Job Hunting

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is that a lot? I have no idea. Our company's trajectory and growth has been extremely positive. Worth more than Salesforce was at this same point in time. Hoping we go public in the next year. That could potentially be a really high payday for me.
I thought it was. My current employer is close to 40 and we're just getting over 100 employees. Maybe being in a big city helps.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Reckless growth hopefully means a dope IPO!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Why are integration consultants now called software engineers? Putting lipstick on a pig job doesn't make it not a pig job.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
i would school the lot of you in ping pong.

Don't you mean jai alai?

Foler Foler Yeah I noticed that too. QA moved from being QA to being Quality Engineers to being Integration Engineers... In my experience QA seems to be mostly the manual functional types. But QE/IE has a wide range of technical skill or not lol.

The most annoying thing about the QA field is that there is absolutely no consistency between any two QAs. You find a half dozen CS majors and you know all of them can at least code somewhat. Albeit the range can be wide on how skilled any of them are. In QA you have dumbasses, varying technical people, people who could easily be developers or architects or anything else and you wonder how the fuck they ended up in QA.

Luckily the reliance on SoapUI/Selenium and such is moving QA to a more technically oriented field and the line will be blurred a bit between developers and QA again. Even if they can only develop Selenium automation. I kind of dislike the Gherkin framework because it again forces you to have dudes who code your selenium then you make the QA's write their shit in Gherkin but be dependent on the underlying selenium code that they will likely not understand.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Don't you mean jai alai?

Foler Foler Yeah I noticed that too. QA moved from being QA to being Quality Engineers to being Integration Engineers... In my experience QA seems to be mostly the manual functional types. But QE/IE has a wide range of technical skill or not lol.

The most annoying thing about the QA field is that there is absolutely no consistency between any two QAs. You find a half dozen CS majors and you know all of them can at least code somewhat. Albeit the range can be wide on how skilled any of them are. In QA you have dumbasses, varying technical people, people who could easily be developers or architects or anything else and you wonder how the fuck they ended up in QA.

Luckily the reliance on SoapUI/Selenium and such is moving QA to a more technically oriented field and the line will be blurred a bit between developers and QA again. Even if they can only develop Selenium automation. I kind of dislike the Gherkin framework because it again forces you to have dudes who code your selenium then you make the QA's write their shit in Gherkin but be dependent on the underlying selenium code that they will likely not understand.
Someone's gotta do this shit job.

As a QA manager, I'm making 100k a year in Ithaca, getting consistent 6% raise and bonus each year while working ~45/week. Maybe I lucked out, but I do a fair amount of programming each week, certainly more than our product architect does. I have had worries about this position basically being the endpoint for my career advancement, but with the aforementioned raises, maybe that's ok. Now the company just has to stay in business and never change until I retire...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

As a QA manager, I'm making 100k a year in Ithaca, getting consistent 6% raise and bonus each year while working ~45/week. Maybe I lucked out, but I do a fair amount of programming each week, certainly more than our product architect does. I have had worries about this position basically being the endpoint for my career advancement, but with the aforementioned raises, maybe that's ok. Now the company just has to stay in business and never change until I retire...

Make no mistake. I am not shitting on QA, my first job was on a QA team where I ended up being the automation guy because I really disliked just doing functional stuff. The real sharp QA guys are solid gold and can find all kinds of issues devs missed AND provide solutions. But I did get irritated at GM where you'd run into the QA teams full of complete retards who had to be walked through anything even remotely technical and other QA teams where they torqued out automation, developed tools, fixed DB issues, UI issues, network issues, you name it and all kinds of stuff. Completely night and day that that was just my experience at GM.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I've worked with QA engineers that were incredibly smart and made some really awesome tools. At my last job though QA had a horrible reputation because they'd basically run some HPQC scripts and email out a report with "findings." When a dev would challenge one or ask questions, they'd basically just shrug and say they didn't know. They also had constant problems with HPQC and would call upon us systems dudes to fix it over and over again. I got to wondering what it was they actually did in between the time they kicked off a script and attached the report to an email.

I feel the pain though. I'm in a field with a high ceiling and a steep bottom as well. A system engineer at one place can be the guy who installs windows and tells you to reboot 3x or a guy who builds and integrates entire systems (of systems) from scratch at another.

• 2Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The number of titles for more or less the same job is so dumb. This is especially true in the tech world. You end up getting people with very different skillsets, experience, backgrounds - all vying for the same position. When I was interviewing about a year ago I was applying and qualified for Sales Engineer, Solutions Architect, and Solutions Consultant roles. The difference these is so minor. They are all generally presales technical roles.

• 1Truth!

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

I don't doubt the money at all. I'm just earlish in my career and don't want to pidgeon hole.

Had an interview today. Office had full kitchen buffet, unlimited snacks, scooters, gym, massage therapist, laundry, hairdresser etc.

Fucking silicone valley is nuts man.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't doubt the money at all. I'm just earlish in my career and don't want to pidgeon hole.

Had an interview today. Office had full kitchen buffet, unlimited snacks, scooters, gym, massage therapist, laundry, hairdresser etc.

Fucking silicone valley is nuts man.
They gotta find something to make you look past the ridiculous cost of living. Also, don't leave the office.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I've worked with QA engineers that were incredibly smart and made some really awesome tools. At my last job though QA had a horrible reputation because they'd basically run some HPQC scripts and email out a report with "findings." When a dev would challenge one or ask questions, they'd basically just shrug and say they didn't know. They also had constant problems with HPQC and would call upon us systems dudes to fix it over and over again. I got to wondering what it was they actually did in between the time they kicked off a script and attached the report to an email.

I feel the pain though. I'm in a field with a high ceiling and a steep bottom as well. A system engineer at one place can be the guy who installs windows and tells you to reboot 3x or a guy who builds and integrates entire systems (of systems) from scratch at another.
Exactly. Systems is fine but it can mean so many things now and some employers abuse this to try to get talent that's overqualified or wouldn't do the job.

One thing I've learned is that if the job req is ambiguous and the recruiter can't really tell you about what they're doing past shooting some buzzwords like"machine learning, robotics" etc, then job isn't what it seems.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
They gotta find something to make you look past the ridiculous cost of living. Also, don't leave the office.

The absurd salaries help look past the cost of living too. Although I've almost completely given up on buying a house here. Work-life balance is pretty good. I only started working more because the more deals I close, the more money I make. Money is a big motivator for me.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve finally started seriously looking for a job as my current company had our majority owners pull all the equity out and cripple us in terms of cash flow. I haven’t seen a raise in years, partly because a significant part of my income was disbursements to stockholders and yearly bonuses, and also because I’ve never been much of a negotiator without some leverage. I should have started looking 5 years ago, but yeah, can’t go back.

My problem is the last 25 years has been working in an industry I have zero interest in staying in. LinkedIn jobs and Indeed apps pop up listings that have zero appeal, probably because of my experience.

I’ve worked on updating my skills and highlighting my analytical/data processing and reporting background and downplaying the manufacturing/management roles, but was wondering if there were other tools out there I’m overlooking for job searching.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There's no shame in reaching out to recruiting agencies in the field you want to work. They want to find you a job and will go to disgusting means to get it

• 1Like