IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have a piece of hardware on the server that measures certain things (boot variables, secure variables, etc) and everything is a SHA256 digest, it's annoying as fuck. I had to compute everything by hand and it took me weeks to figure out what the hell it's even doing. It's one of those security by obscurity things, but it's so shitty when you actually do need to know what it's doing.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Did you tell them security through obscurity is a well known anti-pattern and reeks of a core vulnerability?

Siliconemelons

Anyone recently take the 801 series CompTIA A+ cert tests- I need to take them just to count as college credit so I can get my dumb degree and need to know if I have to actually study? heh - or even the new 901 series... I have access to test preps certified by CompTIA for both, I just am lazy and want to go give them 400$ and get my 6 college credits.

Warrian

╰⋃╯ლ(´ڡ`ლ)
You will need to study since those types of tests tend to ask you obscure questions about stuff you never actually use in reality.

Vinen

God is dead
You will need to study since those types of tests tend to ask you obscure questions about stuff you never actually use in reality.
Last Cert I took was

WHAT THE FUCK, I KNOW THIS BUT WHY
WHY ARE THEY ASKING THIS?...

It's edge-case within an edge-case type situations.

I guess proving you know this information does confirm a certain level of mastery of the subject.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Code management question bros:

We have our code base. It's based on a base code by a 3rd party vendor with all of our changes on top of it. It's pretty massive, around 22k files.

Every quarter we receive a drop from this 3rd party vendor that we need to merge into our code base. Due to the intermingling of code, I can't just copy and paste their code into ours as it will wipe out our stuff.

On a small scale, just diffing the two codebases would be fine, but what's my best option when I'm dealing with such a massive behemoth? Is it still a manual diff?

Should I put their codebase on a separate repo/branch, merge, and deal with conflicts?

moontayle

Golden Squire
Google just announced the start of a new certification path for Android developers. I'm fully prepared to look at a some aspect of it and think something along those lines Vinen.

Vinen

God is dead
Google just announced the start of a new certification path for Android developers. I'm fully prepared to look at a some aspect of it and think something along those lines Vinen.
I'm working towards my VCDX right now. Been annoyingly taking the required Certificates for the Cloud Management Track as they won't let you do your Defense until you've completed then ;_______________;.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>

We have our code base. It's based on a base code by a 3rd party vendor with all of our changes on top of it. It's pretty massive, around 22k files.

Every quarter we receive a drop from this 3rd party vendor that we need to merge into our code base. Due to the intermingling of code, I can't just copy and paste their code into ours as it will wipe out our stuff.

On a small scale, just diffing the two codebases would be fine, but what's my best option when I'm dealing with such a massive behemoth? Is it still a manual diff?

Should I put their codebase on a separate repo/branch, merge, and deal with conflicts?
Really need to merge each change individually don't you, or won't their changes break your mods?

Vinen

God is dead

Not develop this way. Holllly shit does this sound like terrible practice.

Do you both go off and work on changes to the same origin at the same time? Then merge back months later?