JRPGs

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Meh, fuck dual audio. 99.9% of 'no JP no buy' posts on Steam are from weeaboo faggots who actually understand about a dozen words of Japanese. People need to stop acting like games and anime are the same when it comes to dubs vs. subs. Games almost never have lip sync/mouth flap issues and anime almost never has the problem where a sizeable portion of the speech isn't actually translated (see: every JRPG where characters shout stuff during battle). For people who really want it, there was an undub of Cold Steel PC released within a day or two of the game on Steam. I think people are delusional if they expect Falcom+NISA to cough up the licensing fees for JP audio if Falcom+Xseed couldn't justify it. NISA isn't that big, and Trails is still a pretty niche series.
US dubs use bottom tier voice actors, mostly the same shitty ones that do anime.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
One of the greatest mysteries of our lives.

I mean, the final, -True- ending is kind of cool... but doing the Time Warp dance over and over gets.... tiresome. Best way to put it~

I -highly- recommend just dropping on No Encounter mode to get through that part. Especially if you've leveled enough. Otherwise, load up the Braves and hit the outside of Florem with max encounter on. Spend 20 minutes doing that and then turn off encounters for the rest of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Then you get to the "fun" stuff and see some progression.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
The concept and story was cool around the time travel stuff in Bravely Default, but it dragged too long. I didn't mind it as much as some people did because the reveal was a huge plus for me so it made the slog worth it.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Lost Sphear is a solid 7/10 game. Decent story, decent soundtrack, decent everything.

Price was a bit steep for a 7/10 game though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm 99 with a ton of maxed jobs. I spent some time while my kid was sick just grinding. I have encounters off but I turn it on in areas for my vampires

Needless

Toe Sucker
is it worth a whole 35 canadian toonies though?
70 ENTIRE LOONIES?

I'll most likely get it tonight, despite setsuna being pretty bland i still enjoyed playing it on the switch. (couldn't get into it on the PC at all originally)

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Briefly scanned this thread and nostalgia deja vu ensued. I bought so many jrpg's as a kid and still own them. Almost the entire tales of series, all ff's, star ocean, etc, etc.

Why does it seem like they don't release as many games like these anymore these days?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Briefly scanned this thread and nostalgia deja vu ensued. I bought so many jrpg's as a kid and still own them. Almost the entire tales of series, all ff's, star ocean, etc, etc.

Why does it seem like they don't release as many games like these anymore these days?
Hmm they kinda do? I mean Tales at least has been pretty consistent over the years, they still do FFs but lately they've been doing like sequels and shit so it lenghten the time between 2 actual titles(and with the 7 remake coming, don't expect XVI before 2022 if that, probably a PS5 title at this point), Persona and Star Ocean are slow but are still doing the 1 title per generation thing(Persona 5 was a lot better than Star Ocean Integrity and Faithlessness though). There's also some pretty decent not too mainstream series like Atelier and Trails

Then you have a ton of less known titles and shit, although a lot is pretty much garbage, but that was the case back in the days too there was a lot of garbage(maybe less, but arguably less games overall). There's even "western jrpgs", if you're ok with that as a category, where it's basically jrpg but not actually made by japanese(I hear Cosmic Star Heroine is very good).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm on chapter 8 in bravely default and as I know this is the final chapter before the end. I can't even imagine how the fuck they thought this was what they should do with the game. I mean it's 4 chapters of the exact. Same. Fucking. Thing.

It's a shame because 1-4 had this poised to be one of my favorite jrpgs.

Is bravely second better?

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I really liked Bravely Second, but there was a lot of reused assets so people did have problems with it. It didn't have the time loop thing though.

It was balanced better imo.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I picked up and I really like it. It feels like Legend of Dragoon and is pretty compelling.

nicksw

Molten Core Raider
There is a sale on jrpgs on GOG for the next 6 days. I recently started playing my first jrpg: Tales of Berseria and I like it so far. Anything from that list that I should buy? I was thinking of picking up The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've honestly yet to play the Trails series. I hear they're best in class for worldbuilding, but there's a sizeable reddit contingent that thinks it's terribly overrated. I tend to prefer jrpg's that prioritize or at least value robust combat and crafting options - games like FF12, the better Star Ocean games, etc - so I'm not sure it's for me. Although I guess there are exceptions, as Persona is probably my favorite jrpg series.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
There is a sale on jrpgs on GOG for the next 6 days. I recently started playing my first jrpg: Tales of Berseria and I like it so far. Anything from that list that I should buy? I was thinking of picking up The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

Trails in the sky trilogy had me buying the japanese version or chinese version of Trails Ao and Zero and playing them with fan patches/a freaking spreadsheet if that helps tell you how good I thought it was. Still haven't got in to cold steel yet just because I needed a break from 60+ hour non completionist play throughs with amazing world building.

edit: To be fair the combat isn't what I would have exactly called deep and it can be easily cheesed especially in Sky (hello earthwall/ClockupEx combos) but it wasn't bad or bare bones. You really had a ton of options, just some were clearly superior to the rest by a vast margin.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Trails series is far and away my favourite game series of all time. The world building, character development and overall plot is out of this world.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So far I've only played the first Trails in the Sky since I bought it a while ago and it had been sitting in my backlog forever, I'm waiting for another 50% sale on second chapter(I sadly started playing the first like days after the last sale ended) and pickup the last chapter in a few months when it's on a better sale. Combat was definitely not the strongest point, it wasn't bad but it wasn't particularily interesting either as skills were fairly imbalanced and some boss fights were kinda bullshit(the one with the mobs spamming delay aoe moves that also do a billion damage was pretty retarded, had to replay it like 7times so they didn't just spam me to death). Story and characters were pretty standard stuff, but it's well executed and the cliffhanger ending thing leading to the next chapter was a nice touch. Probably wouldn't have played second chapter right after though, game was still pretty long so I would have taken a break playing something else.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Beat bravely default. Definitely mixed feeling. Chapter 1-4 and the end were fantastic. 5-8 was horse shit.

I found airy harder than ouroboros but one shot both. Decent rpg that I'll never play again.