Job Hunting

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
So on this, I can only speak for sales engineers at my company. But they only handle the technical portion. But depending on the customer that can be a really tall order. Our product is extremely not user friendly even if you're an experienced developer. If you have some bizarre use case you'll need to figure it out on your own as an SE without any help a lot of the time.

But when it comes to office titles I think its really out of control. We have shit like this but its not in order. There are Sales Engineer III who are senior to Senior Sales Enginneer II... I don't get how it works lol.
  • Sales Engineer
    • Sales Engineer I
    • Sales Engineer II
    • Sales Engineer III
    • Senior Sales Engineer
    • Senior Sales Engineer II

I'm a presales tech dude. We call them Solutions Consultants, but I've been a Sales Engineer in the past. Same shit really. I love it. I've thought about moving to the sales side because the money is a lot better, but the pressure and risk is also a lot higher. It's far more strategic and high level than just getting in the tech weeds all the time. But I work for what is more or less an AI company designed to deal with social media, public data, and asynchronous messaging where I rarely have to get into the weeds unless we're talking to AI engineers - and we have like five total clients who even have those positions.

And I deal with MEDDPICC all the time. Some of the first info you try to gather when navigating a sales opportunity. It's just a framework for all the most important questions when selling in the enterprise space - who signs the contract, what's the paper/legal process, what are the success metrics, etc.

Agreed on the versatility of SFDC. Almost every fucking business uses it anymore. Our entire business relies on it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
No response from SailPoint so I guess I didn't get it. Oh well!

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My new employer just passed the poop test after just two months. I'm relaxed enough at work that I can poop. A few years ago I never pooped once at work in half a year. Quitting was inevitable at that point.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
My new employer just passed the poop test after just two months. I'm relaxed enough at work that I can poop. A few years ago I never pooped once at work in half a year. Quitting was inevitable at that point.

wut

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

My grandpa always said to poop on someone else's time.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
OK - weird question here:
I've been at the same place for 15 years. It's a pretty large, national firm. The main problem I have seen over the past decade is just about everyone in upper management understands nothing about people and their primary concern is making money. However, these "suits" turn over like autumn leaves. But, the location for me is great, they pay me really well, I don't get frustrated by upper level politics and I do my job well.

Recently a ton of people left because the company fired people and downsized during COVID. Not saying that was morally correct or not (the company definitely has bucks and really didn't need to fire anyone). But that's the American way-- make as much as possible...

So now there is a funk at work lately-- people are circulating articles like "When Good Employees Work for Bad Companies" and shit like that. Meanwhile, my division did not get cut at all. In fact, I just hired 2 people... My response to the people on the fence was to relax and chill out and do your job and do it well. We were "essential" employees during all this. Another negative thing I've noticed is realted to our being "essential." There should have been an extra bonus or reward for staying and doing your job... I don't agree with this at face value. But, in fact, we will make MORE this year because of the trimming that occurred.

I don't know-- I'm babbling: here's my question for those who may be in a similar situation: you have a good division with good people and a good workplace but work for a greedy, short-sighted, arrogant over-arching organization. But, you're doing great. Should I (or you) care?

PS- pretty sure I could get another job making as much in 24 hours if I had too... but I don't want to move or have to rebuild 15 years of my group.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
here's my question for those who may be in a similar situation: you have a good division with good people and a good workplace but work for a greedy, short-sighted, arrogant over-arching organization. But, you're doing great. Should I (or you) care?

This is more of a personal ethics question. Personally, it would probably bother about the same amount if I was in your situation. Sure, it slightly bothers me, but everything else makes it worth staying put. However, if the company itself is going down as a result I would leave. But that's because I work in sales and if the company is failing that means I'm not making money. Failing companies are also just depressing to work for.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Well, I have a phone interview Friday doing similar work to what I do now. It’s manufacturing but a completely different industry and much larger company. We’ll see how it goes - hard to believe it will be the first time I have interviewed for a job in 23 years.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
This is more of a personal ethics question. Personally, it would probably bother about the same amount if I was in your situation. Sure, it slightly bothers me, but everything else makes it worth staying put. However, if the company itself is going down as a result I would leave. But that's because I work in sales and if the company is failing that means I'm not making money. Failing companies are also just depressing to work for.

Nope- our parent group is not going under-- in fact, doing so well that a lot of their employees are upset that they don't "share the wealth." But that's not a requirement. But they certainly could be more "google-esque." But they're not. They like keeping most profits at the top.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've never had a job that had that level of stress.

Fuck that lol.