IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's kind of amusing seeing tech channels in my feed each go on the same progression of
Last Year: "Learn to code in 6 months using my service and you'll get a 6 figure job guaranteed!"
Early this Year: "How I got fired from my FAANG job."
Now: "AI is going to kill all coding so you should stop learning and don't you fucking apply for the same job as me you little shits"

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah even in engineering, the product development stuff, they are otsourcing more and more to India these days too.
My wife is in this situation and it's so sad how bad these Indian people are, on average. If she wasn't directing the cattle and preventing them from committing tons of shit, it would be a fire drill every day.

I always thought they made something like half of us but it's actually 10-15x less money. I guess that's why they hire them but I honestly still think it's a bad deal for the company long term. None of them show any ability to think or work independently. If she quit, her part of the product goes down in flames until a US worker steps in to figure it out.

Naturally, the company has made record profits during these oh so necessary reductions.

The Indians who are actually working in the US are pretty solid, though. I guess if you're good enough you get to leave your fellow street shitters.
There are at least 6 people from India on my team of cloud architects and they all do nothing because my manager can't find a single use for them. They bring in no revenue, submit no opportunities, write no docs, work no tickets, draw no Visios, and I bet half of them don't even know anything about what offerings we sell, implement, or support. They can't even work basic support cases. 4 US-based employees lost their jobs in exchange. (At least one of them didn't do anything for months, possibly years, either.) I work on a very weird, jack-of-all-trades team that straddles between infrastructure, consulting, solution architecting/aka sales for the highest profile clients we have. There's always tons of stuff to do, and these 'architects' from India can't find a single thing useful to apply themselves to. At least the Indians on the lower tier team can delete snapshots and install patches do basic cloud/VM maintenance tasks, as long as you don't let them touch a firewall rule or DNS...

If you think it's any different at a gaming studio or publish, pfft...

Moved this one myself so Denamian Denamian doesn't have to.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's kind of amusing seeing tech channels in my feed each go on the same progression of
Last Year: "Learn to code in 6 months using my service and you'll get a 6 figure job guaranteed!"
Early this Year: "How I got fired from my FAANG job."
Now: "AI is going to kill all coding so you should stop learning and don't you fucking apply for the same job as me you little shits"
Yo I just gotta squeeze like 5 more years out of this 'being good at computers' thing so I can retire before the bots figure out how to break prod all by themselves.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Sometimes I wonder if customers realize how much money they could get back holding their cloud providers to their SLAs… 🤔🤔🤔

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Sometimes I wonder if customers realize how much money they could get back holding their cloud providers to their SLAs… 🤔🤔🤔

Awesome here's a credit on our bill this month!

Hey wait why'd our EA cost go up this year?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
*cries in five nines*
Hey now, I don’t work for GCP… Poor Gitlab has taken a beating over the past few days. Maybe they’ll learn to pick a superior cloud provider..

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Wonder when self hosting will loop back in the history of tech , that will be fun
When compute gets cheap as shit, or when AI models are so important that they have to be trained and hosted securely and privately. It's an imaginable world, but not likely.

• 1Seriously?

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also, quite the followup:
What The Goddamn Hell Is Going On In The Tech Industry? — Ludicity

There's a team out there where the main drama isn't one right faction and one wrong faction, there are two factions fighting to the death over how best to use a spreadsheet as a database for a production application. I feel like this has to be stopped but I don't have the strength.
1698897201370.png

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Man some of those really hit home.

I saved the company $150k a year earlier this year when I found that they had a bunch of completely unused redshift databases sitting on idle in one of our like 50 AWS accounts. Which had been going on for at least 3 years. Probably more like 5 since the dude who had set them up had been here forever and had production access to everything.

I got a "thank you dude" from infrastructure management. lol.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Wonder when self hosting will loop back in the history of tech , that will be fun
Self hosting what? Basic compute? How about all the services cloud providers provide? Have fun rolling all that on your own if you’re doing anything to scale. It’s possible, Parler does it and not because they initially wanted to.

Meanwhile people will be piping their data into cloud provider data lakes and have the ability to run multiple other services on it like AI, security services, or even give access to third party providers to run whatever software they have on it. Have fun building all of that in house at scale and then maintaining it.

• 1Picard

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
When compute gets cheap as shit, or when AI models are so important that they have to be trained and hosted securely and privately. It's an imaginable world, but not likely.
“Securely and privately” and cloud are not mutually exclusive.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I have a subordinate that has a very difficult time rubbing two brain cells together. Thus he gets assigned the software equivalent of manual labor. However, it's not easy to isolate that kind of work in this field. Being able to investigate problems and divine answers is always advantageous, but I think it's more so here.

He's not getting replaced. We've tried hiring an engineer that would do the same kind of work and then once familiar, automate it as much as possible. We never found a candidate that met our standards. Probably something to do with the QA stigma.

If I get him fired for poor performance, I'm just shooting myself in the foot. I always deluded myself that I could ask for a large portion of his salary to do his work. Much more efficiently, but still a significant amount of extra and quite distasteful work.

I'm not getting any portion of his salary, as the last page has demonstrated. So, what do I do with this idiot? Learning a basic regex was an entire afternoon. That's the rocket scientist I'm shackled with.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
“Securely and privately” and cloud are not mutually exclusive.
Yeah, but when companies need 15000 GPUs to run their self-prompting, perpetually retraining proprietary god-simulacra, they're not running that on AWS.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, but when companies need 15000 GPUs to run their self-prompting, perpetually retraining proprietary god-simulacra, they're not running that on AWS.
Pffftt have you never heard of GovCloud? Secure enough for the government!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have a subordinate that has a very difficult time rubbing two brain cells together. Thus he gets assigned the software equivalent of manual labor. However, it's not easy to isolate that kind of work in this field. Being able to investigate problems and divine answers is always advantageous, but I think it's more so here.

He's not getting replaced. We've tried hiring an engineer that would do the same kind of work and then once familiar, automate it as much as possible. We never found a candidate that met our standards. Probably something to do with the QA stigma.

If I get him fired for poor performance, I'm just shooting myself in the foot. I always deluded myself that I could ask for a large portion of his salary to do his work. Much more efficiently, but still a significant amount of extra and quite distasteful work.

I'm not getting any portion of his salary, as the last page has demonstrated. So, what do I do with this idiot? Learning a basic regex was an entire afternoon. That's the rocket scientist I'm shackled with.

If he already has manual labor tasks I mean, does he complain about doing them or anything? Are the manual tasks too time consuming to explain to him? What do you have the dude doing? Writing out and executing manual test cases old school?