JRPGs

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thought of another fight thats a pos, but not nearly on the Wiegraff level. The vampire dude and his two bitches with high evade. Sure easy enough if you land the one shot on them, but if not they hurt.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
My first original playthrough on the PSX got bricked on the rooftop fight with the two assassins where you have to save the guy.

I had no combination of characters/classes in my party that could take any relevant actions before the two broads would kill the guy, and nothing I did would funge the RNG/AI enough to keep the NPC and the assassins from taking the same actions every try that resulted in his death.

I was pretty fucking buttmad at the sage of 17 or whatever.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Wiegraf and Elmdor on the roof are easy spots to brick on an initial play through. Those fights are little puzzles and you might just not have the right tools to negate some of what's being thrown at you. I had a very early run as a kid die a death because I leveled Ramza up 15 or 20 levels above everyone else and couldn't possibly tackle random encounters.

Depending on your objectives a lot of the game gets puzzley. Stealing all of Elmdor's Genji Armor, getting Ramza Ultima, stealing Save the Queen from Meliadoul in the story fight before she joins, etc. are all more puzzles than fights.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
It comes down to game knowledge. If you aren't looking to steal stuff in general, you don't. Especially since you get them super early, -clearly- thieves can't be incredibly powerful/useful as time goes on, as you get "better" classes.

Once you realize NPCs have rare gear on them, you go full Steal-whore on any subsequent playthrough or whatever playthrough you are on, and you don't complete missions until you steal anything that isn't obviously storebought. Then you realize that stealing shit has incredibly low outcomes, so you need to try a lot. Naturally this progresses to leveling classes that incapacitate npcs or in some way make it easier to steal their shit without breaking it. So you end up with Mustadio on every map using the shot that stops movement, or the shot that stops action. But you need to level up so you get the 100% accuracy on the shot skill, so you do that. At this point, Random battles are intensely harder than anything storywise, because in order to unlock all the tools necessary to make stealing to some degree guaranteed, you way outlevel/outgear/outskill every storyline mission (sans Weigraf in the cathedral, of course). Or you use Bards and just ruin the game entirely. Mimes were neat but never nearly as neat as having 2-3 bards on a map singing the HP song, while Mustadio snipes and Ramza as a Ninja with Steal just runs around ruining inventories.

When it finally comes down, you end up abusing certain mechanics to create combos that let you do specific things consistently, and once that's in play? Random fights are so much more intense because you get Hydras and other shit randomly attacking you first for 3x your max health, so you get into weird "best possible group" situations. Groups that don't use Mustadio are just limiting what they can pull off, because being able to Snipe for Don't Act is so hilariously OP that it makes the pure DPS of TGC not matter for the meta of the game, which is: steal everything/tame everything and one-punch Altima.

And today, I started up another game of FFT because goddamn it's one of the best games ever. Bad translation and all.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I have played through FFT about 7-8 times now and I do not think I’ve ever once used a bard.

edit: got me to thinking… I’m up to level… 18ish in act 2 in TO reborn. I have not done any sort of stealing nor even considered it. I haven’t looked up any guides or anything so I really dunno wtf I’m doing beyond killing everything. When enemies drop a bag of loot if I don’t get it during the battle do I get it as the spoils?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I have played through FFT about 7-8 times now and I do not think I’ve ever once used a bard.

edit: got me to thinking… I’m up to level… 18ish in act 2 in TO reborn. I have not done any sort of stealing nor even considered it. I haven’t looked up any guides or anything so I really dunno wtf I’m doing beyond killing everything. When enemies drop a bag of loot if I don’t get it during the battle do I get it as the spoils?

They removed the Thief class entirely - stealing is not a mechanic in the remake.

Any unclaimed loot bags on the ground are claimed automatically at the end of a battle. The only way you could miss out on them if is if an enemy steps on one and survives the fight.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ah ok, you're talking Tactics Ogre, not Final Fantasy Tactics. I was talking Final Fantasy Tactics :)

I think I'm misremebering the bard class, but it does have a map wide "your side" +1 speed bonus song, that includes itself. So the spell starts triggering faster and faster and your team just keeps getting more and more turns, which if you're stealing stuff makes it very, very favorable. Plus they can just hide wherever and the song still hits everything. Eventually whatever non-bards you have get like 2-3 turns to the enemies 1, and you run around mercing shit with zero reprecussions.

Dancers had the other effect, where they could hit all enemy units at the same time. It doesn't add up quickly but you can do stuff like reduce their speed (if I remember correctly)

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Also I find myself thinking about super rare items getting picked up off the ground, are there many? So far it’s only been crafting stuff.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Also I find myself thinking about super rare items getting picked up off the ground, are there many? So far it’s only been crafting stuff.

Near as I can tell they overhauled that system entirely and it's at least psuedo-random now.

The old previous locations for finding specific items don't have those items anymore, and everything found as a hidden item for me so far has been sundries/crafting.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Dancers had the other effect, where they could hit all enemy units at the same time. It doesn't add up quickly but you can do stuff like reduce their speed (if I remember correctly)

FFT Dancers are might be the most OP thing you can do relative to the investment. You show up, you sing Nameless song, a couple enemies are turned in to frogs and you crush the fight with your superior numbers. The class itself has bad stat growth so if you have a character be a Dancer for the most of the game they'll be behind everyone else but whatever.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
They removed the Thief class entirely - stealing is not a mechanic in the remake.
Rogue is still in the game. You can recruit a familiar that has the class or you are able to (allegedly) obtain the classmark in a shop later in the game.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Rogue is still in the game. You can recruit a familiar that has the class or you are able to (allegedly) obtain the classmark in a shop later in the game.

Interesting. I tamed one of the little rogue familiars but he didn't have a steal skill and otherwise sucked ass so I never used him further.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Did anyone play the 2 player co-op missions in the psp version of FFT? I remember them being more difficult than even deep dungeon. It was stuff like fighting a bunch of worker 8s, all zodiac bosses at once with beefed up stats, or all the boss knight type characters at once.

For some reason I remember Reis being the best character by far at that point, as lvl 99 stats actually mattered along with abilities hitting more than once so she would outperform slower single hitters like Orlandu.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
My last playthrough of FFT was quite a while ago, but I remember doing everything and getting every unique character and item.

There were lots of ways to break that game.

Using the mediator class to use brave up on characters until they were at 99 brave would permanently raise their base brave level by a small amount after each fight with diminishing returns.

Also having a low faith level reduces incoming magic damage.

A character with blade grasp, high brave and low faith is very tough to kill.

using the accumulate skill over and over will power level a group pretty quick. You can set up in some of the early maps to create infinite skill point farms and only stopping to switch classes.

Summons casting time are based on character speed. I had high level Cloud in the SOLDIER class with all the best +speed gear/haste and he could pull off 1 and 2 round zodiac summons.

Capturing and breeding rare monsters and then auctioning them will give access to some really great gear.

The fight where you recruit the robot has two pillars that if you stand on top of with move find item give the best spear and shield. Also recruit one hydra since that's the only place to get them.

Every trap in the optional last dungeon has treasure in it when using move find item. Most of which are the best in slot.

The catch skill can be used in battles with high level ninjas to catch rare high level weapons when they use the throw item skill.

You can duplicate weapons when equipped with a shield in your main hand and the dual wield skill. Go into a shop and use the auto equip feature. Your weapon swaps to your main hand and you get a duplicate in the other.

Orlandu was like the only character that could duplicate samurai swords. Which is great if you actually wanted to use the sword spirit abilities for the unique samurai swords without worrying about them breaking.

Getting Ultima on ramza requires a combination of equipment/accessories to counter all the other status effects the two assassins are using to force them to cast the spell, and you have to be in his unique squire class.

Dual wielding applies to monks and allows them to punch twice. Great early game damage.

Tons of other stuff but that's a lot of the most broken.
Huh, hadnt heard about the weapon dupe glitch .

Another one to add that most people already know is the Class JP glitch, only works on classes that have enough skills that you have to scroll. Click on one that you have enough points for, click the button to go to next page, and if it’s now on one you already have or don’t have enough for, click confirm. Leave and come back and you’ll have 9999 JP.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Thought of another fight thats a pos, but not nearly on the Wiegraff level. The vampire dude and his two bitches with high evade. Sure easy enough if you land the one shot on them, but if not they hurt.

Yeah, Elmdor and his harem bricking the guy on the roof is probably the second-roughest fight behind Wiegraf/Velius. And it's the fight right after it.

Lawl, Riovanes is such a poorly thought-out nightmare. And it being such a game-restarter like 70% of the way through the game doesn't help. At least replaying FFT isn't the worst thing in the world.

Update: Was ready to go with 5 Geomancers at Dorter, but decided to get a Mediator running and raise Bravery / lower Faith for everyone. This ended up being a mistake. Getting a Mediator didn't take long at all, and lowering Faith is fine, but raising Bravery is such a goddamn chore. +1 permanent boost per use of the skill, and it has a 50% chance or so of failing. Why buffs have a chance of failing is beyond me. Either way I knocked everyone down to like 15 Faith overall and I'm working on getting their Bravery up (at around 80 for most of them now). However it's already taking way too long, so I'll likely just go ahead and start the challenge with 80ish Brave and 15ish Faith rather than going for 97/3 or whatever.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished Chapter 1 of FFT, that's it for a few days. Got my characters to 90 Brave and 9 Faith before I called it a day with that incredibly tedious endeavor. Made a backup save right before Dorter so I never have to do it again.

In retrospect it's pretty gimpy and unnecessary anyway. Black Mages only do like 8 damage to me with spells now. The only fight that has presented any real challenge was Wiegraf at the windmill, which I damn near lost.

Got everyone all of their Geomancer abilities already too, mostly from clearing the random fights to do Mediator stat-boosts, but also because Geomancer abilities are so inexpensive.

It's definitely a fun class, I'll keep this challenge run going until I hit a brick wall. Which'll probably be Riovanes as always.

Was thinking it over and I think other classes that might be fun for an FFT single-class challenge would be Thieves, Oracles, and Summoners.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20221117_032241.jpg

Side note, this guy has real "my wife left me on Tuesday" energy

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Good sale on the Collection of SaGa (Final Fantasy Legend 1-3) on Switch. 40% off digitally currently. Has a speed-up function and basically replaces emulation for those games. Just grabbed it for like $12. Considering I played Romancing SaGa 2 earlier this year I'm a bit of a SaGa-head, but even still, anyone who likes OG FF games will probably like these.

• 1Like