Jamaica

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Don't go. It's a fucking shit hole. Even staying at a 5 star all inclusive it fucking sucks. The staff are lazy, slow, rude and spend 90% of their time either trying to fuck your women or sell you drugs. Unless you dangle an American bill in front of them, good luck getting a drink with dinner. I stayed at the Ibero Star Rose in Montego Bay for a bud's wedding, and while the beach and the resort itself were nice, the staff ruined it. Several of the girls got calls in their rooms late at night from staff offering to bring "champagne" to their room, one said a room service guy almost wouldn't leave her room when he brought her order up, and another pretty much got stalked the whole week we were there. I had heard that could be a problem in Jamaica from others, but figured it was an exaggeration. It's not. Montego Bay itself is an utter shit hole.

Seriously, don't go. If you do, maybe try Nigrel. The bride/groom spent a week there before the wedding and said it was much nicer.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Negril is pretty decent. Stayed at Rockhouse on the cliffs and it was pretty. Was high most of the time, so that 8 days was a bit of a blur - but all inclusive resorts anywhere are a waste of money in my experience.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Oh yeah, not a fan of all inclusives to begin with, but the one we went to a couple years ago for another friend's wedding in Costa Rica blew this one away. Same price, same rating. The primary difference was the level of service and quality of staff. People in Costa Rica were genuinely friendly. People in Jamaica could only give a fuck about you if you had a couple singles in your hand. Everything there is a scam. Some of the girls wanted to see the actual farmer's market where Jamaicans in Montego Bay buy their food etc, so we arranged a van to take us. That fucking asshole taxi driver took us to two tourist trap markets (where the vendors will literally shout at you from across the lane to come look at their cheap made in China shit if you look in their direction) before he took us to the actual market we told him we wanted to go to in the first place.

Yeah, I was really quite disgusted with the "culture" there, to say the least. It's no surprise the place is a shithole.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Bro it comes down to the simple fact what race of people do they claim to descend from?

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
You just really have to know where/who to travel with here. You were staying at a piece of shit resort, it's no surprise you had a shitty time. I've been to Jamaica 20+ times, it's beautiful and the people are awesome. My family used to own a house there where we would bring our employees on vacation to, we hired a maid service that was awesome that we never had any problems with (obviously this isn't the same experiences everyone will have), also we stayed at the Franklyn D. all inclusive resort multiple times, hands down was some of the best time in my life visiting there, went scuba diving, walked up waterfalls, met some of the nice locals.

I would suggest going to Jamaica for literally anyone, you just have to be careful where you go. It IS a third world country and all.
FDR was one of the only all inclusive resorts that was well worth it. Last time I went I was 16, my brother and I just walked around the resort getting massively drunk on free alcohol, chilling by the grill and having a 70 year old Jamaican dude make us jerked chicken, went scuba diving for free, fishing on the beach, sleeping with these two chicks from England.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anyone else been to Jamaica recently? The wife and I and a couple we know are going to Couples Negril in may. I've heard great things about Jamaica but terrible things about Montego Bay in general.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Anyone else been to Jamaica recently? The wife and I and a couple we know are going to Couples Negril in may. I've heard great things about Jamaica but terrible things about Montego Bay in general.
I'm heading back to Negril in a couple weeks for another wedding. Hoping the experience is far, far better this time around (Montego Bay last time, see OP). Asshole friends and their shitty destination weddings three out of the past four years are pissing me off. Gonna take my advanced scuba certification to dull the pain.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Do your friends pay for your airfare? You're going to a lot of places...a lot. Lol.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Nope. And I already know there's going to be at least one more destination wedding in 2015. For fuck's sake!

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Jamaica is probably the most overrated vacation destination imaginable. Filthy, crime ridden, lazy beyond lazy attitude when it came to service, and if you're going for the weed you can get it on other islands as well. I went once about ten years back and my experience was very similar to what you describe. To be honest with you the service generally sucks on all the islands, with the exception of the Grand Caymans, St-Barts, and to a lesser extend St-Kitts. But Jamaica is pretty much the worse place I've been from a service/organization standpoint. Even fucking Haiti was better when I went.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Service was kind of like that on Moorea, French Polynesia. Well, the "I'm going to take my sweet ass time," attitude, that is.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Only time I went to an all inclusive was in Cancun and I thought the staff was very friendly and very quick

Also destination weddings are for arrogant fucks who think its cool to expect you to pay thousands to attend their god damned party

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Destination weddings are for people who don't give a shit if you show up or not.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I always viewed destination weddings as a method to weed out those that don't really want to show up at your wedding in the first place. The one's that groan when they see the wedding invite, know they have to attend, and are already calculating how soon they'll the able to bail-- basically me. A destination wedding invite to me is a get out of jail free card.. There's probably nothing I hate more than going to a wedding and will heartily admit I prefer funerals-- at least I'm not expected to walk around with a fake smile on my face making polite conversation with 100 distant relatives I haven't seen since I was 10 years old.

Tenks

I always viewed destination weddings as a method to weed out those that don't really want to show up at your wedding in the first place. The one's that groan when they see the wedding invite, know they have to attend, and are already calculating how soon they'll the able to bail-- basically me. A destination wedding invite to me is a get out of jail free card.. There's probably nothing I hate more than going to a wedding and will heartily admit I prefer funerals-- at least I'm not expected to walk around with a fake smile on my face making polite conversation with 100 distant relatives I haven't seen since I was 10 years old.
But what about close family that are basically required to attend? I find it a dick move. Some people don't have the means to go on a great vacation but really would like to attend the wedding. Destination weddings are a giant middle finger to those people. Back in college my cousin got married destination style and I was a strained college student. Now I had to come up with the cash to get to her wedding to go to a place I didn't even feel like vacationing in. I find it completely uncool.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I agree they can be a bit of a pain in some respects. Most of my friends have done them to thin the herd down, mostly, and avoid huge weddings. Which I don't really have a problem with, because in that case, like Wombat said they're basically giving you a get out of jail free card to not attend. If someone has a destination wedding and expects you to attend or otherwise gives you shit for not making it, then they're an inconsiderate asshole. Oh and the destination wedding also eliminates wedding presents, which is a-okay in my book.

One of the couples just had a reception/party back in town after their wedding in Costa Rica. That was fine by me. All the good stuff of a reception, none of the gay ceremony. Overall though, I find weddings enjoyable if it's my friends, because it's basically just a big party where I get to drink for free or nearly free.

Tenks

I still find it pretty egocentric to have a destination wedding. It just screams "All about us" when, I feel, weddings are just as important to your family. Sure you may not talk to Aunt Ruth all the time but she still watched you grow up and would love to attend your wedding. Well now you have to pay 4 grand. Your buddy who doesn't have quite as good a job as you but still would like to attend your day? Yeah go fuck off you poor shit. I have a different approach where I can acknowledge weddings are pretty important to the family not just the people involved. And that seems to be not too widely popular an opinion. If you don't want someone at the wedding than ball-up and simply don't invite them. Don't send this worthless gesture of an invite saying "BTW, random uncle I never talk to, this wedding is in Jamaica and will cost you 4k" just to clear your mind of "Well I invited him and he didn't come ... not my fault!"