JRPGs

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
Cold Steel II is coming out on PC on the 14th of February.

Can't wait to play this again on the PC.

I really need to finish the first Trails of Heroes; all I ever here is full praise

Fuck, I have too much on my backlog and not nearly enough time to actually play anything

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
So I grabbed a couple JRPG's maybe someone can convince me to actually lay them.

I Got Persona 5 and i'm near the end of the first castle, Gotta say I'm not in love with the combat system so far. I feel like FF X ( I just played the remaster a year ago) still has the best Jrpg traditional turn based combat system I have ever seen. Can someone give me a bit of motivation, tell me it gets better ect..? I spent 30 bucks on this game I really wanna actually finish it.

Other game I got is Dragon's Dogma, I don't know much about this but I plan to start in the next day or two. Even watching a video r two I feel like I don't really understand the combat too well.. Maybe i'll ffinish the surge first before moving on to this.

Is there anything in particular you aren't digging with P5's combat? It's essentially all about exploiting weaknesses and taking it from there. Later in the game buffs and debuffs become much more important, but weaknesses are the name of the game throughout the entirety. If you don't enjoy that aspect and the catching and fusing of Personas, it may just not be your thing.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
In the first castle you have basically none of the good persona combat abilities unlocked. The combat gets much more interesting as you progress.

I couldn't finish the game though. I thought the combat was excellent but the rest of the game is a slog and you spend much more time in the "rest" of the game than you do in combat situations.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is there anything in particular you aren't digging with P5's combat? It's essentially all about exploiting weaknesses and taking it from there. Later in the game buffs and debuffs become much more important, but weaknesses are the name of the game throughout the entirety. If you don't enjoy that aspect and the catching and fusing of Personas, it may just not be your thing.

It's just that the Exploiting weakness if all there is too the combat so far. Basically i go into a castle and except for some really weak mobs i find myself just using weakness abilities to end the fight within a few seconds. It's just not very fun atm.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There are a lot of boss fights that are much more complicated than that. The combat is good.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
You also can't necessarily figure out weaknesses quickly. Early on, since you have like 2elements and guns, if the monster is meant to be hit by a weakness, it's easy to check which. Later when you have Fire/Ice/Lightning/Wind/Psy/Nuke/Gun/Curse/Bless to check for, it can take a while especially since you don't keep fighting the same mobs throughout the dungeon and every companion is "attuned" to only one element. On top of that you have to ration your sp useage a fair bit especially if you're not exploiting the money thing to buy regen items constantly and stuff. Meanwhile, you can get comboed by the enemy using your own weaknesses, and depending on the dungeon it can be worth swapping chars who have weaknesses to a common enemy and so on.

And boss fights are pretty nice, especially since most of them don't have any weaknesses so it becomes a more typical rpg. But yeah otherwise trash fights are quick if you know the weaknesses and especially once you can pop aoes and not care about sp since you generally will kill them before they move as long as you get ambush fights.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
P5 vies with BotW for my favorite game of 2017 and is a GoAT candidate for me, but if you're like me and go crazy with fusions (as in, level 99 Jack Frost with endgame ice abilities and amps, for example) you'll find you're autoing every trash fight once you're past palace 5, and every palace except 5 on ng+.

The battle system is perfectly competent and among the best turn-based systems around, but you really should be playing Persona for story and pokedex addiction. If that doesn't sound fun, I doubt the game is for you.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
If you're talking proper chronological order:

Trails in the Sky
Trails in the Sky SC
Trails in the Sky 3rd
Zero no Kiseki (not in english) = Trails of Cold Steel
Ao no Kiseki (not in english) = Trails of Cold Steel II
Trails of Cold Steel III (not in english).

So basically, you'll want to complete the sky trilogy followed by the cold steel duology. You won't miss much not playing the Japanese only titles, but if they were in English you could play them before or after cold steel as they take part at roughly the same time period.

Though that is the chronological order, it's fine to start with Cold Steel if you have it, but you will be missing out on slight references (it's set in a different country) and obviously some of the flavour text will spoil the story from Trails in the Sky FC and SC. (3rd is kind of it's own thing).

I am on the Trails in the Sky 3rd atm. Sadly not much time to play it. Sooooooo love the series though, everything about it is so awesome.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I am on the Trails in the Sky 3rd atm. Sadly not much time to play it. Sooooooo love the series though, everything about it is so awesome.

I really liked 3rd, it was fun to make OP combos with some of the amazing characters you got.

Kevin is a good character too, so it was nice to get some backstory on him and the church in general.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I really liked 3rd, it was fun to make OP combos with some of the amazing characters you got.

Kevin is a good character too, so it was nice to get some backstory on him and the church in general.

Yes, I'm actually playing it now!

I love the music, but its falcom so you know its gonna be good. They are the only game maker that could make a piece of shit game a work of art with a beautiful soundtrack.

Fav track so far (I've just started the 3rd though, beat FC/SC but took a break before 3rd)

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Oh jesus, I just had to record this (xsplit fucked up my video but thankfully it worked at the important part). Some of the nicest work I've seen yet from falcom.

Am definitely loving the game so far!

• 1Like

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
Listening to that music and watching that battle scene is a poor choice when I know I have schoolwork out the ass.

Really excited to get in to the Trails series

nicksw

Molten Core Raider
There is a weekend Bandai Namco promo on Steam and you can get Tales of Berseria for 66% off

This was my frist jrpg that I played and was not dissapointed. The combat got boring since I played Velvet exclusively but stayed for the story. The game was mentioned many times in this thread, anyway check it out!.
Don't know if the price is the lowest it was, I think I paid more when I bought it at Christmas.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's been lower but I think due to a pricing error possibly because it was only on sale for a few hours(could be a very fast flash sale I guess too). Otherwise it's about as low as it got, there's been like 1euro less sale and with currency conversion you can get it now for less from Gamesplanet.uk(like one euro less or so too). I'm still waiting a bit to see if it drops further in future sales on the various places that usually cut more than Steam but a good deal otherwise.

There's also another Steam sale coming on Feb 15th.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Yeah i recommend switching characters at least a couple times in Berseria. When i played through and i tried someone else out, i was totally lost because the mechanics are completely different. I think the game really shouldve had segments were you were forced to use a couple different mains, while also easing you into their mechanics with a few tutorial battles. Great game though.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Velvet, Eizen and Eleanor are the characters I mainly used in battle and switched between, they were all fun imo. You could build massive combos as Eleanor and I really liked her special ability, which probably made her my favourite to play.

Magilou was ok too, but I don't really like playing mages in Tales games.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah i recommend switching characters at least a couple times in Berseria. When i played through and i tried someone else out, i was totally lost because the mechanics are completely different. I think the game really shouldve had segments were you were forced to use a couple different mains, while also easing you into their mechanics with a few tutorial battles. Great game though.
I think that's how it is in every Tales though? Maybe not Zestiria since it had this weird fusion thing I didn't play that one, but otherwise they kinda let you use the main character the entire time if you want, and rarely if ever switch you. Like even in Xillia which had 2 main characters, you only played the one you picked if you didn't change it yourself. I think it's really something they leave up to the players, some people only like to play as the "hero" and so they can do that without having to learn the combat on other characters, a lot of which play way differently which would be annoying for not so great players and stuff.

I kinda like it, but I definitely switch chars every now and then in these games.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anybody else planning on grabbing the Radiant Historia remake next week? It'll probably be the final 3DS game purchase for me.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yep, been waiting for it since the day they announced it.

Definitely won't be my last 3DS game though; Atlus still has The Alliance Alive, Strange Journey Redux, and another Etrian Odyssey (sadly, not EO3U).

• 1Like