IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm working at a nice little company; treated well, appreciated, got a 40k increase last year (I had received another offer and they countered), usually pretty cushy, low bullshit factor, great boss, meaningful product, and... I'm at a point where I'm just bored/burned out. Do you guys get this?

I get up in the morning and I can think of 100 things I'd rather be doing than writing code for the same product. Rationally I can look at it and see that I am in about as good a position as one could hope for and yet I am just ready to do something different. Sometimes I think it is time to just do something completely different even if that means a significant pay cut.
I want to open a pub or buy a shit ton of land out in the middle of nowhere and raise goats or some shit.

Maybe both.
1680712718022.jpeg

I say this as I sit in SFO awaiting my first class flight to New Orleans.

Why New Orleans? Why the fuck not.

First world problems, bros.

Update: A female pilot just boarded in an ill fitted suit.

This may be my last post, gents. Was fun but not fun.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
You check Home Depot's job listings for IT and even they've got woke shit all over it. Glassdoor has white males beware signs everywhere...

Is anywhere safe?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I've interviewed with SpaceX and been called by some other space companies but as a software/firmware person you'll inevitably have to move to some liberal shithole. I don't think there is any amount of money for which I would move to LA, SF, Seattle, etc.
Don’t go to spacex unless you really love Elon. From what I’ve seen you’ll end up hating it but you probably won’t regret doing it after you leave. Elon plays some shit tricks on employees to make them work insane hours.

Are you software/firmware? Embedded systems? If so look at rocket lab and loft orbital. Last I checked RL US office was in LA so may be off your list. Loft orbital I believe they have a Denver office if you’re open to it.

Lmk if you do embedded and are interested in new space. Can hit my buddy up for more names.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
You check Home Depot's job listings for IT and even they've got woke shit all over it. Glassdoor has white males beware signs everywhere...

Is anywhere safe?
I dunno. I’m in big tech and my team the only wokish person on our team is one of our Jews who has a disability. He won’t resist an opportunity to remind you he’s Jewish. Other than that it’s balls to wall code code no bullshit. I’d say my experience has been good. My company is very huge though so of course this is team dependent I’m sure.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Don’t go to spacex unless you really love Elon. From what I’ve seen you’ll end up hating it but you probably won’t regret doing it after you leave. Elon plays some shit tricks on employees to make them work insane hours.

Are you software/firmware? Embedded systems? If so look at rocket lab and loft orbital. Last I checked RL US office was in LA so may be off your list. Loft orbital I believe they have a Denver office if you’re open to it.

Lmk if you do embedded and are interested in new space. Can hit my buddy up for more names.

I know several people who have worked directly with Elon and they all report him to be a maniac and/or asshole. Although, if you have ever seen the video of him telling the story of when SpaceX was on their last leg, he seems to be sincerely emotional about it. He's certainly doing his part to fight for the country.

I'm in firmware/embedded. A lot of automotive but plenty of other stuff too. Not much I would relocate at this point unless it were to FL and maybe a few other places, or a really high paying leadership position. I'll look those companies up.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I know several people who have worked directly with Elon and they all report him to be a maniac and/or asshole. Although, if you have ever seen the video of him telling the story of when SpaceX was on their last leg, he seems to be sincerely emotional about it. He's certainly doing his part to fight for the country.

I'm in firmware/embedded. A lot of automotive but plenty of other stuff too. Not much I would relocate at this point unless it were to FL and maybe a few other places, or a really high paying leadership position. I'll look those companies up.
Check out rocket lab and loft. Both are larger startups if you’re cool with that. Remote firmware/embedded can be a bit hard to find from my brief observation. I’ll ask my buddy if he knows any companies that aren’t in shit holes that are doing something interesting.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Check out rocket lab and loft. Both are larger startups if you’re cool with that. Remote firmware/embedded can be a bit hard to find from my brief observation. I’ll ask my buddy if he knows any companies that aren’t in shit holes that are doing something interesting.

I've been doing remote embedded since about 2016. Got all the equipment I need, etc. It has its challenges but it 100% beats going into an office.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I've interviewed with SpaceX and been called by some other space companies but as a software/firmware person you'll inevitably have to move to some liberal shithole. I don't think there is any amount of money for which I would move to LA, SF, Seattle, etc.
Get a fully remote job writing chatbot stuff, screw the whole firmware thing, that shit always looks hard and unrewarding.

• 1Cringe
  • 1Moron

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Get a fully remote job writing chatbot stuff, screw the whole firmware thing, that shit always looks hard and unrewarding.

I find working on embedded systems to be far more interesting than another bullshit application of some sort. Something about holding, interacting with, driving, flying the product is very rewarding.

And, it's actually easier in some ways than other toes of development. The OS's, libraries, APIs you deal with are usually much simpler and a lot of systems are still straight C. None of that OO monkey business (haha).

Often the hardest part about firmware is figuring out aspects of the microcontroller. For example, the modern ARMs have ridiculous amounts documentation on clocks, power domains, power modes, programming model, peripherals, etc., especially a pain when something doesn't work as advertised. Once you get the system set up, though, it's usually pretty straightforward.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yes. Writing code that you launch into space is very unrewarded compared to writing a chatbot…….

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I find working on embedded systems to be far more interesting than another bullshit application of some sort. Something about holding, interacting with, driving, flying the product is very rewarding.

And, it's actually easier in some ways than other toes of development. The OS's, libraries, APIs you deal with are usually much simpler and a lot of systems are still straight C. None of that OO monkey business (haha).

Often the hardest part about firmware is figuring out aspects of the microcontroller. For example, the modern ARMs have ridiculous amounts documentation on clocks, power domains, power modes, programming model, peripherals, etc., especially a pain when something doesn't work as advertised. Once you get the system set up, though, it's usually pretty straightforward.
I truly enjoy embedded more than what I do now. Straight Java, with the occasional sprinkling of TS.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
BrotherWu BrotherWu asked my buddy. All these companies are either in Texas or Colorado. One may be in Pittsburg.

ISpace, Redwire (would suggest to stay away but it’s a foot in the door for space tech), Capella, Rocket Lab has a CO office now, blue origin, Cesium, Initiative Machines, Astrobotic

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Was thinking it'd be funny to take over each other's old positions and do commentary here

Not going to but some of the goofballs in job world really are something you wanna share sometimes

• 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Was thinking it'd be funny to take over each other's old positions and do commentary here

Not going to but some of the goofballs in job world really are something you wanna share sometimes
Pretty sure I saw one of my coworkers working on one of Brahma Brahma 's tickets. jkjk, but maybe lol.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of chat/chatbots, I got a ticket that says "agents are unable to attend 5 chats at once" and my first reaction was to say "that's true, closing."

Also, all of our chatbot programmers have had their titles changed to "Artificial Intelligence Engineer" which is cooler than my title. :/

• 2Thoughts & Prayers