JRPGs

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
"So many games now it's absurd" is right. I think at this point having any kind of "backlog" is rendered pretty moot because there's no way anybody can possibly get to everything they want to and trying will just consume your life.

I was gonna check out SMT4 and probably 5 but I don't think I've really got any room for any major RPGs anyway.

Anyone else feel like the days were longer in the 90's? I remember summer vacations almost feeling longer than years are now.
Just something that happens with age. The older you get the faster time seems to go by.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
I just bought a steam deck so i figured i'd wait to play Sea of Stars until i get it, that game looks so good.
I actually want to try and see how it emulates the old digital devil saga 1&2 games since that talk of SMT made me want to go back and play some again

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Picked this up, as I enjoyed the demo. Love the graphics, setting and the music. Can’t comment on the story much as I’m only a few hours in, I do like the dialogue isn’t afraid to blow you shit and there have been a couple surprisingly adult conversations.

The controls are bafflingly bad on a controller. It has been their biggest complaint and driver of negative reviews though and they say they are working on it. I was surprised how bad they were, as if their dev team had never played a strategy rpg on a controller before. Plays fine on kb/m. I made a couple of suggestions about the UI after playing the demo and they implemented them, so hopefully the controller issue gets fixed eventually.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So Sea of Stars is actually good? The art style instantly turned me off, and I just assumed it was about fighting the great evils of racism, homophobia, transphobia and misogyny with lots of strong women leading the charge.

Juvarisx

Florida
So Sea of Stars is actually good? The art style instantly turned me off, and I just assumed it was about fighting the great evils of racism, homophobia, transphobia and misogyny with lots of strong women leading the charge.

Yep I enjoyed it, I think the switch version is considered the best port, it payed flawlessly on it for me. Reminds me of a SNES JRPG but more modernized, and the dude who did all the music for Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, and Xeno Gears did a bunch of tracks for it.

spronk

FPS noob

theres none of that shit in here, its just mostly goofy. Its very heavy in the tropes of friendship, adventure, and helping retarded villagers

its not woke, its not grim dark, its just mostly goofy with a splash of tropey BAD GUY IS EVIL CUZ HE IS EVIL

i don't think its amazing but its decent fun and definitely has that 90s JRPG vibe but good QoL improvements. Its on GamePass AND PS+ Premium, thats the only way i'd play it honestly. I'm playing on PS5, only about 15 hours in. I rarely get more than an hour or two in a session before I'm ready to go to bed lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Got to the first big twist and so far it remains fantastic. For those that don't know when a fish jump press X to stun it.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had to read the in game guide to learn fishing. Had no idea you had to keep them inside the light area when you’re reeling them in.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sea of Stars was great. Really enjoyed the Chrono Trigger feel. I will say I was disappointed by the way the game ended. Felt really anticlimactic, but overall well worth your time.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I just slammed my dick in a door about fishing until I figured it out.

The man's way.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There is a new game+ that I am about to finish but I dont know if I have it in me to 100% this game, I dont really like the minigame and I wasn't buying every recipe as I went through the game, etc.. It really is a Chrono Trigger clone maybe not the entire story but the style and everything, so if you liked that you will love this. I loved the general video game easter eggs they had, like the robot boss that was 100% a contra level, etc.

Caliane

Finished sea of stars "secret true ending". just a couple extra things you need to do after beating it once. it sends you back to the save before the boss, and lets you go do a few more tasks.

The "true ending" doesn't actually go very far in closing up loose ends, or giving any real closure.

Thats definitely one of the games weakpoints. the story is weak. Theres two problems. one is the tone. and the other is the game setting up the cinematic universe, and not actually dealing with THIS games story.

tone, a few too many silly, and not fitting into the world characters like Yolanda the pirate. Garl himself. The world itself seems designed for the game first, not a living world either.
This funnily enough contradicts the other major problem where WAY WAY too much of the game is setting up the companies multiverse. Fleshmancer and alchemist. to the point, the endings end up super lame because one, you don't even fight the big bad, and the other you do, but he just leaves in the end.
(this is the same universe as "the messenger" same company. story from what I understand does not directly relate, but again same universe.)

the game would have been better suited if it spent more time on THIS world, and THIS struggle. not setting up the universe, and constantly pulling deus ex machinas from Gandalf to save the day.

Relatively short game. 30$ price tag suits it pretty well. or, free on gamepass of course.
animated cutscenes are pretty great.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Finished sea of stars "secret true ending". just a couple extra things you need to do after beating it once. it sends you back to the save before the boss, and lets you go do a few more tasks.

The "true ending" doesn't actually go very far in closing up loose ends, or giving any real closure.

Thats definitely one of the games weakpoints. the story is weak. Theres two problems. one is the tone. and the other is the game setting up the cinematic universe, and not actually dealing with THIS games story.

tone, a few too many silly, and not fitting into the world characters like Yolanda the pirate. Garl himself. The world itself seems designed for the game first, not a living world either.
This funnily enough contradicts the other major problem where WAY WAY too much of the game is setting up the companies multiverse. Fleshmancer and alchemist. to the point, the endings end up super lame because one, you don't even fight the big bad, and the other you do, but he just leaves in the end.
(this is the same universe as "the messenger" same company. story from what I understand does not directly relate, but again same universe.)

the game would have been better suited if it spent more time on THIS world, and THIS struggle. not setting up the universe, and constantly pulling deus ex machinas from Gandalf to save the day.

Relatively short game. 30$ price tag suits it pretty well. or, free on gamepass of course.
animated cutscenes are pretty great.

Couple friends of mine are getting SoS. If it's really a Chrono Trigger homage I should really play it. I'll get to it eventually. I feel like a ton of what makes CT magical is A) The interesting setting, with the time travel and the general mood of it all, B) The incredible soundtrack that makes everything spring to life. I don't know if SoS has either of those things, really, at all.

Other things I wanted to check out: Trinity Trigger, Harvestella, Chained Echoes. CE has been discussed quite a bit on here, but anyone play Trinity Trigger or Harvestella and can recommend/not recommend?

TT was made by the world designer and composer of Secret of Mana and is a direct homage to that game so it's probably top of my list next time I get an indie JRPG. Have hardly heard anyone even talking about it though and it came out months ago.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Couple friends of mine are getting SoS. If it's really a Chrono Trigger homage I should really play it. I'll get to it eventually. I feel like a ton of what makes CT magical is A) The interesting setting, with the time travel and the general mood of it all, B) The incredible soundtrack that makes everything spring to life. I don't know if SoS has either of those things, really, at all.

Other things I wanted to check out: Trinity Trigger, Harvestella, Chained Echoes. CE has been discussed quite a bit on here, but anyone play Trinity Trigger or Harvestella and can recommend/not recommend?

TT was made by the world designer and composer of Secret of Mana and is a direct homage to that game so it's probably top of my list next time I get an indie JRPG. Have hardly heard anyone even talking about it though and it came out months ago.

Harvestella is okay. I have a Steam review for it here: Steam Community :: Kriptini :: Review for HARVESTELLA

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
yeah i'm about 70% (?) through Sea of Stars and enjoying it, it does get more hardcore in story about halfway through.

SoS soundtrack is pretty good, i've been humming along to a few songs and I honestly rarely remember anything musical from games. It has nice QoL improvements from old RPGs like way more save points and artifacts that let you tweak difficulty but doesn't take it too far, there is no quest journal or even map most of the time.

i'm playing on PS5 the "free" PS+ version and zero issues at all, although with the visuals i'm sure it plays great on a switch or deck too. No cross save sadly so I can't import my ps5 save onto xbox or vica versa.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Told myself I wouldn't save scum in SO2R because it completely trivializes most of the game... first goodie box I opened had Sorcerer's Knuckles and a silver rod, and the freebie benefaction card gave me a Sword of Marvels.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Finally got around to finishing Sea of Stars. Overall enjoyed it but the first quarter of the game felt like a tutorial and really dragged imo.

10/10 visuals/music
7/10 story/pacing

Definitely interested to see what they pump out next.

• 1Like