IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That is literally, exactly what I expected and what I was planning on doing. I got overcome by work related stress (due entirely to the people I was working with, nothing at all to do with actual workload) and just stopped caring.

At the time I made $120/hr and had a contract that essentially treated me like a salaried employee even though I was an hourly consultant. So i was guaranteed 40hr/wk and got double time over that. And I got complacent with my shitty situation entirely because of that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Jesus, and here I felt good about finally breaking $100k a while back. Though, I think I'm generally younger and less experienced than most folks here. And, well, also just less ambitious. A thing I do worry about, though, is I'm stuck in a pretty stagnant spot at my current job, and have basically become the keeper of some very niche and very dirty POCs my brother wrote that turned into shit we sold and is basically the backbone of an entire business unit. Most of my time here has been learning and working with stuff specific to maintaining this thing that's not really useful elsewhere in the company, much less at any other company out there.

For anyone else who's been in this spot, what do you do to make sure you still stay relevant and keep your skills up to date?
I keep telling everyone. Learn enterprise systems like Salesforce. It will only make you $$$.

Senior Salesforcr Administrator who can't code is a $160k job by itself. With 5 years experience and a few certs that cost <$500.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Totally agree in the aspect I think it’s best to grind in the 20s and early 30s then taper off. I’d probably up that number to around 500k TC instead of 120k though and save/invest like crazy. Then start to taper down/be more flexible with pay in 30s and definitely in 40s
im not sure what you make, don’t follow forum personalities closely, but my gut tells me you have no idea how much 500k/year is. I have no idea how people make that and are not golden….

in less than 5 years I could be living off interest/dividends alone at that salary, which is why it has taken me 20 years instead of 5. That is so much fucking money. dont get me wrong, I’d love to fly in the delta one seats or private jets, buy my own island, etc. but god clearly didn’t equip me with that skillset. With about 1 million in an account you can reasonably make 100k a year via investments. Again no private jet but come on….100k/year for !0! Fucking hours worked? How greeedy are you bruh?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
FAANG bros making $400k+ as individual contributors coding are a thing. But they are so few and far between that is not worth discussing. It's a unicorn job that regular people don't get, and most of them today aren't superstar coders either. You're talking about 1% of tech jobs across the USA. Or less.

• 1Like
  • 1Double Worf

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
It is absolutely not the lower end for a developer/engineer. I've been a developer since 2005.

Are you not aware that every single company needs software and that not every single company is based in Silicon Valley or Austin TX?
Key word - “developer”. I’m referring to software engineers.

Yeah I totally am. There’s a ton of money to be made out there. That epic pay range is definitely on the high end for “developers” though, I’ll give you that.

Khane

Jesus christ you are clueless. It's the same fucking thing

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I don't believe for a single second that you have a $400k developer job as an IC at a FAANG company. But more power to you bro.
Whew boy,

Wait till this guy realizes that Netflix pays you in bags of cash (they even let you decide if that’s base pay or RSU options).

It’s not just FAANG. I have friends working at dinosaur companies doing very well. A buddy working at SAP making 600k TC. Actually FAANG isn’t even the most lucrative anymore.

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Whew boy,

Wait till this guy realizes that Netflix pays you in bags of cash (they even let you decide if that’s base pay or RSU options).

It’s not just FAANG. I have friends working at dinosaur companies doing very well. A buddy working at SAP making 600k TC. Actually FAANG isn’t even the most lucrative anymore.
Ok

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
FAANG bros making $400k+ as individual contributors coding are a thing. But they are so few and far between that is not worth discussing. It's a unicorn job that regular people don't get, and most of them today aren't superstar coders either. You're talking about 1% of tech jobs across the USA. Or less.
LOL. Wait till you find out all the pajeet and Chong H1B1s crushing 300-650k TC at these companies. It’s a fucking gold rush. But you’re right relatively speaking it’s a small percentage of tech as a whole. So maybe 150k is a lot of money for most people. Guess when you’re in the top 99th percentile that’s all you see around you. Head in the clouds, etc

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
LOL. Wait till you find out all the pajeet and Chong H1B1s crushing 300-650k TC at these companies. It’s a fucking gold rush. But you’re right relatively speaking it’s a small percentage. So maybe 150k is a lot of money for most people. Guess when you’re in the top 99th percentile that’s all you see around you.
Uh huh. Carry on sir.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Khane

He doesn't realize that developer and engineer are synonymous in software and that your title between those two is dictated entirely on the whims of whatever that company wants to call you. It's embarrassing.

My current title is Software Engineer 4, which is the highest level this company recognizes. My previous title was Integration Architect, and before that I was a business solutions developer. All while working with the same exact software, doing the same exact thing. It's annoying how much he can degrade a real conversation in this subsection

• 4Like
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 4 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
He doesn't realize that developer and engineer are synonymous in software and that your title between those two is dictated entirely on the whims of whatever that company wants to call you. It's embarrassing.

My current title is Software Engineer 4, which is the highest level this company recognizes. My previous title was Integration Architect, and before that I was a business solutions developer. All while working with the same exact software, doing the same exact thing. It's annoying how much he can degrade a real conversation in this subsection
Just a title brother. That’s kind of my point. Developers aren’t the guys programming flight software for rockets, embedded systems, or highly available and scalable systems/services..

Developers are the guys you hire to build your app for your startup, your SPA in react, when you need to scale something for (maybe) under 1 million users.

IYKYK 🤷‍♂️

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whew boy,

no disrespect, but now I know you are just spouting at the mouth. My 2nd startup is now literally a 600m/year company and one of the primary SAP creators and integration partners of sap for all of finance. The company sold for over half a billion. Our TOP sap engineers and developers made maybe 230k/250k and I was product lead of north america. The only dude who made 1.2m(and way more actually) was part owner and it was all in shares During sale.

you may know a 600k dude, but either he is lying or he is so far outside the norm that this conversation is stupid. Tech does pay better than many industries, and more than warranted I think, but it’s not this golden goose you claim Unless you live in downtown SF and work for one of those primary FANG companies. Real(normal) people do make good money, but not 500k+/year

• 2Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

200.gif

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
no disrespect, but now I know you are just spouting at the mouth. My 2nd startup is now literally a 600m/year company and one of the primary SAP creators and integration partners of sap for all of finance. The company sold for over half a billion. Our TOP sap engineers and developers made maybe 230k/250k and I was product lead of north america. The only dude who made 1.2m(and way more actually) was part owner and it was all in shares During sale.

you may know a 600k dude, but either he is lying or he is so far outside the norm that this conversation is stupid. Tech does pay better than many industries, and more than warranted I think, but it’s not this golden goose you claim Unless you live in downtown SF and work for one of those primary FANG companies. Real(normal) people do make good money, but not 500k+/year
Yeah, the Senior Director of Product Management (of a >$400M/year revenue product) here makes right around $200k a year salary. He does get nice bonuses that are directly related to product performance in the market. This is someone with decades of experience in the tech space and huge responsibilities. Not even C-Suite are pulling $500k a year at this company.

This is why its so stupid to talk about. Yes retarded FAANG jobs where you are a rank and file developer making $400k do exist. But its retarded to even discuss them. Go apply to Netflix if you want.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Just a title brother. That’s kind of my point. Developers aren’t the guys programming flight software for rockets, embedded systems, or highly available and scalable systems/services..

Developers are the guys you hire to build your app for your startup, your SPA in react, when you need to scale something for (maybe) under 1 million users.

IYKYK 🤷‍♂️
OK jogger cock jocky

• 1Salty

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

For SAP? Dude is far outside the norm for SAP. That ain’t normal for SAP but his job area there is kinda unique. I think it’s a super RSU heavy TC in his situation.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the Senior Director of Product Management (of a >$400M/year revenue product) here makes right around $200k a year salary. He does get nice bonuses that are directly related to product performance in the market. This is someone with decades of experience in the tech space and huge responsibilities. Not even C-Suite are pulling $500k a year at this company.

This is why its so stupid to talk about. Yes retarded FAANG jobs where you are a rank and file developer making $400k do exist. But its retarded to even discuss them. Go apply to Netflix if you want.
FAANG is kinda old news. You can exceed their TC at a number of companies now. Just check out levels’s salary rankings Highest Paying Software Engineer Jobs | Levels.fyi.

Honestly not sure what you guys are pissed. I’m out here rooting for you to absolutely crush it as it sounds like a number of you are. There’s nothing wrong with not making 300k+ TC. It’s like I said earlier, it comes with it’s trade offs.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
FAANG is kinda old news. You can exceed their TC at a number of companies now. Just check out levels’s salary rankings Highest Paying Software Engineer Jobs | Levels.fyi.

Honestly not sure what you guys are pissed. I’m out here rooting for you to absolutely crush it as it sounds like a number of you are. There’s nothing wrong with not making 300k+ TC. It’s like I said earlier, it comes with it’s trade offs.
You're just a faggot and people are tired of your constant bullshitting and lying in what is otherwise a more serious discussion about careers.

• 3Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users