Jimquisition: New Shows on Monday

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
yeah.
I don't remember where I said, or what exactly we were even discussing. Kickstarter maybe/probably?

It is unreasonable to think the average customer can be realistically informed on any digital purchase. No one really has the time to do due diligence into sorting out the lies and propaganda of reviews, marketing, and company histories.

Hell, I was just looking at Metacritic yesterday.
Might and magic X:Legacy has a fucking 70 on it. What even the shit? Even metacritic is useless in actually helping make good choices anymore. That game is fucking great.
Difference between taking a chance on a game youve never heard and buying the newly repacked and minted shit that is this years call of duty. A lot of the blame in all this lies in the studios themselves. Look at DICE, made an amazing game and what happens? Owners sell out to EA, literally. Now we have some on rails bullshit that is on a fraction of how good it could be if EA wasnt controlling the ip/studio like a malignant tumor.

Triple A developers will be dead within a decade thanks to the indie community(indie even a proper word anymore?) combined with digital distribution.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Thats every gamer's pipe dream. Unfortunately, EA wont stop doing what it do anytime soon. Enjoy the slow and eternal decay of the games industry.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Jim has a mighty hardon for Steam these days.

I however, have never had any issues with Steam. Guess I'm not ritartid.

Caliane

Early access does have problems. hes not wrong on that.

Steam isn't doing enough quality control, and they are also not really making a clear seperation between early access, and normal games.
Like, having greenlight stuff as part of their holiday sales. totally intermingled with full release games.

I like starbound and all. but starbound isnt even CLOSE to being finished. It should not have been promoted as it was.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I think paid early access is shitty in general. It's just being used as a quick money injection instead of quality control.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think paid early access is shitty in general. It's just being used as a quick money injection instead of quality control.
It's essentially paying to beta test. Quite frankly, with how much people salivate over the "latest and greatest", I'm shocked game makers didn't start using it sooner. Especially in an era of "free" to play, DLC, etc.

Upon rereading, I agree, he was being sarcastic, and I was being dense.
A job well done then.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I seriously cannot listen to that fat cunt for more than 30 seconds without wanting to just hurt him. His character or whatever is seriously the most grating thing I've encountered in a long time.

I don't even really disagree with a lot of what he says, and his podcasts that he does with TB are pretty good, but holy shit his Jimquisition videos just throw me in to a blind rage of wanting to hurt him.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Jim has a mighty hardon for Steam these days.

I however, have never had any issues with Steam. Guess I'm not ritartid.
I like steam the way it is. People who don't do their research deserve to get fucked. 90% of the game industries problems are due to the fact that assholes just toss their money out at anything that moves without thought.

People aren't changing anytime soon, and neither are businesses. One is a retarded ass swarm, and the other likes collecting money from it. The only reason it took so long to evolve to this is the fact that constant patches couldn't really happen in the past. Now it's a lot easier to nickle and dime people. About all honest gamers can do is support the games that actually are good and well-made into huge successes, so all the other flak have a goal to shoot for.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
No they're right "early access" is getting out of hand. It's allowing developers to be lazy and become complacent. Why work hard or produce quality content when you already have the money?

They keep this up its going to bite them in the ass hard.

nate_sl

shitlord
I agree, these days a beta on steam really means, "We have the shell of the game in place, it's mostly functional, and if people are willing to pay for it in this state... Fuck it, we're finished!"

Specifically I'm looking at Rust and Day-Z, both of which could be tremendous games, but seemingly stopped getting regular updates as soon as people started buying them.

Day-Z has been in "beta" for what, almost two years now? There has been player content produced in that time period that far exceeds the work done by the actual development team. It seems like a lot of these projects start as labors of love, get popular and generate some cash, and suddenly the development comes to a screeching halt.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Yeah Rust big time. I mean its fun(put 500 hours into in January lol) but wheres the content update or expanded features? Ive followed it since then and nothing has changed. Small tweaks or bug fixes but no big rollout of new features or tech.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I hear these stories all the time. "I gave them my money, now I'm mad they didn't do what they promised."

Stop paying for unfinished products. Steam could stop selling them, and the devs and the assholes that prop this shit up will just buy it somewhere else. Why would I wish steam to suffer simply because their client base is retarded? It's not reasonable to expect that of them at all.

Ever hear of the term 'buyer beware'? Companies only have to act as well as their consumers demand, and the internet gaming consumer doesn't demand a damn thing apparently.