Job Hunting

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Seems like you could pull together a fairly strong data analyst resume. I can't say that I've explored the field much, but there has to be lots of jobs for that role in RTP. Check out SAS, I believe it has won best place to work in USA a few times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
seems it’s more like being an actor in that you land a job, work your ass of to complete the project and then your done.
Except that actors are chasing fame and blockbuster paydays, and also just generally get paid more for their time due to the project-based nature of the industry (maybe not true for the starving-artist noobs). In the game industry, you're paid less for the privilidge of working on games but still need to budget for potentially months of job-hunting and relocating at literally any given moment.

Not all game jobs end up as horror stories of course, but the liklihood of any given job turning into one is much higher than normal. If you want to work in the game industry while minimizing the risk, look for studios that:
-have been around for a LONG time
-make games that you've never heard of
-are no where near any other game company physically

Places like this have found a profitable niche and are probably run more like a real company. They also have a harder time hiring people because they're in the middle of nowhere (relative to the game industry) and aren't churning out fanboy fodder. Turnover is also smaller because they don't need 2000 people to grind out content for the last 6 months of a 4 year production schedule. (Note that this might also eliminate whatever perceived benefits that you think will make a game company an improvement over your current job.)

Either way, it's hardly something that should really be considered for a passing interest. Chasing big name studio jobs is really only a good option for people who would be content spending all their waking hours working for free if the company gave them a cot and food. It's not that bad, but if you wouldn't be happy in that situation, then you'll be unhappy eventually once the shinyness wears off.

Alternitively, why not make and release your own indie game? You get to sort of see what it's like but at your own pace and with no risk (other than whatever time you want to invest), and it will make you more employable if you decide to go that route. And as an added bonus, you have the real (albeit tiny) chance of making something that actually sells, which is pretty much the only way to ever get a realpayday out of the game industry.

• 1Solidarity

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah I would never want to work in the gaming industry. I work with a number of video game companies and have visited their offices. Ubisoft is the only one that seems stable in any regard because employee happiness is literally one of their two corporate priorities. Some of the folks I interact with have been there for almost 20 years.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Data analyst has been my primary search criteria, I’ll look in to the BI stuff and see what companies are looking for. Thanks for the responses and input, sucks to hate my job this much, but pretty sure it’s not going to get better at this point.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Data analyst has been my primary search criteria, I’ll look in to the BI stuff and see what companies are looking for. Thanks for the responses and input, sucks to hate my job this much, but pretty sure it’s not going to get better at this point.

I just started a Data Science position and I'm engineering their entire platform now. I couldn't be happier this is something I really really wanted to do. I was never a BI guy specifically, but I have done some reporting stuff. If you are focusing more on Front End reporting this is a BI developer position. The terms are all fucked up these days if you ask me. Right now I am working out their data hygiene issues and it's a fucking blast. Along with my CS degree I also have an Economics degree and I loved the consumer data analytics part of that. I realized I needed a PHD to actually make Econ work so I ended up getting a CS degree too. But now I get to leverage BOTH!

I hated my well paid amazing benefits job at GM. So I took a job with a little better direct pay and worse benefits. Best decision I've made in the past few years.

Man it feels good to actually look forward to waking up and going to work.

Although their hotel space desks and hipster office shit can go to hell. I don't like that.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Previous employer decided to use me as a lead for six months before spitting me out and reverting me to individual contributor despite being sole sup for some 70-odd people. Enter my new job offer where I will be making more as an individual contributor than I was as a lead at my former position (admittedly, with worse benefits and an especially crappy 401k, but it's a newer company, so I'll grant them a partial excuse.)

Karma's a bitch, and hell hath no fury like a gay guy scorned.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Interesting jobs I've stumbled upon in my search...

Software engineer at a Hispanic pawn shop. Interdesting....

Taco Bell in need of highly qualified software engineer. How many cheesy gordita's do I have to eat to up my qualifications?

Pokemon company. Didn't realize that game freak still existed but looks like this company manages Pokemon brand and does licensing, seems to be owned by game freak and Nintendo. For some reason I had assumed Nintendo has bought the Pokemon brand.

sketch-1556276072589.png

sketch-1556276157902.png

sketch-1556276077707.png

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I used to work for Nintendo. I think the Pokemon Bellevue office may have opened after I left. It's probably a decent place to work but Bellevue has ridiculous cost of living and some of the shittiest traffic in the US.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Even though Pokemon is owned by Nintendo they largely operate autonomously.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Saw this viral survey someone started here about salaries
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rGCKXIKt-7l5gX06NAwO3pjqEHh-oPXtB8ihkp0vGWo/htmlview?sle=true

Interesting to see what people are getting paid based on title, industry and area. I wish it included company names.

edit: google spreadsheet embed thing sucks.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I used to work for Nintendo. I think the Pokemon Bellevue office may have opened after I left. It's probably a decent place to work but Bellevue has ridiculous cost of living and some of the shittiest traffic in the US.
Good to know! I actually applied to Nintendo just for kicks, wasn't really suited for the job. Lots of jobs in Bellevue though.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Has title mania invaded all industries now? Friend sent me a list of titles the company he works for was hiring for. I didn't know what any of them did. He then sent me descriptions of the jobs and not one of them was I not qualified for. I had never heard of them. Is this a new thing or was I just unaware as usual.

One of them was something expeditor. The description to me sounded like flunkie class document control. Make sure stuff goes out and is stamped/logged as it comes in.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Has title mania invaded all industries now? Friend sent me a list of titles the company he works for was hiring for. I didn't know what any of them did. He then sent me descriptions of the jobs and not one of them was I not qualified for. I had never heard of them. Is this a new thing or was I just unaware as usual.

One of them was something expeditor. The description to me sounded like flunkie class document control. Make sure stuff goes out and is stamped/logged as it comes in.

Seems to be the case lol.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
That it's the case or I'm totally unaware lol, or both. Most everywhere I've ever worked most people don't have a title. Just a department. Like accounting, engineering, estimating and no actual titles.

Just think tho, someone gets paid to dream up these titles. Good work if you can get it I guess.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

For software definitely. The term "software engineer" has become retarded broad. One company I interviewed for had principle software engineer, senior software engineer and master software engineer. Wtf is a master software engineer?

Actual software product companies I haven't seen this at as much. But I've seen a TON of I.T. being relabeled as software engineer and job reqs/recruiters putting/giving vague requirements/descriptions, very bait and switchy.

Honestly can't figure it out. I feel like they'd have better luck labeling it I.T. so people had less expectations on pay.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I watched a video about shit like this and its essentially due to the HR and whatnot operating on buzzwords without really understanding what they are actually meaning. Which is why Business Intelligence for example has way more titles than even Software Engineering despite all of them mostly doing the same shit. Now BI and Data Science are also being combined for some reason.

I had this out with my new manager just yesterday. He wants to hire a Salesforce Administrator. So I told him okay write a job description for Salesforce Admin. But he is calling it something like Business Systems Account Administrator or something like that because he doesn't want the guy to think he will only be doing Salesforce stuff even though that is explicitly what we want him for. He would just be doing other stuff too here and there like most jobs.

• 1WTF

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I watched a video about shit like this and its essentially due to the HR and whatnot operating on buzzwords without really understanding what they are actually meaning. Which is why Business Intelligence for example has way more titles than even Software Engineering despite all of them mostly doing the same shit. Now BI and Data Science are also being combined for some reason.

I had this out with my new manager just yesterday. He wants to hire a Salesforce Administrator. So I told him okay write a job description for Salesforce Admin. But he is calling it something like Business Systems Account Administrator or something like that because he doesn't want the guy to think he will only be doing Salesforce stuff even though that is explicitly what we want him for. He would just be doing other stuff too here and there like most jobs.
That's so frustrating. Yep, that one company I was referring to had this buzzphrase "you make it you own it." Every time I tried to narrow down with an interviewer or the recruiter WTF an actual day on the job would look like they danced around with buzzwords and used this phrase non-stop. This shit is beyond annoying. Everyone /r/cscareerquestions seems pretty upset with how tech hiring is being done now, so I don't feel as bad that it's isolated.

TJT TJT happen to have a link to the vid, if it's public?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
That's so frustrating. Yep, that one company I was referring to had this buzzphrase "you make it you own it." Every time I tried to narrow down with an interviewer or the recruiter WTF an actual day on the job would look like they danced around with buzzwords and used this phrase non-stop. This shit is beyond annoying. Everyone /r/cscareerquestions seems pretty upset with how tech hiring is being done now, so I don't feel as bad that it's isolated.

TJT TJT happen to have a link to the vid, if it's public?

Yeah I'll find it today. Pretty sure I found i on Linkedin Learning. So it might not be public but will try to find it.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'll find it today. Pretty sure I found i on Linkedin Learning. So it might not be public but will try to find it.
Thanks! Even if you can find the name of it I'll sign up for linked in learning.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Thanks! Even if you can find the name of it I'll sign up for linked in learning.

It was the Business Intelligence Analyst Course on Udemy. The first part of it goes over all the buzzwords for BI jobs and then explains in detail how they all overlap and what they are and aren't. Especially hilarious because the actual unique qualities of those jobs are essentially nonexistent.

Last edited:
  • 1Like