM to work in your development environment where everything is running at warp speed, but the real world may cause some unexpected behavior.

It reminds me of old ASP.NET WebForms (Java JSP?) applications where EVERYTHING is slapped into the code behind file. Even data access is placed there. It's horrendous.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Do any of you use MS Teams at work and have a bluetooth heatset that has a functional mute/answer/disconnect button?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Do any of you use MS Teams at work and have a bluetooth heatset that has a functional mute/answer/disconnect button?
Yes but you're not going to like the price:

Wireless headsets with full call control are EXPENSIVE.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The alternative is to just install Teams on your cellphone and then use whatever BT headset you want and use your cellphone for call control.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Break

Yes but you're not going to like the price:

Wireless headsets with full call control are EXPENSIVE.
I have a Plantronics BT headset that I could almost swear worked for a few weeks when we first rolled out Teams but it mysteriously stopped. We used hipchat prior to Teams and while HIpchat kind of sucked, the call controls via BT worked flawlessly with. I don't understand why MS or Plantronics can't figure it out. I've updated firmware and gotten approval to install their desktop app on my work laptop but the buttons do nothing in teams.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have a Plantronics BT headset that I could almost swear worked for a few weeks when we first rolled out Teams but it mysteriously stopped.
Do you have it setup as your Default Communications Device in Windows mmsys.cpl (legacy Sound Control Panel) and then also in Teams?

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I have https://a.co/d/1cPD1Icwithout the stand, have been using it for about a week and a half. Seems solid, though I don’t have experience with any other similar products.

At my previous job I would use my air pods or cheap TOZO T10 https://a.co/d/ai5zzsL

audio was fine on both, no real technical issues except teams didn’t like if you tried to connect after joining a call/meeting.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Apparently Microsoft has a whole section of their website for Teams Certified Headsets:

This is probably your best bet.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I have https://a.co/d/1cPD1Icwithout the stand, have been using it for about a week and a half. Seems solid, though I don’t have experience with any other similar products.

At my previous job I would use my air pods or cheap TOZO T10 https://a.co/d/ai5zzsL

audio was fine on both, no real technical issues except teams didn’t like if you tried to connect after joining a call/meeting.
Yes, that Poly one is good, you got lucky if you picked that one first, many are shit or overpriced.

Break

This is what I have now, prior to their rebrand:

It's on MS official device list but under the Poly name, i wonder if my headset has a subtle difference.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yes, that Poly one is good, you got lucky if you picked that one first, many are shit or overpriced.
It's the standard at my new employer *shrug* dunno if someone actually did some research or just got lucky.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Some of you may remember that I changed jobs back in April from a full stack web developer to strictly UI using Angular. I wasn't unhappy with my former job, but the new job offer was a significant pay increase, so I would've been stupid to turn it down.

Anyhoo, former job contacted me a couple weeks ago and desperately wants me back. Offered to pay me more than the new one. I accepted. It wasn't so much that I am unhappy with this new one but quite disappointed. I was hoping I'd learn some new software engineering practices, patterns, etc. but it's honestly been a huge step backwards.

I haven't given my notice yet but will this week once my background check goes through. I'm left wondering what I should tell these guys. Just leave it as my old job wants me back, paying more, bye? Or be brutally honest (but respectful) that they have a disaster on their hands? I realize nothing is gained for either party telling this, but it irks me that a company of this magnitude could have a code base that is so poorly engineered and managed. I can't deny I want to twist the knife just a little bit.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Some of you may remember that I changed jobs back in April from a full stack web developer to strictly UI using Angular. I wasn't unhappy with my former job, but the new job offer was a significant pay increase, so I would've been stupid to turn it down.

Anyhoo, former job contacted me a couple weeks ago and desperately wants me back. Offered to pay me more than the new one. I accepted. It wasn't so much that I am unhappy with this new one but quite disappointed. I was hoping I'd learn some new software engineering practices, patterns, etc. but it's honestly been a huge step backwards.

I haven't given my notice yet but will this week once my background check goes through. I'm left wondering what I should tell these guys. Just leave it as my old job wants me back, paying more, bye? Or be brutally honest (but respectful) that they have a disaster on their hands? I realize nothing is gained for either party telling this, but it irks me that a company of this magnitude could have a code base that is so poorly engineered and managed. I can't deny I want to twist the knife just a little bit.
If you really have to say anything, you could just say "I don't have a lot of faith in the product/platform/whatever in its current form."

• 1Like