JRPGs

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I just finished chained echoes, took me around 40 hours to beat it and do the optional bosses. Game was really great. My recommendation is don't get bogged down in worrying about crystals or even ++ing all the gear. You replace it all too quickly and it's much more enjoyable to just plow on and lower enemy stats in the settings for exploring instead. I didn't put crystals into anything until i had ultimate weapons. Agi stacking makes everything super easy later on anyway.

It had some cool xenogears/fft style story beats/presentation in a few parts, but really came into its own thing by the end. Ton of side stuff to do with interesting things here and there. Characters were pretty good. It really feels like it could have fit right in with other snes/psx classics.
I’m like 25-30 hours in and by the board I only have a couple areas left. I have one of the ultimate deals that I can see. Since I can tell you eventually get a “final” weapon/armor I’ve just been using shitty crystals I don’t care about in all the weapons and armor before I get ultimate. Once I figured that out I decided I don’t really hate the upgrade system like I did at first. Just have to figure out very early what are likely the good crystals and save those til the end.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Not sure what thread to put this in: I think this is where we were discussing FF Tactics so I guess this one.

I keep having this recurring dream about playing an FF Tactics with the cut content / maps restored and multiple new Lucavi demons. I mean they only gave us five out of the twelve Zodiac Braves, where are the rest?

In particular I keep having a dream where there's a secret uberboss fight with Duma (the Taurus Lucavi, which was supposed to be Algus later in the game). I hope this means the upcoming? FF Tactics Reborn remake is going to have some new stuff.

• 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Idk, Tactics Ogre Reborn is cool but they failed on a lot of the end game mechanics. Lots of shit isn’t working right on armor bonuses, elemental damage, etc. They didn’t even do a fully knock out remake of the core game itself let alone add anything. It would be cool of course but I think they’re kind of lazy.

Also, seek professional help maybe.

• 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
In particular I keep having a dream where there's a secret uberboss fight with Duma (the Taurus Lucavi, which was supposed to be Algus later in the game). I hope this means the upcoming? FF Tactics Reborn remake is going to have some new stuff.
This actually happens in FF14.

• 1Galaxy Brain

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Idk, Tactics Ogre Reborn is cool but they failed on a lot of the end game mechanics. Lots of shit isn’t working right on armor bonuses, elemental damage, etc. They didn’t even do a fully knock out remake of the core game itself let alone add anything. It would be cool of course but I think they’re kind of lazy.

Also, seek professional help maybe.

Dreams about FF Tactics are pretty far down the list of reasons I need professional help. And yeah, I've been realizing lately that Square-Enix is lazier than I thought. Not just the Tactics Reborn laziness, but also Crisis Core. The remaster seems really well-done, but they didn't add anything new to it to tie in with FF7R-2. Absolutely nothing on the content side. So anyone buying CC Reunion expecting it to lead into FF7R-2 or have some crucial new story to it...nope. I feel like they just didn't bother and are winging it with the FF7R series, where before I at least thought MAYBE there was some kind of plan going on.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Dreams about FF Tactics are pretty far down the list of reasons I need professional help. And yeah, I've been realizing lately that Square-Enix is lazier than I thought. Not just the Tactics Reborn laziness, but also Crisis Core. The remaster seems really well-done, but they didn't add anything new to it to tie in with FF7R-2. Absolutely nothing on the content side. So anyone buying CC Reunion expecting it to lead into FF7R-2 or have some crucial new story to it...nope. I feel like they just didn't bother and are winging it with the FF7R series, where before I at least thought MAYBE there was some kind of plan going on.
Why would they tie-in CC to FF7R? They would need to make a new game in-between CC and FF7R. It's about a 7 year gap between the two so it would make no sense to link them together.

• 1Slow

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
People got delusional over FF7R too, despite info on exactly what they were making out since the release announcement and reiterated over several interviews.

Square announced a CC remaster, said exactly what it was, it was that, yet the keyboard turners still got ridiculous ideas in their head.

• 1Edgelord

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Why would they tie-in CC to FF7R? They would need to make a new game in-between CC and FF7R. It's about a 7 year gap between the two so it would make no sense to link them together.

Did you play FF7R? The ending of it shows something new happening at the end of Crisis Core. It's idiotic and they should have left Crisis Core alone, but I'm still surprised that this new version of Crisis Core doesn't even have the slightest whiff of referencing FF7R's ending.

People got delusional over FF7R too, despite info on exactly what they were making out since the release announcement and reiterated over several interviews.

Square announced a CC remaster, said exactly what it was, it was that, yet the keyboard turners still got ridiculous ideas in their head.

I'm actually glad the CC remaster is nothing more than the original game, because the original game was fine the way it was and didn't need them fucking with the ending like they did in FF7R.

All I was saying was that I think they might be lazy since they did a straight CC port instead of adding anything new to it to fit their dumb new vision for the FF7 series. I don't think Crisis Core Remake has a single Whisper in it!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Did you play FF7R? The ending of it shows something new happening at the end of Crisis Core. It's idiotic and they should have left Crisis Core alone, but I'm still surprised that this new version of Crisis Core doesn't even have the slightest whiff of referencing FF7R's ending.

I'm actually glad the CC remaster is nothing more than the original game, because the original game was fine the way it was and didn't need them fucking with the ending like they did in FF7R.

All I was saying was that I think they might be lazy since they did a straight CC port instead of adding anything new to it to fit their dumb new vision for the FF7 series. I don't think Crisis Core Remake has a single Whisper in it!

It's not like they are doing this randomly though. They said they've been planning the plotline for 15+ years.

Whispers were fate who tried to keep the original events in place. The new plot so to speak of FF7 remake is that the original happened along with Advent Children, Sephiroth didn't like how that ended since he "died", and as such he goes back in time? and tries to change fate, and manipulates the party into destroying it. The end of remake is a new timeline, still the same as the last, but now without "fate", it's open to change. As far as I know, everyone is unaware of this so far, even Aerith. Though in the short stories (canon) spanning the time between the original and Advent Children, she did learn in the lifestream that Sephiroth is tied directly to Cloud. As long as Cloud even remembers/knows of Sephiroth, Sephiroth can be reborn.

But if Crisis Core doesn't change in the remaster, then the game still features the first timeline before something changes when they destroy fate. However, that change in the end of Crisis Core would be timeline 3, since when they do exit Midgar in the FF7 remake, Zack is still dead.

It's very Nomura.

• 2Barf

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not sure what thread to put this in: I think this is where we were discussing FF Tactics so I guess this one.

I keep having this recurring dream about playing an FF Tactics with the cut content / maps restored and multiple new Lucavi demons. I mean they only gave us five out of the twelve Zodiac Braves, where are the rest?

There are some pretty decent fan mods that do this or even have a whole new story for the steam version of the game. The PSP version of Tactics Ogre had mods out for it that really made it the best version of the game out there (One Vision mod). If you have the setup, I highly recommend them all.

As for the current one, yeah a bunch of end game shit is busted but this series has always had that in some form. The elemental mods being busted is probably the most egregious one that impacts late game, but I am annoyed at effects and stats not stacking right when placing a weapon in each hand. Its especially annoying on the Princess, where only the mainhand effect works (Brunhid's parry vs + spell range for the staff I offhand) and the stats are not stacking correctly.

But you can always just break the game in other ways, like dual weilding Buccaneer Canopus or Fire Shaman Deneb. The lategame still revolves around mana rods and chain casting the multi hit spells. The only real major nerf was Archers getting completely reduced to charmbot potion jockeys.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The armor stuff is pretty shittily broken too. You only get damage reduction from whatever weapon type you yourself have equipped. So if you are using a slasher you get slashing reduction from your armor but not piercing or blunt. I don’t think the elemental reductions is working at all, racial reductions are about the only thing working correctly. Elemental bonuses on items not working makes a lot of gear 100% useless, like the elemental rings.

I’ve read that archers are broken (in a good way) at the end game but I don’t know what people are doing to get that, archers seem to suck to me, I don’t like the severe damage reduction on heavy armored mobs.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There are some pretty decent fan mods that do this or even have a whole new story for the steam version of the game. The PSP version of Tactics Ogre had mods out for it that really made it the best version of the game out there (One Vision mod). If you have the setup, I highly recommend them all.

As for the current one, yeah a bunch of end game shit is busted but this series has always had that in some form. The elemental mods being busted is probably the most egregious one that impacts late game, but I am annoyed at effects and stats not stacking right when placing a weapon in each hand. Its especially annoying on the Princess, where only the mainhand effect works (Brunhid's parry vs + spell range for the staff I offhand) and the stats are not stacking correctly.

But you can always just break the game in other ways, like dual weilding Buccaneer Canopus or Fire Shaman Deneb. The lategame still revolves around mana rods and chain casting the multi hit spells. The only real major nerf was Archers getting completely reduced to charmbot potion jockeys.
There's mods for the Steam version?

(There is no Steam version.)

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Might have been PSP. I remember doing it on an emulator when I played One Vision.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I’ve read that archers are broken (in a good way) at the end game but I don’t know what people are doing to get that, archers seem to suck to me, I don’t like the severe damage reduction on heavy armored mobs.
Supposedly scaling is busted on archers, so you see this monster attack value (my version of Arycele is sitting at around 1300) but its like you are fighting shit ten levels or more higher and all damage is practically chip damage. Guaranteed charm is ok, if you prefer that to Petrify to CC, but even yhis version is pretty much every battle fighting uphill even in a lot of PotD, which made even the god mode archers of the PSP base version somewhat neutered, especially once you start clearing the floating angel island. With the way this game throws flight and teleport items at you, though, you are better off throwing a pair of strong weapons on a dual wielder of just spam shaman barrages, esp if you are actually using Iura as a Bard like I am. Nearly every fight is one round of charging rods then a never ending stream of nukes from about 4-5 casters. And if the bard is bored, then she is usually sitting on a fairly busted dagger special that hits hard from a decent distance in between powering up the nukers.

But it would be nice if they fixed some of his shit to introduce some variety, if for no other reason. Would be nice to have some working defenses for the endless "4 bird rush" every other PotD level seems to put you in. BTW the resistance perks don't do shit for Charm and petrify, so make sure you pack a cleric with auto self Ease and the boosted Ease (they are almost completely useless as healers end game). Clerics might be the most nerfed class this time out, seemingly only existing to exorcise undead and clear status ailments. But you end up with multiple Oricans and Katua with Starfall, so you end up needing them even less towards the end.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Wait, are you saying there are FFT mods that add cut Lucavi/maps back in? Where can I find these mods? I assume you're talking about the PSP War of the Lions version.

I need to start getting into the mod community in general. I've modded literally nothing over the years, except Elder Scrolls games to make them look better or make low-level characters not miss constantly.

It's not like they are doing this randomly though. They said they've been planning the plotline for 15+ years.

Whispers were fate who tried to keep the original events in place. The new plot so to speak of FF7 remake is that the original happened along with Advent Children, Sephiroth didn't like how that ended since he "died", and as such he goes back in time? and tries to change fate, and manipulates the party into destroying it. The end of remake is a new timeline, still the same as the last, but now without "fate", it's open to change. As far as I know, everyone is unaware of this so far, even Aerith. Though in the short stories (canon) spanning the time between the original and Advent Children, she did learn in the lifestream that Sephiroth is tied directly to Cloud. As long as Cloud even remembers/knows of Sephiroth, Sephiroth can be reborn.

But if Crisis Core doesn't change in the remaster, then the game still features the first timeline before something changes when they destroy fate. However, that change in the end of Crisis Core would be timeline 3, since when they do exit Midgar in the FF7 remake, Zack is still dead.

It's very Nomura.

I mean, all of that is beside the point of what I was saying about CC Reunion. But yeah, I understand what they're doing, I just don't like it. The complete lack of anything new in CCR means that either A) They're too lazy to do anything besides a remastered port, B) They didn't think anything needed to be added because Timeline 3 and all that, or C) They thought better of all of the "let's kill Fate!" shit in FF7R and are backpedaling from it. If only.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Wait, are you saying there are FFT mods that add cut Lucavi/maps back in? Where can I find these mods? I assume you're talking about the PSP War of the Lions version.

I need to start getting into the mod community in general. I've modded literally nothing over the years, except Elder Scrolls games to make them look better or make low-level characters not miss constantly.

I mean, all of that is beside the point of what I was saying about CC Reunion. But yeah, I understand what they're doing, I just don't like it. The complete lack of anything new in CCR means that either A) They're too lazy to do anything besides a remastered port, B) They didn't think anything needed to be added because Timeline 3 and all that, or C) They thought better of all of the "let's kill Fate!" shit in FF7R and are backpedaling from it. If only.
Why are you still bitching about CCR? It is and was only going to be a remaster of the original game. There was never anything mentioned about adding to it or linking it to any of the new FF7's. It has nothing to do with laziness, it has to do with you being retarded.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
alrighty-then.gif

spronk

FPS noob
nier automata is getting the anime treatment next year, trailer dropped today

• 2Like

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Hateyou Hateyou Phazael Phazael I don't think the endgame elemental bonuses are "busted," I think they were outright removed. The info screens for armor and jewelry don't have any place for damage bonuses, only resistances. It's very bizarre that this choice was made, sort of like how it's also very bizarre that Agility and Avoidance do nothing.

Regarding weapon stacking on Catiua, I noticed that having the sword in the mainhand and staff in the offhand is bugged as well, but it seems to work having the staff in the mainhand and sword in the offhand. (I haven't gotten a parry with it yet so I can't confirm that passive still works but the spell range definitely works.)