IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If he already has manual labor tasks I mean, does he complain about doing them or anything? Are the manual tasks too time consuming to explain to him? What do you have the dude doing? Writing out and executing manual test cases old school?
The manual labor in this case is triaging automated regression test results. Marking them with bug numbers. If there isn't a relevant bug, he has to open a new one.

He'll complain about doing them. I don't necessarily disagree with him there. There's a disconnect where the people causing the failures don't see the ramifications of their actions. Thus in times of high development churn, he can get buried in triage work. It's hard to not feel resentful in that case.

But, it's also the job. I would prefer he have the motivation and skills to implement tools and strategies to improve his workflow, but he is seriously deficient in both of those.

For example, we write database upgrade tests for supported version to the newest. It's his job to write those tests. The workflow on these tests sucks, but the end result is that he's behind almost two years on some of these tests, which I just found out about 2 weeks ago. I tell him to get those missing tests in Jira, get some visibility on this shitty workflow and help document what's missing. His response: "I don't want to look bad.". It's like some weird amalgamation of childlike and beaten wife mentalities.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Pffftt have you never heard of GovCloud? Secure enough for the government!
GovCloud, FedRAMP, all seems pretty useless. What exactly has the government made in the past fifty years that's worth stealing? A whole lot of effort goes into protecting those 9-digit numbers that thieves have already stolen from sixteen other breaches.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Man some of those really hit home.

I saved the company $150k a year earlier this year when I found that they had a bunch of completely unused redshift databases sitting on idle in one of our like 50 AWS accounts. Which had been going on for at least 3 years. Probably more like 5 since the dude who had set them up had been here forever and had production access to everything.

I got a "thank you dude" from infrastructure management. lol.
We have 700 accounts. To save money they want to turn off cloudtrail s3 bucket writes events. I hate our infrastructure team

• 1Worf

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
We have 700 accounts. To save money they want to turn off cloudtrail s3 bucket writes events. I hate our infrastructure team
Bro no one needs to audit s3 writes. Don’t be so dramatic!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think even we have too many but god damn.

Its reasonable for each department to have one, in some ways. Like one for dev (they can have multiple sure), a few for Production purposes, one for each internal team if they happen to need one.

But what do you have one for every 4 dudes?

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I think even we have too many but god damn.

Its reasonable for each department to have one, in some ways. Like one for dev (they can have multiple sure), a few for Production purposes, one for each internal team if they happen to need one.

But what do you have one for every 4 dudes?
We are a huge company also are retarded as shit wannabe agile. Aka chaos

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Have you ever had a manager that like, word polices you?

I am in like a million slack channels for stuff as I am sure you can relate to. But I have a manager now that immediately asks me stuff like "why are you asking that question?" When I post something in a project related slack I on asking about whatever. Forcing me to waste time explaining to her why I am asking about something for no reason. Which I find exceptionally retarded.

So I started just doing direct messages then she gets weird about people not using the slack channels where she can see them.

??

• 1Worf
  • 1Barf

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

I am in like a million slack channels for stuff as I am sure you can relate to. But I have a manager now that immediately asks me stuff like "why are you asking that question?" When I post something in a project related slack I on asking about whatever. Forcing me to waste time explaining to her why I am asking about something for no reason. Which I find exceptionally retarded.

So I started just doing direct messages then she gets weird about people not using the slack channels where she can see them.

??
"Because I need the answer. Why the fuck else would I ask the question?"

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage

??

Not my manager, but other team managers. And they are ALWAYS women.

It's even more idiotic when they do this and they aren't even in the same line of business as you.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

??
"Oh? Is that something your team handles? I'd be happy to let x know that you're taking care of it for him!"

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Whelp, me and fully half of my team got laid off today. 10 years and a couple mergers/acquisitions for it to end on a random monday morning.

I'm not even sure I remember how to apply for a job at this point

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Not my manager, but other team managers. And they are ALWAYS women.

It's even more idiotic when they do this and they aren't even in the same line of business as you.
Don’t you see their involvement is crucial, in that it allows them to continue pretending that they actually do work? Perhaps in your subconscious, you’ll remember their name, but forget the context of their name, and thus lump them in as being a member that contributed.

Oh by the way, so much for Biztalk

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Whelp, me and fully half of my team got laid off today. 10 years and a couple mergers/acquisitions for it to end on a random monday morning.

What job sector? What part of the country?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
What job sector? What part of the country?

I'm in Chicago, last two years were on infrastructure engineering maintaining and spinning down an ancient openstack pipeline in favor of building out a new kube cloud to replace it (this won't be done for another year or so but who knows with me and the other layoffs).

Prior to that was general sysadmin work for like 8 years, mostly focused on linux deployments/SQL clusters, VMware, and some random backup systems like Veeam etc. There was some Windows admin time in there as well, but I was never part of the general AD/helpdesk team and was really only responsible for the infrastructure itself.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Don’t you see their involvement is crucial, in that it allows them to continue pretending that they actually do work? Perhaps in your subconscious, you’ll remember their name, but forget the context of their name, and thus lump them in as being a member that contributed.

Oh by the way, so much for Biztalk
I don't dislike this manager as a person. She's very nice overall, but that shit sure is annoying. She is in a position such that she is completely unfireable. She has decades of experience in oldschool database architecture that is just generally hard to find these days. So she's a 100% critical resource when anything happens with that.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I'm in Chicago, last two years were on infrastructure engineering maintaining and spinning down an ancient openstack pipeline in favor of building out a new kube cloud to replace it (this won't be done for another year or so but who knows with me and the other layoffs).

Prior to that was general sysadmin work for like 8 years, mostly focused on linux deployments/SQL clusters, VMware, and some random backup systems like Veeam etc. There was some Windows admin time in there as well, but I was never part of the general AD/helpdesk team and was really only responsible for the infrastructure itself.
Use the opportunity to flee Chicago. You have skills that are useful still, albeit will become less so as chatgpt starts pickup up steam on configuring and building stuff. Get your resume up on linkedin, dice, indeed, and so on. Start actively searching for openings as well.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

ChatGpT your resume and leetcode the rest.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

Sounds like you could be a good systems engineer for cloud infrastructure maybe. Join blind if you still have access to your company email. You’ll be able to get referrals no problem on there. Of course the market is still hurting but it’s pretty much a cheat code to referrals.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I really want to know how people can come into the org at like maybe a senior analyst role. Then in under 3 years they're a director.

I've seen this quite a lot at this point and I truly don't get it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I really want to know how people can come into the org at like maybe a senior analyst role. Then in under 3 years they're a director.

I've seen this quite a lot at this point and I truly don't get it.
Seems easy if you spend all your time at work playing the advancement game instead of producing deliverable technical output.

Geeks always get distracted into playing the wrong game, which is why they always end up managed by people dumber than them.

• 1Truth!