IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Your loss dude. It's like a doped up version of Fig which I also loved a lot until Amazon killed it.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Every encounter I have with anything node related makes me want to murder the world that spawned it
dammit.png

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Node was invented for the npm racket. No, I don't care that those events are chronologically backwards.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
It has driven me completely insane. I loved visual studio code until I saw the crawling chaos within
Gulpyarnomicon.png

This last part is the gulp task for packaging failing because it goes through node, and node is a server thing, and has a 2 minute timeout. The assholes that wrote all this probably never got it because they have modern cpus.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've been given a task recently that can be paraphrased as "this other team made this, we want to do it as well, make it happen." But upon further examination of it since February I've come to realize that what this other team made took them over a year and they have a team of 18 people. With 15 of them actively developing it. I've been saddled with it because my team is mostly older people with loads of experience in old school database infrastructure and no knowledge whatsoever of object oriented programming, Not even of coding languages other than SQL, COBOL, and some straight C from back in the day.

I don't mind working on this team but the result is that I get thrown anything that requires understanding python, java, or anything inbetween. Like it stunned my manager when she saw I had reduced a bunch of their ancient stored procedures to a few python functions. They finally embraced that so I made a python function library for them.

But anywho, this project becomes worse the further I get along. I've gotten pieces of it working but the overall solution this other team developed is fairly insane. They have 5 different code repos that support it. That all build off of eachother in this convoluted deployment staging script. The worst part about it is that they have tons of python scripts that are executed by the CI/CD pipe itself and serve no other purpose other than "pre-loading" other parts of our infrastructure.

Like, they want to add in some feature that does X. This feature requires servers, databases in other locations, etc but the primary application can't make any of this. So they have their infrastructure repo where they onboard a dozen python scripts that go reach out and create whatever they added to the primary application to make use of. This executes only when they merge to master on the main application. But also requires them to add in tons of custom things each time they want to make a change the primary thing can't even do. It's really hard to keep track of and I can see why it breaks constantly.

But I dislike leadership being all "why aren't you done yet?" when I am the only person in our entire org working on it. Seems silly. On the plus side I am not tasked with any of the older database infrastructure stuff at all.

• 1Mother of God

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I've been given a task recently that can be paraphrased as "this other team made this, we want to do it as well, make it happen." But upon further examination of it since February I've come to realize that what this other team made took them over a year and they have a team of 18 people. With 15 of them actively developing it. I've been saddled with it because my team is mostly older people with loads of experience in old school database infrastructure and no knowledge whatsoever of object oriented programming, Not even of coding languages other than SQL, COBOL, and some straight C from back in the day.

I don't mind working on this team but the result is that I get thrown anything that requires understanding python, java, or anything inbetween. Like it stunned my manager when she saw I had reduced a bunch of their ancient stored procedures to a few python functions. They finally embraced that so I made a python function library for them.

But anywho, this project becomes worse the further I get along. I've gotten pieces of it working but the overall solution this other team developed is fairly insane. They have 5 different code repos that support it. That all build off of eachother in this convoluted deployment staging script. The worst part about it is that they have tons of python scripts that are executed by the CI/CD pipe itself and serve no other purpose other than "pre-loading" other parts of our infrastructure.

Like, they want to add in some feature that does X. This feature requires servers, databases in other locations, etc but the primary application can't make any of this. So they have their infrastructure repo where they onboard a dozen python scripts that go reach out and create whatever they added to the primary application to make use of. This executes only when they merge to master on the main application. But also requires them to add in tons of custom things each time they want to make a change the primary thing can't even do. It's really hard to keep track of and I can see why it breaks constantly.

But I dislike leadership being all "why aren't you done yet?" when I am the only person in our entire org working on it. Seems silly. On the plus side I am not tasked with any of the older database infrastructure stuff at all.
Tell them to give you 17 more people or be ready for it to take a while. Do a weekly or monthly progress email out to the stakeholders with a rough ETA on completion.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I gave up building it and just decided to use code-server. Some lunatic made a nice chromiumish browser for xp.
screen01.jpg

Not long after I took this picture though I completely cocked up the VM's drivers trying to get accelerated video.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Apparently, no one thought that as an enterprise we needed to have proper licenses instead of everyone just using the free tier.

dumpsterfire.gif

• 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

Microsoft licensing can jump in a dumpster fire. I was once in a call with m CTO, our MS resale partner, our MS contact rep and a MS lawyer.

I was arguing / questioning a specific thing about student lisc and software assurance with e3 o365 in relation to windows OS..

Anywho lots of random discussion, and back and forth… and i even logically walked through the MS docs at the time in relation to SA and E3 O365 and had the lawyer convinced and in agreement with my side… then the sales rep from the resale partner, just says “well that’s not how I think it works,” and our CTO goes “okay well we will buy he additional 30k$ worth of nonsense” i was like WTF no. How does a resale partner make a judgement call on that? And of course the other MS guy is like “well if your good with buying the extra stuff, we are all good”