Jamaica

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Its a good way to keep the guest list down without drama and can keep costs down as well. Weddings are about whatever the bride and groom want, its their day. If Aunt Ruth wants to be part of the equation she can make an effort.

I also agree Jamaica is a total shit hole. There are far better places just about anywhere else in the world for all inclusive.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
But what about close family that are basically required to attend? I find it a dick move. Some people don't have the means to go on a great vacation but really would like to attend the wedding. Destination weddings are a giant middle finger to those people. Back in college my cousin got married destination style and I was a strained college student. Now I had to come up with the cash to get to her wedding to go to a place I didn't even feel like vacationing in. I find it completely uncool.
If someone has a destination wedding I don't think they seriously expect those that can't afford it to make the trip. If I had a destination wedding, I know my brother would not be able to afford the flight, so I will either pay for it or accept the fact that he can't make it. I know that *if* I ever get married (and that's a big unlikely if at this point) it will be a destination wedding, and if anything it will allow me to send out invites to all those people I don't give a shit about (but I'm obliged to invite) and allow them to bow out gracefully due to time/cost. In the end I'll have a) met my obligation to invite my 2rd cousins, great aunt etc knowing full well they won't come b) effectively reduced headcount to only those I really want there and/or those that felt it was worth their time/money to come and c) achieved my wedding venue of choice.

P.S: Yes, it would be a selfish move to have a destination wedding if you know that a significant portion of your immediate family either can't afford it or can't take the time off to come. But outside of that group of people, it's fair game imho. I've already accepted the fact that I will be paying for my dad and brother to come to mine (if that day ever comes). I just consider it a wedding cost at this point.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
Something else to consider is the cost for destination weddings is much, much cheaper. Wife and I got married in Cabo. Airfare was like $800 round-trip. Hotel stay for 6 nights was $1600ish in honeymoon suite. Wedding package was like $2000 and that included all the finishes the wife wanted, ceremony, reception, photographer. So we were out $4500~ for a great wedding. Compare that to having it locally where every person you've ever shook hands with feels like they need to be invited. Even renting something ghetto as shit like a YMCA for 5-6 hours was like $2000. Add in photography, music, and enough catering for the 80-100 people we would feel the need to invite. And most people expect an open bar....

Yeah fuck that. 3 years out of college, not wracking up a 20 grand in debt so you can come eat mahi or steak and put your $5 in the tip jar for $50 worth of alcohol and share our special day. We had immediate family who could afford it, and invited 5-6 friends each if we thought they could afford it, no pressure if they can't.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Had a friend get married on St Thomas. We all took a cruise down there. Wedding was on the island, we all got fucked up and had a blast on the beach and took the bus back. Reception was done in a private room in the $$ steak house the next night where they paid $35 a head for everyone to pig out.

Dirt cheap but awesome wedding.

/derail

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I think what it comes down to is whether you think that someone's (or your own) wedding is something that EVERYONE close to you has to attend, or whether it's something that isn't the end of the world if people miss. I'm in the latter camp. If I can't make a friend's wedding, it's not the end of the world to me, nor is it to them. Sometimes other shit gets in the way.

upsetter_sl

shitlord
Anyone else been to Jamaica recently? The wife and I and a couple we know are going to Couples Negril in may. I've heard great things about Jamaica but terrible things about Montego Bay in general.
Yeah...MB is a hole. Negril is much, much better(and Port Antonio is better than both, IMO) You're still gonna run in to opportunistic higglers on the beach...and elsewhere.

I highly recommend you get off your resort...take your wife to Ivan's for dinner...it's located up on the cliffs at Catcha Falling Star resort:

http://www.catchajamaica.com/ivans.htm

I know Negril pretty well and can offer advice. Where are you staying OP?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Looks like we are at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay this time around. Lemme know if you got any great ideas, I'm taking my advanced Scuba Tues/Wed, wedding is Thurs, but I've got Fri-Sun free before we fly back. Maybe a suggestion for something romantic for the special lady friend?

upsetter_sl

shitlord
Looks like we are at the Riu Palace Tropical Bay this time around. Lemme know if you got any great ideas, I'm taking my advanced Scuba Tues/Wed, wedding is Thurs, but I've got Fri-Sun free before we fly back. Maybe a suggestion for something romantic for the special lady friend?
Take her to dinner at the spot I mentioned above...when making a reservation request their night of 100 Candles.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Yeah...MB is a hole. Negril is much, much better(and Port Antonio is better than both, IMO) You're still gonna run in to opportunistic higglers on the beach...and elsewhere.

I highly recommend you get off your resort...take your wife to Ivan's for dinner...it's located up on the cliffs at Catcha Falling Star resort:

http://www.catchajamaica.com/ivans.htm

I know Negril pretty well and can offer advice. Where are you staying OP?
We're staying at Couples Negril. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Vacation in tropical paradise at Couples Negril by Couples Resorts. Luxurious, all-inclusive hotel in Jamaica. Book your dream vacation today!

upsetter_sl

shitlord
Both you guys are staying on Bloody Bay...kind of isolated from where the parties at on Seven Mile(and a lot less higglers!)...that could be a good thing depends on what you are looking for. Here's a map:http://wikimapia.org/#lang=en&lat=18...1343382/Negril

There's a spot close by called Office of Nature...it's a little spot where you can get some authentic Jamaican food made by rastas...it has a cool vibe.

This guy(Lenbert) hosts this really fun thing called the One Love Bus Pub Crawl. Info. here:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction...h_Jamaica.html

There's a wealth of information here:
http://negril.com
and here:
http://www.negrilonestop.com

You guys are staying at AI's, but I can't stress enough to get off the resort for a least a couple meals. There is so much good food in Negril!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I hate destination weddings. The only way you will get me to come to one is to put me in the wedding party and I will be pissed off at you for it. My sister was talking about getting married in Vegas and I explained to her that this would basically be a fuck you to the entire family.

Coming from rural Montana I was always horrified by how much people spent on weddings in California. In Montana most people rent out a hall (less than $1000) get a big roaster full of roast beef or ham or something and have the church ladies make some salads. Pay a local country band $400 to play for a dance afterwards and have a cash bar or a couple kegs of bud light and everyone will be happy and you wind up married. Then I go to California and people are spending their life savings on caterers and wedding planners and venues in wineries and shit. I guess it's all about expectations but it seems like a terrible idea to me for somebody to go way in debt to start off their married life.