JRPGs

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Turns out you definitely have to death march still to recruit Cressida in this remake which is pretty unfortunate.

Good news is the process for getting the Deneb witch chick is waaaaaay shortened.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
I deathmarched for Cressida the other day and I was surprised how fast it went. I needed about 30 points and it took me just under an hour to do it. The most efficient way to do it is to go into training with 4 spear Dragoons and 8 level one Galgistan units. Have your Dragoons shishkebab them, end turn, then retreat. I was able to do it while watching Netflix on another monitor. It wasn't nearly as bad as some of those strategies posted online are.

• 1Like

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any unclaimed loot bags on the ground are claimed automatically at the end of a battle. The only way you could miss out on them if is if an enemy steps on one and survives the fight.
What? Seriously? I was delaying ending battles running around picking up bags thinking they’d poof. Always wondered how they worked since I’d usually kill the battle boss last and his bag would fall to the ground but I didn’t have any turns to pick it up before the victory screen.

Also how do class changes work? I’m in chapter 2 and my main character is still a warrior. Only cards I’ve seen in stores charge to the default few starting classes (archer, warrior, wizard, priest, rune fencer). Do they unlock by progressing these base classes or do I just need to keep playing and eventually new class cards will start dropping or being sold

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
What? Seriously? I was delaying ending battles running around picking up bags thinking they’d poof. Always wondered how they worked since I’d usually kill the battle boss last and his bag would fall to the ground but I didn’t have any turns to pick it up before the victory screen.

Also how do class changes work? I’m in chapter 2 and my main character is still a warrior. Only cards I’ve seen in stores charge to the default few starting classes (archer, warrior, wizard, priest, rune fencer). Do they unlock by progressing these base classes or do I just need to keep playing and eventually new class cards will start dropping or being sold
There’s a “class change” button on the left when you’re on a character. You use cards to change them, the beginner classes can be purchased from stores. Later you unlock more and more by finding them from mob drops, recruiting, shop unlocks.

Rude

Potato del Grande
I death marched in training. Set AI on Galgastan recruits and let them get slaughtered while I was doing bills and other shit.

I made Denam a rune fencer and never looked back. Class rebalance is wildly different than LUCT. Left Canopus a Vartan, have a generic berserker, terror knight, (white) knight, dragoon. Rampart aura, passive Phalanx, AOE fear, beast and dragon damage buffs. It's great.

Last time I played I had three archers, Hobyrim and two ninjas carry me. I still use Hobyrim since he's a baller but it's not like I enlisted TG Cid this time.

Also - I'm good with the massive speed up in training weapons. I bailed on 1 hand swords (garbage) for katanas for Denam on my first LUCT and it was awful. I think I had the level 1 finisher when I got to the end of the game.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Later you unlock more and more by finding them from mob drops, recruiting, shop unlocks.
Perfect thank you. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something simple and could have already changed to a specific class (I want to try ninja)

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1669484084658.png

Deneb in Tactics Ogre is wearing one of those "black belt in sucking dick" chokers.

Probably my favorite RPG chick ever TBH. I wish she was animated. Even more reason that the TO remake should have had a more modern graphical update.

The wiegraff fight is a complete bitch out of nowhere because if you don't either have a ring that nulls/absorbs lightning, or rubber shoes, you die and gg. Little me nerd raged at that one quite a few times. I don't think there is a single other fight in the game that even compares either because you have other chars to revive/heal/whatever, or because you know its coming.

I checked and I can confirm that the Rubber Boots DO NOT resist the lightning damage from Wiegraf's attacks in FFT. Lightning Stab must be considered non-elemental, which is what I figured before. Would have been amazing if they'd worked. There's no good way to beat Wiegraf that I know of except various cheese tactics.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I death marched in training. Set AI on Galgastan recruits and let them get slaughtered while I was doing bills and other shit.

I made Denam a rune fencer and never looked back. Class rebalance is wildly different than LUCT. Left Canopus a Vartan, have a generic berserker, terror knight, (white) knight, dragoon. Rampart aura, passive Phalanx, AOE fear, beast and dragon damage buffs. It's great.

Last time I played I had three archers, Hobyrim and two ninjas carry me. I still use Hobyrim since he's a baller but it's not like I enlisted TG Cid this time.

Also - I'm good with the massive speed up in training weapons. I bailed on 1 hand swords (garbage) for katanas for Denam on my first LUCT and it was awful. I think I had the level 1 finisher when I got to the end of the game.

Yea the death march is at least tolerable here. I just bought 300 revive stones and sent the same group of 7 recruits out with aggressive AI to chain res each other. Only took maybe 45m while I was watching TV.

The class rebalance is pretty nice all around. Most weapons are at least viable now so it's not just the dagger/bow/axe show anymore, valkyries are actually sick, even regular knights are mostly fine.

The class restrictions still feel pretty lame for stuff like white knight and ranger being locked to just a couple of named characters though.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I checked and I can confirm that the Rubber Boots DO NOT resist the lightning damage from Wiegraf's attacks in FFT. Lightning Stab must be considered non-elemental, which is what I figured before. Would have been amazing if they'd worked. There's no good way to beat Wiegraf that I know of except various cheese tactics.
Weird? I wonder why the lightning absorb ring works then? I thought rubber shoes did too

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The whole glitch is that the AI thinks items like Chameleon Robe will absorb holy sword attacks and thus won't use them. In reality the attacks aren't elemental and would still do damage.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The whole glitch is that the AI thinks items like Chameleon Robe will absorb holy sword attacks and thus won't use them. In reality the attacks aren't elemental and would still do damage.

Chameleon Robe, that's the ticket. I knew there was an item you could have at that point in the game that made him use Monk techniques instead.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Whoa, and it's Geomancer equippable too. I'll make sure to get that on Ramza in the Geomancer game.

Interesting how it manipulates the AI. I noticed that with my characters at low Faith, enemy casters basically stopped casting on them entirely and do whatever else they have available.

Wondering if it would help with Velius himself. That fight has a lot of Cyclops, Dark Holy, and Gigaflare wrecking you. Cyclops was the most damaging one last time. It looks like an ice attack, but apparently it's non-elemental (again).

I don't see my five Geomancers getting past Velius. Hell, Gafgarion at Golgorand Execution Site is probably gonna do them in.

• 1Pathetic

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Some streamers are getting sponsored to play the remake of Crisis Core tomorrow. Usually not a bad sign when they allow streaming of the game two weeks before release even if it's just the first few hours.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
In Tactics Ogre Reborn, is everything single fight a “vanquish the leader” scenario? I’m not looking for spoilers, just curious if there is any variety other than rush the boss and kill him before his army can kill me. I’m in chapter 2 about 20 hours in and there is like 0 battle variety so far, unless I’m missing something.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
In Tactics Ogre Reborn, is everything single fight a “vanquish the leader” scenario? I’m not looking for spoilers, just curious if there is any variety other than rush the boss and kill him before his army can kill me. I’m in chapter 2 about 20 hours in and there is like 0 battle variety so far, unless I’m missing something.
There are a few that “X must survive” and “kill everyone”. Not much variety in that aspect.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Rude Rude Don't pathetic me, I was under-estimating the Geomancers.

Turns out 5 Geomancers is actually better than most normal parties. They steamrolled Golgorand Execution Site, the fight I thought might end the run. Managed to kill Gafgarion on my first turn, which I don't think I've pulled off before.

I think I usually heavily emphasize Ramza/Agrias over the other characters, while this playthrough I'm making sure all five of my characters are at the same level/equipment.

The status effects of the Geomancers seem to be firing more and more, to the point that I ended the last couple of battles with 3-4 petrified enemies on the field. Daaaamn.

On Chapter 3, Riovanes draws near. I think my next fight is the mining town with Orran. I really like that place and its music, feels like northern Europe.

Was weird how short Chapter 2 was, took like 3 hours. Chapter 1 was about 4. I don't remember the game being this quick AT ALL unless Ch 3 and 4 have all the meat.

• 1Like

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>

Turns out 5 Geomancers is actually better than most normal parties. They steamrolled Golgorand Execution Site, the fight I thought might end the run. Managed to kill Gafgarion on my first turn, which I don't think I've pulled off before.

I think I usually heavily emphasize Ramza/Agrias over the other characters, while this playthrough I'm making sure all five of my characters are at the same level/equipment.

The status effects of the Geomancers seem to be firing more and more, to the point that I ended the last couple of battles with 3-4 petrified enemies on the field. Daaaamn.

On Chapter 3, Riovanes draws near. I think my next fight is the mining town with Orran. I really like that place and its music, feels like northern Europe.

Was weird how short Chapter 2 was, took like 3 hours. Chapter 1 was about 4. I don't remember the game being this quick AT ALL unless Ch 3 and 4 have all the meat.
It goes way faster once you take out the class grinding for everyone. Also 5 geos can wreck lol... don't do Thief you will hate yourself

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Looked up a non glitched speed run just to see, 4.5 hours without using calculator lol.

These commentators are awesome, rambling all kinds of mechanics while he’s playing. Deep stuff I likely never knew or forgot about.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
My FF2 (PS1 version) playthrough is going a little less well.

I totally see why people hate FF2 so much. I'm about halfway through that game (the Arena) and at some point around the Dreadnought (two dungeons before where I am) the enemies suddenly start going first all the time, in every fight. What's worse, they get pre-emptive attacks like 75% of the time. So a pre-emptive attack means all the enemies get a turn first, then you finally get a turn, but all the enemies act first on that turn... so basically almost every fight, the enemies get two rounds of attacks off before my characters even move. And when there are 6 or 8 enemies, this gets incredibly tedious, to say nothing of how much every fight drains your character HP/MP from having to heal up from unanswered rounds of attacks.

In the Arena, things get even worse because a lot of enemies can cast AOE sleep or petrify, either of which can completely ruin your party. Combine that with enemies getting like 12-18 attacks off before your characters even move, and... yeah. There's nothing fun about it. Funny thing is, my characters are actually pretty OP and can one-shot every regular enemy with punches at this point. So the fights are actually easy once the characters actually get to move. Oh yeah, and there's another enemy that drains your MP, so you get a pack of those and your characters lose like 30% of their total MP before you even get to move. MP is at an absolute premium in this game because of aforementioned needing tons of healing.

I wonder if raising Agility would help with all of this. I thought that just affected your Evasion% but maybe there's a speed component? I stopped equipping shields a while ago so it might explain why everyone is so slow. At this point it's borderline unplayable.

I was having a similar issue with FFT for a while, where enemies would all go first during fights and it was annoying. That stopped at some point in Chapter 2 though, I guess my Geomancers outpaced the enemy speed.

EDIT: I figured it out, not having shields equipped was indeed the problem. In FF2 if you unequip shields, everyone hits like 2-3x harder, but never gain Agility, and before too long the enemies just start outpacing them constantly. So I put shields back on everyone and am leveling speed again. What a weird game.

Last edited:

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Everyone shut the fuck up... Front Missions just dropped for the switch. About fucking time, and they announced 2 and 3 are coming as well.

• 1Like