IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Hmm, wonder if I should pivot from picking up node next to python.. Already have some JS experience and 0 python experience. Don't want to spread myself too thin. I need to pick up AWS in the next month as well.

My ideal job would be working on large distributed back-ends with unique problems, think stuff like Twitter, Netflix, etc (don't want to work for Twitter but they have some unique problems). If anyone has any direction on languages/frameworks/tools I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated. (aws specific stuff? Functional programming language for big data? Familiarity with elastic search? Concurrency? Microservices? Etc Etc)

Think I've gotten off to a great start over the past year but as y'all know our industry moves hella fast in adopting new tech. Any feedback is appreciated.
Do you want a job?

It reads like you want a job but it has to do this and with that and this, but not that, and it has to be fun and exciting, and jadada jada.

It reads like a millennial wish list for a job. I get it you have money and you can be picky, but you have to acknowledge that you are being picky, and adjust accordingly.

It reads like you don't want a job but instead want to be paid for what??.

Big data, Python/java/aws.
Mid tier companies net/java/aws.

Salesforce Everywhere.
UI React everywhere.

At this point become a teacher.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Do you want a job?

It reads like you want a job but it has to do this and with that and this, but not that, and it has to be fun and exciting, and jadada jada.

It reads like a millennial wish list for a job. I get it you have money and you can be picky, but you have to acknowledge that you are being picky, and adjust accordingly.

It reads like you don't want a job but instead want to be paid for what??.

Big data, Python/java/aws.
Mid tier companies net/java/aws.

Salesforce Everywhere.
UI React everywhere.

At this point become a teacher.
Not a wish list, it's literally the shit I have to read on every fucking job req, "we want you to know angular, Java/spring/.net, kubernets, docker, REST/SOAP, and these 5 other frameworks and 10 other tools."

I'm literally trying to adapt to the marketplace.
Not necessarily picky but I'd rather blow my brains out than go back to DoD or any huge company that's pigeonholes my career doing fucking ADA for some tank simulators or some shit. Fuck that shit.

Making a huge switch from C and simulations and not looking back. Hard for some people to fathom that. Can't tell you how many times I have to repeatedly tell the same recruiters I don't do embedded.

Edit: don't forget on top of the all those languages/frameworks/tools we also want you to know everything from random bit manipulation tricks, merge sort this anagram made of a linked list and check if a digraph is two colorable. Don't get me wrong. I'm not bitching and playing millennial victim over current tech hiring practices. I'm determined to pull myself up by my bootstraps over this if it's the last thing I ever do. I'll restart from the bottom and work my way up. I disagree with the game but I'm not gonna cry about it, I'm just going to learn to play it better.

Last edited:

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Not a wish list, it's literally the shit I have to read on every fucking job req, "we want you to know angular, Java/spring/.net, kubernets, docker, REST/SOAP, and these 5 other frameworks and 10 other tools."
Dude, they all say that. But no one actually expects you to know everything. The goal is to show a potential employer that you can learn.

Like I said, I think you should settle on a particular stack and try and become competent with it. Create a portfolio around it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Dude, they all say that. But no one actually expects you to know everything. The goal is to show a potential employer that you can learn.

Like I said, I think you should settle on a particular stack and try and become competent with it. Create a portfolio around it.
Java/spring/hibernate is more or less what I'm settled on

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Also, learn a unit-testing framework.
Yep, way ahead of you. Been using JUnit, now NGTest, also selenium and cucumber for automated test. Been making my own web apps in spring. Gonna start setting them up with Jenkins for CI to AWS.

Web stuff is tenfold more fun than simulations. Made a web app that taps tenors API for gifs and uses Google cloud vision to create metadata on them. Just for fun you know?

What I'd love to do is create a giphy like site/API just for memes. Google cloud vision would have a much easier time analyzing static images, could create plenty of metadata to be used to categorize images and yield great search results etc.

Problem is getting those memes. Giving it some thought, you'd have to draw people in with some attractive way to make them on your website. Already plenty of websites that do this. Or convince users to upload memes they find. I thought it would be a cool idea to have an uncensored meme platform with awesome search/categorization due to metadata due to 2020 election coming up.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Problem is getting those memes. Giving it some thought, you'd have to draw people in with some attractive way to make them on your website. Already plenty of websites that do this. Or convince users to upload memes they find.
Could you scrape them off existing sites?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Could you scrape them off existing sites?
Memes? Considered it. Was wondering how much scraping giphy and tenor does. Honestly need to look into it. Giphy has a decent engineering blog. I went with tenor's API because I think their search is way better but tenor rarely gives you tags or titles in object response on their endpoints which is dumb. Emailed them and they said

"You are correct in saying that the response objects miss some things like tags. Hiding tags allows us to protect the intellectual property of the uploader/content creator."

which I'm not sure I understand how that protects IP but ok.

Yeah I'll do some research today and see if I can find all the ways giphy/tenor get gifs and maybe can replicate for memes.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Think of how awesome that would be to scrape our political meme thread, the Donald and Twitter. Then run it through Google cloud vision to generate meta data for tags and categorization. It would be awesome to have all these memes be easily findable, search "Nancy impeachment" and bam, tons of memes on it.

No censorship.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I went with tenor's API because I think their search is way better but tenor rarely gives you tags or titles in object response on their endpoints which is dumb. Emailed them and they said

"You are correct in saying that the response objects miss some things like tags. Hiding tags allows us to protect the intellectual property of the uploader/content creator."
Doing a quick inspection of the DOM from a Tenor search, I can see there's a "search terms" element attached to each GIF. Are those the tags? So instead of using their limited API, you could make your own API that works by scrapping content off their web search since it appears their web search output may have more info than their actual data api. Just a thought.

Think of how awesome that would be to scrape our political meme thread
I've often wondered if the FoH forum software has a public API? But, again, one could theortically create their own API by scrapping shit off the page HTML.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Doing a quick inspection of the DOM from a Tenor search, I can see there's a "search terms" element attached to each GIF. Are those the tags? So instead of using their limited API, you could make your own API that works by scrapping content off their web search since it appears their web search output may have more info than their actual data api. Just a thought.

I've often wondered if the FoH forum software has a public API? But, again, one could theortically create their own API by scrapping shit off the page HTML.
Ya I mean I guess you just hit the endpoints for an individual gif and scrape the tags and title then throw it on your page. Seems like more effort than it's worth to make a tenor clone. I'm just messing around seeing if there's anything interesting I can add or do.

Was thinking some more about the meme scrapping thing. Could be a pita filtering regular images from memes but maybe you could use googs visionML to train it to filter.

What do you guys use for ci/cd? Jenkins? After doing some research seems like gitlab is pretty popular.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
ShakyJake ShakyJake have you used scrapy or any other scraping frameworks?

May try scraping our political memes thread and seeing what ML stuff I can do to create metadata for images. I figure it's more consistently going to be memes then scraping Twitter or Reddit. Good place to start.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Either giphy's search engine sucks or they censor. Nothing for "Pepe" while tenor yields Pepe gifs. Initially chose tenor due to better gif search results imo.

Ironically Google owns tenor.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
ShakyJake ShakyJake gonna try tapping API endpoint of a individual gif when a user clicks it, scraping tags off tenors page then displaying it. Dunno why tenor is being lame and even put the tag field inside their response object when 90% of the time it's empty.

Need to make sure I'm not breaking their API ToS.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Either giphy's search engine sucks or they censor. Nothing for "Pepe" while tenor yields Pepe gifs. Initially chose tenor due to better gif search results imo.

Ironically Google owns tenor.
That's the thing -- use them all. That's what I meant by creating your own API. Under the hood, aggregate results from any number of sites and return your own, single API response.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
That's the thing -- use them all. That's what I meant by creating your own API. Under the hood, aggregate results from any number of sites and return your own, single API response.
That's the thing. I was gonna tap all their endpoints and aggregate from giphy, gyfcat and tenor but tenor specifically outlines that in their ToS they more or less won't let you mix results with other providers or change the order in which search results are returned. I don't want to make something and have my api auth banned.

Makes sense on their end. Tenor's trying to protect themselves. Without reading giphy and gyfcat's ToS I'd imagine they're similar.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
That's the thing. I was gonna tap all their endpoints and aggregate from giphy, gyfcat and tenor but tenor specifically outlines that in their ToS they more or less won't let you mix results with other providers or change the order in which search results are returned. I don't want to make something and have my api auth banned.
Could you say 'f em' and instead just anonymously scrape the web page search results? Since that apparently has the tags that you need and the API doesn't.