Poll January Retro Game of the Month - VOTE now!

What game should be play for Jan RGOTM?

• Toe Jam & Earl - Genesis

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Sword of Hope - Gameboy

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Phantasy Star 1 - Master System

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Super Mario Land 2: Yoshi's Island - SNES

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • Bonk's Adventure - TurboCrapix16

• Wario Land - VirtualBoy

• Plok - SNES

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Donkey Kong Country - SNES

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Metal Gear - NES

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Voted. If Donkey Kong is the pick, are we doing just for fun or should we do it as 100%+ clear? Might make Xadion lose his mind :p

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Will anyone go for the triple crown and attempt to do all three DKC games in the month of January?
I was scrolling through on the retro pi and thinking about it just the other day so I'll probably jump in if it's the pick.

• 1Like

Szlia

I beat Yoshi Island not that long ago and Metal Gear a few months back: these are out for me. So I voted to all the other games that I have and have not beaten and are not certified crap like DKC... I may give it another shot if it wins though, but... god... I thought it was crap then and still thought it was crap when I tried it on SNES Mini.

That being said, much to my surprise (and a modicum of chagrin since it's a somewhat significant game even if not that great), I don't have Bonk's Adventure aka PC Kid (I am pretty sure I had it on a multi-game CD when I bought my Turbo Duo, but at some point I sold that CD to someone - sustaining an imported video game habit as a teenager meant reselling / trading a bunch of stuff).

Siliconemelons

What what, PS1 coming into 3rd! With metal gear and DKC still holding the lead!

That old man Donky Kong guy is going to soon be turning that crank over time!

Siliconemelons

If you are wanting to do a STON CV game, then I would suggest Order of Ecclesia, it out of all the non-belmont games is great, next I dare say Circle of the Moon.

I also have a soft spot for Harmony of Dissonance as it is essentially CV2 remade as a metroidvania and the cause of me now beating the shit out of every save rooms walls in every game now...

Therage

Vyemm Raider
Will anyone go for the triple crown and attempt to do all three DKC games in the month of January?

I will, although the third one is meh imo. First two are great. I like the second one best honestly but might be because I remember going to toysrus and buying it day after Christmas.

• 1Like

Therage

Vyemm Raider
If you are wanting to do a STON CV game, then I would suggest Order of Ecclesia, it out of all the non-belmont games is great, next I dare say Circle of the Moon.

I also have a soft spot for Harmony of Dissonance as it is essentially CV2 remade as a metroidvania and the cause of me now beating the shit out of every save rooms walls in every game now...

I love sotn and the fact they just released it and rondo of blood on ps4 might make it easy to do rondo. The Gameboy games are legit though, love them all.

Siliconemelons

PS1 just came in and met MG1 at 9 vs DKC's 10.

Close!

We never had solid themes for nominations and months- it's just what people tended to nominate etc.

We can change that if people think it would be good and increase participation.

We are coming off a classic RPG, so that is why generally people wouldn't want to go into another.

But I saw, so it the will of "the people" !

• 1Like

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
I'm down for more structure and focus for the RGotM as I think it's a great idea in general for us all to enjoy the classics and share and post about it. ...and you know, something whimsical to look forward to here at the beginning of each month! I tell people a lot that my generation is the video game generation... Like my parents getting nostalgic for old toys, dolls, records or what have you, OUR nostalgia is some of the first vidja games ever created if you're a 40-something today.

Anyway, as far as this thread... I say we have more rigidity with the themes and era but keep the tone of 'what it is about' pretty low key.

Can we also draw the line between retro / non-retro between PS1 and PS2?

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
The DK games are some of the worst I've ever played

dktaunt.jpg

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

In general "retro" is considered "able to drink" aka 21years or older - so we have steadily been getting into "modernist" games

This as with everything, is no set in stone rule ;)

Zaide

TLP Idealist
In general "retro" is considered "able to drink" aka 21years or older - so we have steadily been getting into "modernist" games

This as with everything, is no set in stone rule ;)

15 months until we can nominate EQ as the rgotm!

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users