Jimquisition: New Shows on Monday

Caliane

yeah.
I don't remember where I said, or what exactly we were even discussing. Kickstarter maybe/probably?

It is unreasonable to think the average customer can be realistically informed on any digital purchase. No one really has the time to do due diligence into sorting out the lies and propaganda of reviews, marketing, and company histories.

Hell, I was just looking at Metacritic yesterday.
Might and magic X:Legacy has a fucking 70 on it. What even the shit? Even metacritic is useless in actually helping make good choices anymore. That game is fucking great.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
yeah.
I don't remember where I said, or what exactly we were even discussing. Kickstarter maybe/probably?

It is unreasonable to think the average customer can be realistically informed on any digital purchase. No one really has the time to do due diligence into sorting out the lies and propaganda of reviews, marketing, and company histories.

Hell, I was just looking at Metacritic yesterday.
Might and magic X:Legacy has a fucking 70 on it. What even the shit? Even metacritic is useless in actually helping make good choices anymore. That game is fucking great.
Is that review taking the game breaking bugs in to account? If so, I agree with it. Deleted saves, getting puzzle stuck, etc. if those bugs didn't exist it would be a 90+ for sure.

I'm not defending review sites at all, just trying to throw some logic at scoring MMX so low.

Caliane

General. Metacritic is an aggregate of all critics and users.
so M&Mx "Averaged" 70.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Right because those reviews don't come from people who necessarily love that type of game, they come from everyone. A 70 or 80 is not a bad score for a game that has a smaller appeal. There is nothing that requires you to like a genre to review a game - that really gets crossed up in the aggregate of a reviews for music, movies, games, largely because of their large market appeal as mediums. As a consumer watching some lets play, reading steam reviews (much better blurbs at least because 100% of people who bought game thought they would enjoy it. And Potentially a much better judge than say the 10 reviewers at major sites that set 20-30-50% of the rating a game will see on a site like metacritic. Its still a useful tool but its hardly infallible. And some combination of watching shit yourself, looking at major reviews and minor consumer reviews can give a good personal sense if the game is right for you.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
To be fair though Dandain - there used to be a day and age where only people who liked a given genre reviewed it and/or could be impartial enough to not impress THEIR PERSONAL PREFERENCES on what the general consensus would be on it.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I agree with you on that, but the modern age is less about quality information and more about quantity of it. Its the individuals job to sort search and catalog information based on its relative validity and find those gems inside the junk. That's just purely a function of the internet age. I'd love it if the major review sites worked hard to make sure that games always got a review from an informed passionate fan of the game style - but that just doesn't happen consistently to assume its always the case.

Vaclav

Dan- Honestly I think there's a good site to be had making a metacritic with review site quality control that aggregates only reviewers that are in their mileaux.

Vaclav

Might I suggest, since you keep having lots of Jimquisition posts, that we make a single Jimquisition thread? Since they're all similar criticisms of the industry and all by the same host - I think they're excellent things I enjoy watching (in fact oddly was watching this one right before I saw the thread pop up) but I don't think we need an individual thread each. Just my 2c though.

Although on the actual topic - thank God UBIsoft is actually breaking that stupid trend that he's talking about that's very true in most of the US industry though. M&M Legacy and Child of Light would never happen with EA or the others at the helm.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I want to like the show, but that last one was too petty. He could've called attention to it without crusading about it... I think the message would've resonated better and seemed less like a schoolyard yelling fight.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I want to like the show, but that last one was too petty. He could've called attention to it without crusading about it... I think the message would've resonated better and seemed less like a schoolyard yelling fight.
He was on a crusade, because howdaresomebody not know who Jim Sterling is! It was very cleverly veiled, but rest assured that is the largest reason for this video.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
He was on a crusade, because howdaresomebody not know who Jim Sterling is! It was very cleverly veiled, but rest assured that is the largest reason for this video.
I wouldn't say it wasthatcleverly veiled. He did say as much in the video ("Haha he had no idea who I was and I have SCREEN GRABS").

I do enjoy perusing through his videos on subjects that interest me. Nobody makes a hit 100% of the time. Ole Jim is apparently no exception. Probably my favorite video so far is Free to Wait.

Caliane

I thought kirun was being sarcastic.

and yeah, that whole part with him being so offended someone never heard of him was pretty amusingly ironic.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I thought kirun was being sarcastic.

and yeah, that whole part with him being so offended someone never heard of him was pretty amusingly ironic.
Upon rereading, I agree, he was being sarcastic, and I was being dense.