JRPGs

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I may be in the minority but I hated Chrono Cross. It didn't feel like a true sequel to CT at all, and the decision go with parallel universes instead of time travel made it more convoluted and less interesting. Characters were way less memorable than CT's, tropical theme was meh, and the story was just a series of 'shocking' revelations that made it more complex simply for the sake of it. To me that's lazy writing.
That was most Chrono Trigger fans' reaction to the game back in '99. Criticism of it now seems much less harsh; dunno if it's nostalgia, people who never played CT, newer JRPGs making it look not so bad after all, or what.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Taking a detour from jrpgs to srpgs... New tactics ogre remake looks good!

I have been also playing this one and it is a little janky but the squad/army building is really good. It is like a cross between Ogre Battle and Fire Emblem. I could see some decent replayability in it too due to the RNG on unique mercenaries and artifacts that show up in between missions.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Taking a detour from jrpgs to srpgs... New tactics ogre remake looks good!

I have been also playing this one and it is a little janky but the squad/army building is really good. It is like a cross between Ogre Battle and Fire Emblem. I could see some decent replayability in it too due to the RNG on unique mercenaries and artifacts that show up in between missions.

So let us cling together but fixing all the dumb from the last port? I am in.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That was most Chrono Trigger fans' reaction to the game back in '99. Criticism of it now seems much less harsh; dunno if it's nostalgia, people who never played CT, newer JRPGs making it look not so bad after all, or what.

This was a discussion earlier in the thread I think... Chrono Cross is definitely a bit divisive. For me, the soundtrack basically carried the game. I still think it has the best soundtrack in videogame history. There was some really cool lategame stuff that was tied to CT (Chronopolis, the Leene's Bell sunset scene). Dead Sea was one of the most memorable and chilling places I've ever seen.

Unfortunately everything leading up to it was just kind of...generic, and had very little to do with CT if anything at all. But damn, that soundtrack sure kept it moving.

So let us cling together but fixing all the dumb from the last port? I am in.

Between this, Saga Frontier 2, and Live A Live (which I still need to get to) this Fall is gonna be sick for RPG remasters.

I'm starting to wonder what happened with that Dragon Quest 3 remaster though. ...and why they started with 3, if they're presumably going to be remastering a bunch of DQs. I guess 3 does make sense since it was the first one chronologically of that trilogy.

DQ12 seems to be in the same Schroedinger's Game nether-realm as Metroid Prime 4 and Elder Scrolls 6.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

joz123

Potato del Grande
I never thought of it as a sequel, just a game in the CT universe. I loved the music and the battle system was unique at the time but having like 45 playable characters was dumb.

• 1Like

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Saga Frontier 2 is a hidden gem if you enjoy the combat of the series, it's better than the first game in that respect. The story is so-so but the watercolor art and combat carry it. Some of the bosses are extremely difficult, you have to grind and unlock some of the powerful combination arts to win.

• 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I just want a remastered xenosaga at this point.

It's too bad they decided it wouldn't be profitable.

I'm about 50 hours into Xenoblade chronicles 2 now and this game has just been getting better and better over the past 20 hours.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Tactics Ogre was one of my all time favorite games even to this day, loved mvp exp bonus to try and funnel into someone and make stronger! Such a great game on so many levels and epic feeling to it. I haven't bought a console game for my self for 4-5 years I don't think (outside of D6 for the family switch) but i'll be picking this up 100%.

Ogre Battle was amazing for the time as well, I used to get so mad because I loved to build my power house units but then couldn't get their class progressions I wanted because they went chaotic because they killed to much or shit. I bought the strategy guild back when it came out (SNES days?) and even with that could easily mess up endings and class plans. Stellar game!

Molten Core Raider
View attachment 426213
Buddy sent me this Japanese copy of Chrono Cross...pretty sick.

Not gonna actually play it, but outta curiosity, anyone know if a Japanese PS1 game will work on a US PS1? What about running it on a PS2 or PS3? Mine are mothballed in storage somewhere.

I haven't gotten the CC remaster yet because I heard it's a pretty low-effort port, but I definitely have the game on the brain.
As mentioned, modding a PS1 for Japanese games is by far the easiest way, but depending on how old your console is, you used to be able to do a disc swap trick to load non-US games (PS1's from the early initial console runs were able to do this but it was fixed after a year or so).

I can't recall the exact steps as it's been literally decades, but essentially you'd tape down the button to make the console think the lid was closed, load up a US game and after the boot phase and the disc stopped spinning, you could swap the US game with the import game and it would load and play. It was a huge pain in the ass, but worked until I was able to get my system modded. I was huge into import games back in the mid 90s and still have a huge box full, never got Chrono Cross though.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I just want a remastered xenosaga at this point.

It's too bad they decided it wouldn't be profitable.

I'm about 50 hours into Xenoblade chronicles 2 now and this game has just been getting better and better over the past 20 hours.

I'd like a remastered Xenosaga Trilogy, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Final Fantasy 13 Trilogy, and Dark Souls Trilogy. Like 3 in 1 sets. At the very least it looks like we're getting Metroid Prime remasters one at a time, which hopefully means much higher-effort than a 3 in 1 set. I'd love to see Bloodborne get the full-on Demon Souls Remake super-remaster too.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I'd like a remastered Xenosaga Trilogy, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Final Fantasy 13 Trilogy, and Dark Souls Trilogy. Like 3 in 1 sets. At the very least it looks like we're getting Metroid Prime remasters one at a time, which hopefully means much higher-effort than a 3 in 1 set. I'd love to see Bloodborne get the full-on Demon Souls Remake super-remaster too.

FF13 is already on PC though and looks and runs about as good as most new games, especially with mods. Doubt that will be a thing to ever happen. Personally I didn't like those games very much, never finished any of them.

I am fairly 100% sure there will be a Bloodborne PC remaster. It'll most likely be one of two things. A BluePoint remake of the original for PS5 or a simpler remaster PS5/PC with 60fps and a BloodBorne 2 PS5 exclusive. Sony owns that so a full scale remake or a sequel is doubtful to arrive on PC until much later.

I wouldn't mind a Bloodborne remake from BluePoint, but would rather have new games than the constant remakes of old games.

I want them to make the first (first) place in this contest into a game. 21 minutes in.

As to keeping with the theme of the thread. I am now about 40 hours into Xenoblade 3. I really like 2 more than 3 at this point, and I sadly didn't read up on the exp thing until it was too late. I was around level 30 when main story was at around 17. Now main story is 27-30ish and I am 43. I have to go way off the beaten path to find mobs to grind that are not grey to level up new classes and that levels me up even more. I don't bother to look at gems or accessories. Skills don't matter. Inventory is a mess of items.

Nothing else to play now, but it won't take much to make me put this down. Maybe it gets better? Anyone else beyond chapter 4?

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
As to keeping with the theme of the thread. I am now about 40 hours into Xenoblade 3. I really like 2 more than 3 at this point, and I sadly didn't read up on the exp thing until it was too late. I was around level 30 when main story was at around 17. Now main story is 27-30ish and I am 43. I have to go way off the beaten path to find mobs to grind that are not grey to level up new classes and that levels me up even more. I don't bother to look at gems or accessories. Skills don't matter. Inventory is a mess of items.

Nothing else to play now, but it won't take much to make me put this down. Maybe it gets better? Anyone else beyond chapter 4?
I've done my best to stay only +10 over story and have gotten to Chapter 6. You still get some CP rewards below your level so it's only the initial unlock that has the hard cap. Chapter 5 has a selection of 40-70 enemies with plenty of uniques in the 50+ range if you need a big unlock boost. Accessory menu definitely needs to be improved but you can definitely stack damage with the right choices + gems.

Story-wise chapter 5 definitely has an uptick but I agree with you that parts of 2 are done better. Nopon coins vs collectables is an odd mechanic and I wonder how much the pandemic cut into production so systems did not get fully fleshed out. There's a billion things to collect with limited purposes and no money value.

edit: 3/4 hero classes are directly lined up in Chapter 6 maybe even the 4th, with the warning level upgraded mechs in the chapter 5 area jumped to 66-67 which help to quickly unlock and go back to other things. One of them includes a free rank up to 20 on a base class so you won't run out of things to level. I'm over 400k in bonus exp i haven't used and don't think I want to.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Saga Frontier 2 is a hidden gem if you enjoy the combat of the series, it's better than the first game in that respect. The story is so-so but the watercolor art and combat carry it. Some of the bosses are extremely difficult, you have to grind and unlock some of the powerful combination arts to win.

Yeah, I can't wait for Saga Frontier 2 to drop. That was one of the last 3 PS1 games I wanted to play and didn't get to back in the day. The others are Breath of Fire 4 (finally finished it a few months ago) and Parasite Eve 2 (have it downloaded on PS3, the controls are so rough now so I don't know). Out of those 3, SF2 was definitely my most-wanted.

Funny BOF coincidence, the last US SNES game that I want to play and haven't yet is Breath of Fire 2. Factor in Super Famicom and I still have to check out Star Ocean, Rudra no Hihou, Treasure Hunter G, and Bahamut Lagoon. If SO is good I'll add SO2 to my PS1 category. Some day I'll be totally done with these two systems (my favorite systems and probably the ones I've spent the most time on).

Last edited:

turbo

Molten Core Raider
BoF2 was one of the better SNES games as far as my memory goes, not in the same discussion as some of the all time favorites but was a hell of good game from start to finish. BoF3 was kinda meh.

Man i'm struggling to find a good game that lets me feel like my party and character customization choices matter as well as having some fun gearing options vs just the +1 bullshit.

Played and beat Symphany of War or whatever and for a basement lvl development group, I admit it was pretty fun.

Finally settled on Stranger of Sword City Revisited, owned the original version and lost a game due to a bug and never played again. So trying that for now....if anyone has a good recommondation feel free...

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
BoF2 was really fun - had more customization (the shamans) than the other earlier entries. I'll disagree on BoF3 - it's probably my favorite of the series. Really cool characters and the storyline was fun, and while combat is relatively slow in all the games, it's more interesting imo than the other three. I don't know if I even consider BoF5: Dragon Quarter part of the real series because it's such a massive departure from how the others work as traditional JRPGs, and 4's new take on the dragons always made me go "meh." Also, the color palette in 4 made everything look... washed out.

That's a series I wouldn't mind Capcom to revisit, if they were of a mind to.

SaGa Frontier is one of the strangest games I've played narratively. I want to say it released around the same time as Xenogears here in the US (97/98?) and at the time I didn't know it was the crazy non-linear jumble that it was. I think I played the bard guy and ran around doing stuff and it seemed like events would just happen completely at random. Eventually got bored (I was like 16/17 at the time) and put it down. Picked it up a few years later and played completely through 3 of the storylines (Blue, Rose, and the mech's name that I can't remember) and thought it was a lot better than initially. I picked it up on Steam somewhat recently to give it another go; open world games are definitely more my jam these days than back when I was a teenager for sure.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wish there was an easy way to get hold of some of the old PS JRPGs like Alundra, The Legend of Dragoon, Parasite Eve II.

I would also sacrifice a small child to get my hands on a working version of Vandal Hearts.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I wish there was an easy way to get hold of some of the old PS JRPGs like Alundra, The Legend of Dragoon, Parasite Eve II.

I would also sacrifice a small child to get my hands on a working version of Vandal Hearts.
I have a PSP that I hacked and can put PSX games on my mem stick pro. It's a bitch to do and the mem card alone cost like 80 bucks.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
BoF2 was one of the better SNES games as far as my memory goes, not in the same discussion as some of the all time favorites but was a hell of good game from start to finish. BoF3 was kinda meh.

Man i'm struggling to find a good game that lets me feel like my party and character customization choices matter as well as having some fun gearing options vs just the +1 bullshit.

Played and beat Symphany of War or whatever and for a basement lvl development group, I admit it was pretty fun.

Finally settled on Stranger of Sword City Revisited, owned the original version and lost a game due to a bug and never played again. So trying that for now....if anyone has a good recommondation feel free...

Try the FF6: Brave New World romhack. It's FF6...with some interesting character customization options (the Esper level up bonuses are now a big deal and basically spec your character in certain ways). A lot of the bosses are rebalanced to actually be a challenge under this new system. Also every character is more unique now, with wildly differing stats, and a few of the special moves have been significantly altered for the better (like Cyan's Bushido).

If you get a modded Playstation Classic (or buy a new one and do it yourself) you can play all that. It's easy, but I don't really know how it works. Friend sent me a USB drive with all the ROMs / emulator install program on it, I plugged that into the PSC via a weird cord, and boom, now it has like 100 games (mostly RPGs). I've hardly played it since though. It can be a little iffy (sometimes it just doesn't want to work) but for the most part it's pretty incredible.

The only PS1 game I found to not work...was Parasite Eve 2, which has anti-piracy code and freezes up. Which sucks because it was one of the very few games on there that I wanted to play. So I bought that one on PS3 for like $6. The tank controls did me in after an hour though.

For the PSC mod you need a PSC, a USB drive (64 GB I think but can probably get away with a smaller one if you have a limited selection of games), and this weird split-cord that lets you plug a USB drive into the PS1's power cable. I can post a picture of how it looks if you want. Altogether I think all of this probably runs about $100 which is peanuts for what you're getting. I was lucky enough to get the PSC from a store for $20 and have someone send me the other stuff at cost.

BoF2 was really fun - had more customization (the shamans) than the other earlier entries. I'll disagree on BoF3 - it's probably my favorite of the series. Really cool characters and the storyline was fun, and while combat is relatively slow in all the games, it's more interesting imo than the other three. I don't know if I even consider BoF5: Dragon Quarter part of the real series because it's such a massive departure from how the others work as traditional JRPGs, and 4's new take on the dragons always made me go "meh." Also, the color palette in 4 made everything look... washed out.

That's a series I wouldn't mind Capcom to revisit, if they were of a mind to.

SaGa Frontier is one of the strangest games I've played narratively. I want to say it released around the same time as Xenogears here in the US (97/98?) and at the time I didn't know it was the crazy non-linear jumble that it was. I think I played the bard guy and ran around doing stuff and it seemed like events would just happen completely at random. Eventually got bored (I was like 16/17 at the time) and put it down. Picked it up a few years later and played completely through 3 of the storylines (Blue, Rose, and the mech's name that I can't remember) and thought it was a lot better than initially. I picked it up on Steam somewhat recently to give it another go; open world games are definitely more my jam these days than back when I was a teenager for sure.

I know what you mean, I didn't like BOF4 mainly because of the washed-out graphics. Also the weird overhead angle made it hard to see where you were in towns. I found the whole game a bit boring, but it had good music and it was Breath of Fire so I did it.

BOF3 was good and a big part of my 1999. It doesn't make any of BOF4's mistakes...which makes BOF4 even more disappointing because it came later.

SaGa Frontier can be a great game, but you have to really get into it and building up your characters. Otherwise it really is just a bunch of randomness. Lute (bard)'s scenario is the weakest out of all of them because it doesn't even have a real storyline progression like the others. You're just turned loose to do random stuff, and it's the same random stuff everyone else has access to. The extent of the content in Lute's scenario is...the beginning, the final dungeon. That's it. In-between you're supposed to basically just power up on your own with all the random stuff. It's easily the worst scenario. Best is probably either Emilia, Red, or Blue. Though Emilia's has the hardest final boss.

The Switch version of SF makes it waaaaay less time-consuming, since stats carry over from one scenario to the next. Meaning any characters you previously leveled up will still be leveled up. I think it even lets you keep your money. In the original version, I'm pretty sure every scenario had to start from scratch, which made it like a 100-hour game that took many weeks of my life. On the Switch I think I did everything in like 22 hours.

It's cool to be talking about JRPGs again. For like five years in the mid-2010's I stopped liking them and wondered why I ever did. I think it was after I played Final Fantasy Type-0. Something about that game made me mad. You play as a bunch of teenagers who are grizzled combat veterans somehow. A couple of the characters are little girls and the game makes sure you see their panties regularly. Basically all the "Japan!" cliches I don't like. I started wondering why I ever liked RPGs from there in the first place, and basically didn't touch one for a couple years. Not sure what came over me. Eventually I got back into them with Persona 5 I think.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

its super easy, like 3-4 hours of effort, to get all those PS1 games running on a PC and/or steam deck

I have Vandal hearts 1 & 2 ROMs and all the other games you mentioned, I got them as part of 1G1R Redumps - 1 game, 1 rom you'll just need shit loads of storage space and a torrent client to download them all. They are listed on various subreddits like this one
www.reddit.com/r/Roms/comments/lrdqyq/1g1r_psp_psn_collection/

When I got my steam deck I just downloaded every ROM pack I could find and own about 5 terabytes of ROMs from the classics era, I likely will never touch 99.9% of them but its nice to have.

Thats just scratching the surface too, I simply looked for the easiest ROM collect to download/manage but there are tons of collectors who are building out custom ROM kits like "best 3DS games of all time" or whatever, I don't know if I care enough to dig too deep but its nice having all the files around so I can fuck around when I want to.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Legend of Dragoon deserves a modern remaster but I doubt we'll ever get it. BOF2 has a couple mods to make fusions less of a pain to use, I believe it had a glaring flaw in the final dungeon where a story point would forcibly unfuse your party. So if you wanted to use them for the end boss you would have to walk all the way back out, refuse, and then run back down. Couple other quirks for an otherwise excellent game.

Crossed over to Chapter 7 on XC3 but there's soooo many rank 20 quests to do if you don't want to blitz the story. Have at least 12 levels of bonus exp saved if I wanted to jump up to the 80s.