IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
whats yalls take on having some messy existing projects dumped on you, thats in a language you have next to no experience w/ (wasnt part of the posting for the job)? and not to someone else who was there when it was written?

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
whats yalls take on having some messy existing projects dumped on you, thats in a language you have next to no experience w/ (wasnt part of the posting for the job)? and not to someone else who was there when it was written?
Depending on how optimistic you're feeling, you could assume that the initial devs fucked it up, and they want to get it as far away from them as possible. If they didn't fuck it up, why would it need to be given to anyone else? And you might as well be optimistic since the pessimistic take is going to make things any better.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Received contact from a Silicon Valley company about a Firmware position. Well known, well-funded, having a lot of success. Remote. I am actually thinking about this because while I'd have to put up with CA people, the pay is retarded, and the product is in my wheelhouse. I could put up with a lot of BS for a couple of years and stack those chips while learning a lot.

So, question for you guys: How have you prepped for this coding test bullshit? I consider myself a fairly competent and efficient coder but I don't do well with a person watching me type and flapping their gums at me while I am trying to think. I am planning to start by just practicing the leetcode medium problems.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I've only had a couple in person/monitored skills tests, the interviewer/proctor was always quiet unless I asked something.

Maybe I'm in the minority, and also a little biased as a native Californian, but in my experience the distribution of jackassery is pretty even across states. It just varies by geography. You could also ask what percentage of the company is remote and where they are.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm in trouble boys.

For 2+ years now I've been using the DBT Core level offering. Just a package install like Java SDK. I have my entire team using it and we build all of our stuff through it now. Really excellent tool btw do recommend.

However, one small little detail is that I made a "single user free developer account" on their cloud platform. I did this so I could use their cloud scheduling service, error handling, remote commands, and notification features for our codebase. As I just hooked it up to our internal bitbucket where they can't see how many people commit to it and so on. Seems they've gotten wise to this and contacted me about their pricing model changes. Its like $0.10 for every single model build after 8000 in a month (we build thousands daily so this will be very expensive very quickly).

Now I need to standup my own solution with a swiftness. Will be a good opportunity though as I've wanted to develop out a slackbot to take commands for my DBT and Airflow stuff and deliver errors and whatnot to a private slack channel for work purposes. But I need to seriously crunch to get this sorted out.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I would just straight up say "bro, wtf do you expect me to do with this? I'm a C developer and I haven't touched Javascript in 10 years or more."

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Oh I tried that, couldn't get out of it and stayed up all night untangling all kinds of local storage object issues with asynchronous tests

I think they've run out of that shit to fuck me with until the next Angular version upgrade

Just rewrite this fucking shit in React, for God's sake. I did one of those upgrades in 20 minutes.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've become a big fan of this btw y'all. If only they integrated it into VSCode directly I would be happier.

Finally retired my tried and true iTerm2.

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
I'm looking for some advice. I currently do IT for a county, so public sector with a Pay scale. I am field service essentially; I get to troubleshoot and work on a bit of everything though. I have about 12 years' experience in this field. I started out in a hospital doing field service work, then I switched over to application support supporting Allscripts EHR and then later a little bit of Cerner EHR.

The hospital went through a re org, and I was put on second shift working as a tier 2 application support analyst. That schedule wasn't working for me so that's how I ended up where I am now. But there's not a lot of room for advancement here, the next step-up would-be network administrator but the current admin is in mid 20's with no plans to leave. My coworker that does the same job as me has been here a lot longer than me and if it did ever open, he would be a shoe in most likely.

I do not have a degree; I got my A+ certification which helped me break into the field ~12 years ago. I honestly have no idea what I would want to do. I would like something that I am able to do remotely though. I have thought about diving into some type of cloud stuff like AWS , Google cloud, or Azure, etc. But I am pretty open, remote and well-paying are the top things, but I know that's what most people want, lol.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I'm looking for some advice. I currently do IT for a county, so public sector with a Pay scale. I am field service essentially; I get to troubleshoot and work on a bit of everything though. I have about 12 years' experience in this field. I started out in a hospital doing field service work, then I switched over to application support supporting Allscripts EHR and then later a little bit of Cerner EHR.

The hospital went through a re org, and I was put on second shift working as a tier 2 application support analyst. That schedule wasn't working for me so that's how I ended up where I am now. But there's not a lot of room for advancement here, the next step-up would-be network administrator but the current admin is in mid 20's with no plans to leave. My coworker that does the same job as me has been here a lot longer than me and if it did ever open, he would be a shoe in most likely.

I do not have a degree; I got my A+ certification which helped me break into the field ~12 years ago. I honestly have no idea what I would want to do. I would like something that I am able to do remotely though. I have thought about diving into some type of cloud stuff like AWS , Google cloud, or Azure, etc. But I am pretty open, remote and well-paying are the top things, but I know that's what most people want, lol.

Dev Ops and CICD with AWS and Terraform is a great direction if you want to go that route.

Otherwise for "IT" traditional stuff - you want routing and switching (CCNA skill level), how to manage/migrate mail servers and manage those certificates, IP telephony is a good one, you probably know how to manage DNS and group policy already.

As for me, I read that this 2023 market is horrid with all the big tech layoffs and those people scrambling to take up any position they can. I will be trying to apply to like 300 or so other remote jobs to get away from the current demon clique, and probably make more money. No idea how I survived 3 years of em and going. In fact, they've run out of nightmares to pull out from under the beds and closets to hurl at me so who knows what will come next lol.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Part of the problem is no one wants to hire generalists, but they want all of their positions to be able to do everything. *Shrug*

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I can pretty much do anything related to backend development and data. It's kept me really firm in my position.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Can you or do you want to code? How do you feel about infrastructure engineering? Sometimes called Site Reliability (although I dislike that name for it IMO).

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
There's hundreds that app for every open position

They keep saying there's a shortage of IT or programming people but what I read is people trying to get one of any 200 jobs with no luck despite have 5+ years of experience doing it

I'm at 15 myself and have slugged out some nearly impossible shit, should be interesting to see the lack of responses when I look again lol

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I last tried to find a job a little over a year ago in part of my yearly "do a few interviews to keep practice" efforts. Never had to try very hard to get an interview or job offers. I have 12 years of experience.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Companies always want to hire someone to match some hyper narrow bullet points instead of just hiring smart people.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
Dev Ops and CICD with AWS and Terraform is a great direction if you want to go that route.

Otherwise for "IT" traditional stuff - you want routing and switching (CCNA skill level), how to manage/migrate mail servers and manage those certificates, IP telephony is a good one, you probably know how to manage DNS and group policy already.

As for me, I read that this 2023 market is horrid with all the big tech layoffs and those people scrambling to take up any position they can. I will be trying to apply to like 300 or so other remote jobs to get away from the current demon clique, and probably make more money. No idea how I survived 3 years of em and going. In fact, they've run out of nightmares to pull out from under the beds and closets to hurl at me so who knows what will come next lol.
Ill look into dev ops and CICD with AWS and Terraform. So out of these what would be the ideal path?
1694544900272.png

Can you or do you want to code? How do you feel about infrastructure engineering? Sometimes called Site Reliability (although I dislike that name for it IMO).
I don't know how to code, and I don't really want to code, no. infrastructure engineering sounds interesting for sure.

Last edited: