IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't code and so I don't do reviews but does it have to be you reviewing his code? Like you and him are paired in some way or can you just say "I don't review code done by Frank" and then someone else has to?

Multiple people are generally involved in the reviewing process. Dudes like this just want it to work, shit it out and move on.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I'm the only reviewer in this case, getting a "second opinion" isn't an option here. I agree that this person is generally unmotivated.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just refuse to approve code if I don't think it's up to snuff. I've done it many times. If the boss thinks it's ok then so be it, I let him approve it.

We also require every code review is approved by two reviewers and our git hooks won't let a check-in occur without a completed code review. There's ways around it of course, but everyone would see it.

I would just say "I don't approve" and if he's got an issue he can raise it to someone else. Having a single reviewer sounds terrible for anything even remotely complicated.

Something to keep in mind is I've been bitten by approving a code review and it being incorrect later on - like a field bug or whatever. Generally you look like an idiot because your name is attached to their code.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Being in telecom is funny right now.

Customers are sending a steady stream of tickets such as:

Provision 600 VPN phones.
Install softphones on every laptop in our company.
How to enable cellphone twinning for 1000+ people in bulk.
Audit license and trunk capacity for remote workers.
Etc.

Like every one of our customers is preparing to empty out their buildings and go into full Business Continuity mode.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Just cross the border into CT. Everything is fine over he.... wait. Actually stay in MA you filthy, diseased heathen.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well I mean besides being CT... I kid. I went there over the summer to Mohegan sun.

My code is working but we keep finding corner cases. I'll own up to those, but to be fair we didn't do integration until today (code freeze was Friday)

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
Speaking of Python, word got out that I have been doing some script work using Python (not my job responsibility) and now I'm being asked to write a script that adds 'Natual Language Searching' to one of our document repositories. I've started looking at the NLTK module but am unsure if that is the best place to start - any advice on how to begin or if it's even really feasible?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Speaking of Python, word got out that I have been doing some script work using Python (not my job responsibility) and now I'm being asked to write a script that adds 'Natual Language Searching' to one of our document repositories. I've started looking at the NLTK module but am unsure if that is the best place to start - any advice on how to begin or if it's even really feasible?
I don't know what exactly you are trying to do but nltk is more of a teaching module. Consider spaCy instead.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I suspect this next bonus round is going to blow based on both our companies earnings reports. Even for people who normally get 120% (I usually get 120%-130%) or so its not going to be that.
Not too worried. I don't consider the bonus part of my salary, we end up just saving it or in the case of this year were paying off my car.

I'm still surprised they haven't closed us yet

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Are any of you amazing at complex git stuff? For a long time I've wanted to restore a very troubled repository of mine.

It started out life as a perforce repo, however all of that history is lost. In 2008 when it was imported into SVN, that's where the history begins.

Several years of SVN go by, and eventually sometime around 2014 it is converted into mercurial.

There are several goals I'd like to accomplish by bringing this into git:

Cull binaries: There are alot of meshes and textures and general crap that all needs to go for good. I think git-filter-repo will work well for this.
Cull sidetracks: Lots of experimental projects that never went anywhere
Fix moves/renames: A LOT of the time when a file was moved (say pulled out of a tool into a lib), the conversion destroyed the link between them changing the move to a delete + add new file.
Fix profane rants: I want to adjust some of the checkin notes to make it more suitable for githublandia.
Separate into submodules: Library code should eventually land in a library submodule. Same for tools and tests.

The tricky bit with that is alot of code started out in a game or a tool, then migrated out into a library. If I use filter repo to chop games, will the history only go back to the time when a file was moved out of a game project?

I've started doing this by advancing one commit at a time, and hand fixing up bad renames / moves. I set the date to the OG repository dates, however I later noticed git has 2 dates. Author and commit, no idea why. Author is correct but commit is not, but I think there may be automated ways to set all commit dates to author dates when I'm done.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Had my yearly review today. All good things. They're challenging me to take more of a leadership role so I can move into tech lead eventually.

In my peer review comments every person said I'm reserved and they can't read me at all. That's the autism I think