Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jack Ryan has pretty much been the worst cast character in all of cinema history.

That said, I think Harrison Ford played him best.

I know exactly how the meeting went down when they pitched this movie though... "established book series: check" "action hero: check" "last bourne movies did well, we'll copy that style: check" "let's print some money"

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I agree. Watched The Hunt for Red October again the other night, and Baldwin just eh something was off. Not to mention the turtlenecks >< I preferred Ford in Clear and Present Danger and Patriot Games, but even so, he still played him as a wild-eyed rube of sorts. The really big fail I thought was casting William Dafoe as John Clark. I like Dafoe, but there's no way in hell he's Clark /shrug

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Before any of the films were made that featured the character I always had Jesse Ventura (Predator/Running Man era) in my mind to be John Clark. They got Domingo right in Clear&Present Danger though.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The really big fail I thought was casting William Dafoe as John Clark. I like Dafoe, but there's no way in hell he's Clark /shrug
Platoon motherfucker. Have you watched it? He damn near WAS John Clark in that movie, 5 years before Clancy had cooked up his back story.

OneofOne

Clearly you haven't read the books. Some tiny ass mofo (muscled or not) is not John Clark.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
C'mon man, I've read Without Remorse 3 or 4 times, although it's been awhile since the last time. Willem Dafoe is a touch under 6 feet tall, as far as a quick Google tells me. I don't recall, was there a specific mention of Clark being huge or something? He was most likely somewhere around 6' tall as well. Also keep in mind that in the Clear and Present Danger timeline Clark was around 45-50 years old.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
They dont specifically mention how tall he was. However I remember several times him being mentioned as very muscular which Dafoe is definitely not.

OneofOne

It's not how tall he is, it's his bulk Eomer. Dafoe has wiry muscle - when every other impression in the novels gave Clark as being a man of some bulk. I don't quite see him in a Jesse Ventura kinda bulk, but more than your average guy. Regardless, he's not some wiry Dafoe.

Domingo in the film was pretty decent, though I suppose Rainbow Six gives me a much more... I dunno, snappy/sarcastic vision of him? Especially because he was younger in Clear and Present Danger.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Meh, we can agree to disagree I guess, I thought Dafoe was fine in Clear and Present Danger, and was phenomenal as a stealthy, effective soldier in Platoon.