JRPGs

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
CHRONO CROSS: THE RADICAL DREAMERS EDITION - Patch Notes March 2023
- The frame rate during battles is now set to a maximum of 60 fps* on all platforms. (30 fps maximum outside of battle scenes)
- Adjusted Pip's stats/Element Grid settings
Well at least they did something, way too late.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Just got finished playing Octopath Traveler 2, 8/10. I love the graphical style.

If you are wanting some turn-based goodness I recommend it.

• 1Like

Malakriss

4/25 XBC3 update

Pyra/Mythra amiibo July 21 and Noah/Mio will be at a later date

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just had a thought. Legend says that Xenogears was supposed to be Chrono Trigger 2 early in life before it got repurposed into its own thing. Which makes me wonder... maybe the six eras of time in Xenogears weren't intended to be six different games, like Xenogears fans have been thinking for two decades. Maybe they were intended to be time periods you'd visit in the one game.

It actually kinda lines up with CT having eras in time. Xenogears has six "eras" outlined in Perfect Works while Chrono Trigger has five eras you explore during the game.

The Far Past (Xeno) - No CT equivalent, but it takes place in space anyway, not on the planet. Wouldn't expect this in the game past the intro.
10,000 years ago (Xeno) = 65M BC (CT) - The genesis of humans on the planet
3,000 years ago (Xeno) = 12,000 BC (CT) - An ancient high-tech civilization is thriving, then collapses
400 years ago (Xeno) = 400 years ago (CT) - Near-past where a big war is taking place
Present (Both)
Future (Xeno) = 2300 AD (CT) - Future to see how things turned out

Never even really thought about this until now but I think it makes total sense that they fleshed out these eras to be the "time zones" of the game back when it was Chrono Trigger 2, then kept their work around for Xenogears Perfect Works etc while keeping the game firmly in the present era. This leading all of us to speculate for 20 years that they were going to make a six-game series or something. Nope, maybe "Xenogears Chapter I-VI) were actually time-zones for Chrono Trigger 2. My God.

• 1Jonesing

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Just had a thought. Legend says that Xenogears was supposed to be Chrono Trigger 2 early in life before it got repurposed into its own thing. Which makes me wonder... maybe the six eras of time in Xenogears weren't intended to be six different games, like Xenogears fans have been thinking for two decades. Maybe they were intended to be time periods you'd visit in the one game.

It actually kinda lines up with CT having eras in time. Xenogears has six "eras" outlined in Perfect Works while Chrono Trigger has five eras you explore during the game.

The Far Past (Xeno) - No CT equivalent, but it takes place in space anyway, not on the planet. Wouldn't expect this in the game past the intro.
10,000 years ago (Xeno) = 65M BC (CT) - The genesis of humans on the planet
3,000 years ago (Xeno) = 12,000 BC (CT) - An ancient high-tech civilization is thriving, then collapses
400 years ago (Xeno) = 400 years ago (CT) - Near-past where a big war is taking place
Present (Both)
Future (Xeno) = 2300 AD (CT) - Future to see how things turned out

Never even really thought about this until now but I think it makes total sense that they fleshed out these eras to be the "time zones" of the game back when it was Chrono Trigger 2, then kept their work around for Xenogears Perfect Works etc while keeping the game firmly in the present era. This leading all of us to speculate for 20 years that they were going to make a six-game series or something. Nope, maybe it was time-zones for Chrono Trigger 2. My God.

Xenogears was intially pitched for FF7.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Xenogears was intially pitched for FF7.

That's another thing.

Xenogears was going to be Chrono Trigger 2 (and likely have the other time periods of the game's history as the travelable time eras).

While FF7 was going to be a combination of (our) Xenogears and Parasite Eve.

All the early ideas that they dropped from FF7 ended up forming into Xenogears and PE while FF7 got a new story and Chrono Trigger 2 got yoinked out of existence.

Then Chrono Cross was created as ostensibly CT2, but IT was actually... a Radical Dreamers sequel about two alternate dimensions and the "CT2" aspect of it just kinda got lumped onto it since CT2 as a concept was homeless.

..........have a headache yet?

To put it another way, in some alternate universe there's a Chrono Trigger 2 that's Xenogears' world with the other eras added in as part of the story, an FF7 that has Xenogears' mechs and gameplay and overall story, a Radical Dreamers 2 that's basically Chrono Cross without the Chrono name added onto it, and Parasite Eve doesn't exist because all of its concepts are rolled up into FF7 the mech game. In this hypothetical FF7's story about The Planet was the thing that got yoinked out of existence to make room for the others.

Well, now I have a headache. Either way I'm finding this "Xenogears is the remnants of a Chrono Trigger 2" concept even more interesting than all of the "Chrono Trigger and SD3 are branch-offs of Secret of Mana" theorizing I've done.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Chrono Cross remaster is on sale for like $11 on PSN for the next couple weeks. FYI for anyone who wants to get it.

Finally grabbed it even with no plan to play it. At that price, sure. Maybe I'll have my mom over and play some of it, since we were really into it when I was a kid.

Crazy how there's also a Legend of Dragoon remaster now.

• 1Pathetic

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Is that chick wearing flesh-colored pants?

This was definitely on my radar a year ago, looks like a Chrono Trigger homage. They got Yasunori Mitsuda on-board for it (not sure how many tracks he actually contributed). Trinity Trigger was also on my radar since it brought back the composer and world designer from Secret of Mana, but I haven't even gotten to that one yet.

Rude Rude You suck

• 1Smuggly

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Anyone knowledgeable on the Shin Megami Tensei main series? Doubt I'll ever play that series but I am wondering which one is worth a play if I were to just play one. Liked the Persona games a lot and from what I've read SMT is basically a harder version of Persona that focuses more on dungeon crawling than the sim aspects. I'm missing the Persona system of equipping Persona with different strengths/weaknesses and there doesn't seem to be a P6 any time soon.

• 1Pathetic

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anyone knowledgeable on the Shin Megami Tensei main series? Doubt I'll ever play that series but I am wondering which one is worth a play if I were to just play one. Liked the Persona games a lot and from what I've read SMT is basically a harder version of Persona that focuses more on dungeon crawling than the sim aspects. I'm missing the Persona system of equipping Persona with different strengths/weaknesses and there doesn't seem to be a P6 any time soon.
Nocturne (III) and V are both excellent games. Remastered Nocturne is still clearly a PS2 game though, and although they did add some QOL stuff it's still way short of what is in V. So if you think you might play them both, I'd strongly advise playing Nocturne first since it's pretty hard to go back to after playing V. Nocturne is also much harder if it's a challenge you're after.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn’t realize this was going to be on PS+ so that’s a bonus. Will maybe check it out tonight. Anyone playing it yet?

Needless

Toe Sucker
Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1/2 and SMT4 are all great
I bought but never played the devil summoner games but heard they're good

spronk

FPS noob
I played Sea of Stars on PS+ for a bit, weird that its on gamepass and PS+. Its fine, reminds me a bit of Eiyuden Chronicles and Octopath but the characters are kinda boring so far. Hopefully it picks up. It is turn based combat so thats nice, doesn't feel frantic.

Malakriss

Before anyone gets crazy min/maxing bonus stats like in Super Mario RPG, it appears the maximum appearance of each stat is fixed. So you're merely choosing the order in which you receive the bonus stats on level up but each will hit a max and no longer appear thus making you choose the other ones until they all hit their limit.

Later party members will have random choices for their bonuses so people were getting freaky about having to do low level runs until you get every character but this appears to eliminate any concerns as you reach higher levels.

• 1Like