JRPGs

joz123

Potato del Grande
Before anyone gets crazy min/maxing bonus stats like in Super Mario RPG, it appears the maximum appearance of each stat is fixed. So you're merely choosing the order in which you receive the bonus stats on level up but each will hit a max and no longer appear thus making you choose the other ones until they all hit their limit.
Good. Hate games where you are screwed if you pick the wrong stats.

Siliconemelons

FYI If you backed Sea of Stars for physical only, because of the delay of physical copies to 2024 they are giving you a 'free' digital version on the platform you chose for your physical copy.

So look for the email if so, I was not expecting it so I didn't really pay attention to the emails lol

joz123

Potato del Grande
Been playing SoS on PS5 and load times are fast. Game is pretty good but levels mean nothing in this really since enemies scale with you. Just the extra stats help.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So I'm a noob to jrpg's. I haven't played one since FF10 was current.

I've been hankering for something new to play on steamdeck and thought I'd get one.

Sea of Stars or Octopath Traveler 1?

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I keep trying to play Sea if Stars but I think it is just kind of boring. I only manage to play for about an hour before shutting it off. Chained Echoes was way better I think.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So I'm a noob to jrpg's. I haven't played one since FF10 was current.

I've been hankering for something new to play on steamdeck and thought I'd get one.

Sea of Stars or Octopath Traveler 1?
Chained Echoes imo. Octopath Traveler 2 is decent, can skip 1 as they aren’t connected and 2 is what 1 should have been. Tactics Ogre remake is also solid.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Never heard of Chained Echoes, looks cool and reviews sound fun. Also cheapest of the 3...

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga 1/2 and SMT4 are all great
I bought but never played the devil summoner games but heard they're good

Yeah I heard good things about SMT4. Sounds like 4 and 5 are probably the best QOL ones. I tried out 1 and 2 on the Super Famicom and they're ROUGH. They do that super-early 3D thing where you're moving down nondescript single-color hallways one block at a time in four directions. Was hoping they'd just be normal RPGs. Nocturne also kinda sounds like a pain.

SMT4 has a killer soundtrack from what little I listened to a few years ago and it being more modern helps. Is SMT4: Apocalypse a sequel or an FES type remodel or what?

I'm not into the anime aspect of Persona and all of the high school drama because I'm not a teenager or obese, but I really like the gameplay and the equippable demons that change strengths/weaknesses and all that jazz. What I'd really like is a regular RPG that uses those mechanics, only with like, adult characters and an interesting world that can be explored. Bonus points if it isn't anime style which I know is hard to find now, even Fire Emblem traded in its tremendous art style for generic anime.

Last edited:

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yeah I heard good things about SMT4. Sounds like 4 and 5 are probably the best QOL ones. I tried out 1 and 2 on the Super Famicom and they're ROUGH. They do that super-early 3D thing where you're moving down nondescript single-color hallways one block at a time in four directions. Was hoping they'd just be normal RPGs. Nocturne also kinda sounds like a pain.

SMT4 has a killer soundtrack from what little I listened to a few years ago and it being more modern helps. Is SMT4: Apocalypse a sequel or an FES type remodel or what?

I'm not into the anime aspect of Persona and all of the high school drama because I'm not a teenager or obese, but I really like the gameplay and the equippable demons that change strengths/weaknesses and all that jazz. What I'd really like is a regular RPG that uses those mechanics, only with like, adult characters and an interesting world that can be explored. Bonus points if it isn't anime style which I know is hard to find now, even Fire Emblem traded in its tremendous art style for generic anime.
IIRC apocalypse is basically a different game, the story changes a lot i believe? honestly i forgot it even existed lol, i think most people say to just play the original SMT4 though for what it's worth. I've only played the original SMT4

I haven't played SMT5 myself, i might get around to it but theres so many fucking games now its absurd lol. I should buy it anyway since i usually buy every dumb SMT series game that comes out anyway even if i dont touch it

Caliane

seas of stars and chained echoes are both on gamepass.

doing sea of stars atm.

a tip. when doing the daylight crystal puzzles, the light spins faster with a keyboard then controller. was failing the simplest puzzles over and over and couldn't figure out what the trick was... swapped to keyboard. instantly solved.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Sea of stars combat is way more interesting than chained echos but the pacing in CE is way better. CE hits the ground running and stays fantastic throughout. SoS is holding me because of all the combat options and mini game built in. I do what to see where to story goes so will keep it rolling.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Dunno if it counts as a JRPG but this pokemon style one is getting recommended to me on steam now

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Sea of stars combat is way more interesting than chained echos but the pacing in CE is way better. CE hits the ground running and stays fantastic throughout. SoS is holding me because of all the combat options and mini game built in. I do what to see where to story goes so will keep it rolling.
Chained Echoes didn’t hold my attention but probably because I was playing it on vacation/airplane. Need to pick it up again when I’m finished with Sea of Stars which is really amazing.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Chained Echoes didn’t hold my attention but probably because I was playing it on vacation/airplane. Need to pick it up again when I’m finished with Sea of Stars which is really amazing.

While I like both I think Sea of Stars has a far more engaging story and likeable characters. It does well at pulling you in right from the get go. While Chained Echoes is a solid combat system for the JRPG Sea of Stars spin on it is also more engaging.

Chained Echoes retains that more classic feel with just a few things to keep it more interesting.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
IIRC apocalypse is basically a different game, the story changes a lot i believe? honestly i forgot it even existed lol, i think most people say to just play the original SMT4 though for what it's worth. I've only played the original SMT4

I haven't played SMT5 myself, i might get around to it but theres so many fucking games now its absurd lol. I should buy it anyway since i usually buy every dumb SMT series game that comes out anyway even if i dont touch it

"So many games now it's absurd" is right. I think at this point having any kind of "backlog" is rendered pretty moot because there's no way anybody can possibly get to everything they want to and trying will just consume your life.

I was gonna check out SMT4 and probably 5 but I don't think I've really got any room for any major RPGs anyway.

Anyone else feel like the days were longer in the 90's? I remember summer vacations almost feeling longer than years are now.