IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
I already know I'm going to take it up the ass doing this thing. Thanks ChatGPT for making it sound less horrible.

This time next week I will be fucked up royally lol.

This is the reason people change jobs so often. Implement the shit by screwing it together tightly to make it work, get the hell outta there before the dependencies need to be swapped out.
You need help, you let me know. ;)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I already know I'm going to take it up the ass doing this thing. Thanks ChatGPT for making it sound less horrible.

This time next week I will be fucked up royally lol.

This is the reason people change jobs so often. Implement the shit by screwing it together tightly to make it work, get the hell outta there before the dependencies need to be swapped out.
1681928440322.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Our CI/CD Devops people are forcing the org to start using this for some reason Cicada

1681995161534.png

Its like using YAML for CI/CD that we've been doing for years at this point but you inject JS into it to make it gay. Shit kills me because WTF is gained from this? YAML isn't that hard to figure out even if your shit has like 20 build steps.

I hate my life sometimes.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
cant dm u here
I would start a thread in tech forum for it. Doesn't look like we have a general coding help thread, which we probably should. I will be busy most of the day tho, with the war and other errands, but will check when I have time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So we just let go 5 product managers in our org that worked on the various software engineering teams. Replacing them with data analysts nerds who don't have an extreme technical background. But lots of time digging into data, comparing, validating, etc.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
So we just let go 5 product managers in our org that worked on the various software engineering teams. Replacing them with data analysts nerds who don't have an extreme technical background. But lots of time digging into data, comparing, validating, etc.
Did you think any of those 5 should have been kept on?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Did you think any of those 5 should have been kept on?
No, data analysts would have been far more useful to the organization. The product manager's only contribution was that they talked to the customer facing group (Customer Success) which the team manager could do anyway.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
ice_screenshot_20230425-171615.jpeg

I've made this much is the past 10 days or so. Some reddit users say they don't make much at all and some make a lot like myself, so it can be hit or miss. You have to pass a background check, and then wait until you get qualification tests to start doing the actual projects. So it's about a two week wait. There's very little transparency on why you do or don't get work, and not much support. If I had to guess why I got projects its - 1: I have no criminal record and 2: I wrote a lengthy description in the 'describe your skills/background' box when I signed up. And also taking the time to do the qualification tests correctly.

So far it's been good. It's a very barebones site, but I can confirm they do payout. All I can say is read the directions carefully on the qualification tests and take your time, it's not rocket science but my guess is some people half-ass it or skim through the guidelines and get disqualified from most future projects.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Thanks for showing us that place! I've been doing a little bit on there as well, mainly qualifiers so far.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I just completed the effort of a database migration to cloud (Snowflake). The project has taken this company over 5 years and we are now finally decommissioning the old systems. This is for a multibillion dollar healthcare company and it has amazed me how much bubblegum, byzantine ancient systems, workarounds, one-off applications, single user inputs and so on that have been keeping the whole mess kind of working. Just my small piece of it has been insane and I am shocked that it works at all.

I've also recognized that the healthcare industry as it exists couldn't function without this shit. Every single company mine interacts with uses peculiar file formats, extremely conditional file generation, weird data types, it just goes on and on and on. All built in the old school database way with thousands of stored procedures, views, data replication systems, and all of them are interdependent and almost none of it is documented.

Absolutely batshit.

Take for example one of our biggest B2B systems to deal with another multibillion dollar healthcare company. The "system" comprises:
  • 57 different databases
  • At least 100 different individual processes feeding said databases data (I honestly have no idea how many).
  • 9 different completely unrelated applications hosted on various servers. Written in C# and others in Java.
  • 400+ different stored procedures.
  • A shitload of custom data views. No idea the total number. Well into the thousands.
  • A massive in house application that actually generates the files to clients. Some of it goes to SFTP, the other part sends it to the in house print shot to put it on paper.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Do any of your co-workers announce on Teams everytime they go to the bathroom?

• 2Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 2 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Do any of your co-workers announce on Teams everytime they go to the bathroom?

I just assume when someone says “I need to take this call” and turns off the camera it means the same thing.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just assume when someone says “I need to take this call” and turns off the camera it means the same thing.
My department got re-arranged awhile ago and one of the assignments i'm in is me and 2 others so we have our own Teams chat. The other two announce anytime they go for a leak, it's really weird. I haven't seen anyone do that in my whole IT career. They must have had one hell of a micro manager in the past.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I just try to put up the ‘Be right back’ flag if I’m stepping away for more time than it goes idle/away on its own.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So after a yearlong battle with management I've been made the system admin of our HRIS system. Which is Workday. Workday is a huge piece of shit of an application too btw.

For the past year or so the HR people would manually generate some excel file with things like Headcount, Salaries, terminations, blah blah. Then the Finance guys would take this for their budgeting planning shit that goes to executive leadership. We got some new leadership a year ago who heard about this process and immediately said, "wtf are you doing? Automate all of this." I get this project and explain that to build this out and automate this we need to extract it into a DB that can be used by our various user interfacing BI tools.

HR fights this but eventually they have some key people quit and they have some new finance guys with more tech savy and I eventually get made admin because the HRIS people they hired have no idea how to use it. Its been hilarious because HR is so culty about shit. NOBODY CAN HAVE ACCESS TO THIS DATA BUT US!! Cunt, I signed a full transparency NDA on all data we have explicitly so I can develop this kind of shit for you.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user