IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
I've almost got VS Code up to the level of the old visual studios, back before it was a bloated piece of crap. Just a few little problems left to fix, and the most recent monthly build crashing alot with the built in term.

Yesterday I decided I'd try to fix that crash. Why not it's open sores! 6 painful hours later I managed to get it to compile. It's cool MS have drunk the open sores coolaid but damn they went full on like needing-20-strange-build-tools-with-goofy-names. What you have blert 12.6? You fool! You must have blert 11.4, and never ever use blort 6.9!

The built-from-source ver can't see any extensions so I have to figure out what I need and manually install them. The crash bug is after debugging so I grab the omnisharp extension and hit go. Turns out the debugger program it attaches to isn't open source and has a different license and so can only work with official microsoft builds. So yea basically unusable and wasted an entire day and couldn't even attempt to reproduce the bug I wanted to fix.

So I've only got two annoying problems left (other than the crash). The first is the problems window. If your project file is anything other than the simplest possible form it flips out and can't find anything inside referenced packages and libs. This causes many many thousands of undefined this and that errors to flood the problems window making it useless.

When it does work sometimes, it digs down into bin and obj and throws up problems with generated code, and annoyingly sticks all of that at the top. I'm sure that will eventually be fixed by someone.

The other problem is probably unique to me. I like to use tabs alot to sort of arrange stuff into columns. It comes from coding in pure c where you'd do all declarations at the top (which I still tend to do). So I do like int<tab>bleh<tab>=69; Older visual studios were smart enough to not try to complete anything if you were tabbing away from a known type. The newer stuff not so much. Sometimes it is just a harmless annoyance, other times it completes some horrible monstrous thing that completely ruins your groove.
You gonna push your fixes to their repo?

I really need to start making some OS contributions. If anyone has a good place to start lemme know. Primarily working in Java at the moment.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
No I went back to MS built. I can't work without a debugger.

Later I'm planning to port my stuff to the dotnet core stuff, and someone made an alternative debugger for that, but for now I'm using the "insiders" build.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
I need a new chair for my home office. I write code throughout most of the day. I use the same desk for gaming. Currently have a shitty leather chair that my wife bought for me years ago and I have always hated it.

I've used Aeron and Aeron clones and like them but I'm also looking at Killabee gamers chairs. The Kilabees look pretty comfy and I see a lot of streamers using them but I am wondering if anyone can comment on the advantages of one or the other.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Every chair I've bought in the last 20 years has been utter shiite. Squeaking popping uncomfortable wobbly crap.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Gaudy is a nice way to say "faggoty".

I'd much rather buy a chair that looks gaudy than sit in something that looks like a huge warning sign from nature.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Staples has big and tall chairs - my new job had me go chair shopping so that is what I got. my home hair is a mesh back fabric bottom and lots of ability to change its tilt etc.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Yeah the Areons are great. I'm just wondering how they compare to the gaming chairs. I don't care if it is ugly so long as it is comfortable and holds up.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I like my secret labs titan as far as gaming chairs go. At the office though I prefer IKEA Markus.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It'd be great if the armrest material didn't crack and fall apart well before the rest of the chair does.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've been waiting forever for a license for our IDE to get approved. I've been just using Notepad++ but using it in any sort of big project is kind of awful because searching for symbols and stuff is nigh impossible.

What's a better alternative? I think I used Atom before and maybe VS code but I can't remember. The codebase is fairly large and based in Git/Bitbucket, and I remember one of those two had a hard time being used because of it (any change would slow the editor to a crawl).

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I've been using VS Code for Python on wormie wormie 's recommendation and it's been great for the usages you mention. It can sometimes get hung up finding symbols but I attribute that to Python's weak typing making determination more difficult. I have not used it for C/C++.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'll give it a whirl at least. Notepad++ is great for editing files but not great for working in a source tree

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Working with a "simple" IDE like Notepad++ will teach you the value of grepping your codebase. Essentially, it teaches you where and how to look for answers. At least, that's what I tell myself. One of my minions still has this annoying habit of asking me questions before putting any real effort into the issue first. 50% of the time, his question is answered by a grep. Against my expectation about learning without an IDE, he doesn't use one, preferring some off-brand Notepad++ knockoff.

My other minion has regressed from using PyCharm to Notepad++, so his merge requests frequently have simple syntax errors.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to put tool usage improvements on their upcoming yearly reviews.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think there's a balance. Early in my career I was afraid of looking like an idiot, so I spent a long time looking for things instead of asking for help. I typically go by the 30-60 minute rule - if I'm truly stuck for that amount of time I'll ask a senior if they have any idea. But I'll always have some documentation of what I've tried. Sometimes it's something that isn't even documented and they'll go "oh yeah, there's this weird thing you have to do.. look at this example". Other times it's up to you to pave the road yourself.

I find a lot of junior engineers doing what you say - just immediately asking for help. I like leading a horse to water, but I hate having to take time out of my work to actually search and dig down for something they're suppsoed to be looking for.

I expect I'll be frustrated next month, apparently I'm the mentor for the new interns. Again.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Well, that's his excuse, he doesn't like looking like an idiot. Fucking up is the best way to learn. I care 100x more about how you respond to the fuck up than the fuck up itself. Unless the fuck up was monumentally stupid and costly.