IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Could you say 'f em' and instead just anonymously scrape the web page search results? Since that apparently has the tags that you need and the API doesn't.
I could but seems like it's a hell of a lot more work then hitting their API endpoints for neatly ordered objects. Shooting off the hip tho, haven't looked into it, yet.

I'll look into it over the next few days.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I could but seems like it's a hell of a lot more work then hitting their API endpoints for neatly ordered objects. Shooting off the hip tho, haven't looked into it, yet.

I'll look into it over the next few days.
It's not too bad once you know where in the DOM to grab stuff.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
It's not too bad once you know where in the DOM to grab stuff.
I'll look into it and report back. Being able to aggregate those gif resources from giphy, tenor and gyfcat, generate metadata and put it to work could yield something cool.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So been reading giphys engineering blog. Love it. Now it's got me looking for more. Currently reading airbnb's on medium.

You guys have any favorite software engineering blogs you read?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So been reading giphys engineering blog. Love it. Now it's got me looking for more. Currently reading airbnb's on medium.

You guys have any favorite software engineering blogs you read?
Try stitch fix tech blog

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
What do you guys do to take a break and decompress after spending hours of going hard in the paint trying to debug something to no avail?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
sleep, drink, laugh into the uncaring abyss

Real talk though, just completely disengage. The brain keeps gnawing on the problem like a background process. Last certification I did was like that, was stuck 24 hours into a 48 hour test I took a break, showered, napped, hung out with the kids, went to the store, came back, immediately had the answer. Yesterday was struggling with this weird nginx config and i'm new to it, did some quests in WoW, came back and was able to crack it pretty quickly.

• 1Solidarity

Louis

Trakanon Raider
What do you guys do to take a break and decompress after spending hours of going hard in the paint trying to debug something to no avail?

Gaming or workout usually helps me disconnect for a bit.

This has been more of an issue for me lately though. After my company was bought out, I ended up getting a job with the purchasing company revolving around ServiceNow, JS, and UIPath.

All of this is brand new to me as my previous job revolved around mainframe and app support, so I've been doing Udemy courses non stop for the last 3 months. Like Chaos said, it just eats at me in the back of my head when Im not fully grasping something or theres an exercise I struggled with.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
1) Checkpoint when you get stuck. I often take a note or two on my progress and map out prospects for avenues of progression to chip away in my tasks.
2) Exercise. Take a walk, bike ride etc. Exercise, sports and games (fun, exciting or physically stresfull) can be an incredibly helpfull catalysts as I find certain emotional states are pure magic in pressing the *good* reset and refresh buttons I need.
3) Recharge with Rest or Sleep. Follow this by a 1/2 hour rest (meditation or even nap) etc where you force yourself to completely let go of everything in your head related to the debugging task.

If a walk or nap is not possible tis good to have different pools of work to dip into and rotate through (preferably something not detail oriented and more relaxing) to let the brain unsquish. Perhaps even work from different projects. Sometimes just reading a novel really helps to let the analytical areas of the brain to chill and recharge.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I have a question. I'm a shit programmer, haven't dont anything in a decade. But I used to fuck around in objective C with some media application I was working on. I would (it seems like frequently) have a problem I couldn't solve, then goto sleep and be able to work it out in a dream. Do yall ever do that? Just curious if that was normal or not.l

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I do that with a lot of stuff, not even just coding problems.

My typical routine when I'm stuck is just walk around our building. One full loop is like 2000-3000 steps. Doesn't always solve the issue but allows me to think unmolested.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I have a question. I'm a shit programmer, haven't dont anything in a decade. But I used to fuck around in objective C with some media application I was working on. I would (it seems like frequently) have a problem I couldn't solve, then goto sleep and be able to work it out in a dream. Do yall ever do that? Just curious if that was normal or not.l
No, I typically have nightmares about past things that never happened.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Gaming or workout usually helps me disconnect for a bit.

This has been more of an issue for me lately though. After my company was bought out, I ended up getting a job with the purchasing company revolving around ServiceNow, JS, and UIPath.

All of this is brand new to me as my previous job revolved around mainframe and app support, so I've been doing Udemy courses non stop for the last 3 months. Like Chaos said, it just eats at me in the back of my head when Im not fully grasping something or theres an exercise I struggled with.
I'm in a similar situation where I took a job doing a lot of new stuff, took on a lot of responsibilities for infrastructure stuff too so theres a lot that is new to me. Couple that with working from home for the first time, it's a weird situation. Hard to make myself stop working when I'm dug in on a problem. But that break time is crucial. In previous jobs I put in a ton of extra study time, this time I've cut that way down and am relaxing, cleaning, gaming, etc. Probably healthier, learning a lot though.